Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

umm help

Options
  • 19-05-2002 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

i have overclocked a few CPU`s and i am doing one now and its bugging me.
    The system
    KK266plus R
    Duron 800
    1024 pc 100 ram
    basic Duron CPU fan and basic PSU fan.
    I got a Mechatronics 80db fan from Ocuk.
    Using both fans to create a "draught" effect 1 blowing 1 suking.
    So uses the in built Ocing option in the Iwill board
    Got the CPU to 900 fine 29 temp
    played a few CPU heavy games MOHAA/Max Payne left it on for 24 hours next day still 29 temp.
    So then went for the 1 gig mark *should be easy with a Duron and proper cooling*.
    PC wont start get bad bios checksum and other Bios error.
    I used the FSB 100 and incremented that up slowly 1 notch at a time it freaks out at about 116 FSB.
    Also tried 133 fsb it gave same error.
    Anyone any ideas why this is happeneing.
    In theory this should be straightforward Duron + Iwill Smart Stepping = easy Oc
    thx
    kdja

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Sounds like the board or the ram doesnt like the high fsb.
    Try unlock the multiplyers and up them.
    Also try OcUK Forums for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

The motherboard is designed for 133fsb, but erm you are trying to run a gig of pc100 ram over spec? Thats asking for trouble, try running with just 1 dimm, and also find a pc133 dimm to try in the machine.

Or maybe you just got a dud duron chip. If you raise the voltage a bit that will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Had a quick go at it today.
    Whipped out some ram left in the crucial 256 stick.
    Got it to 119 fsb for ages then installed somfin and on reboot after about 2 hours on it (playing MOHAA with my Winmodem online) went bios checksum error.
    Now i bought all the ram when it went cheap last year and its done me well so i think its cheaper to just get a new CPU rather than buying RAM cos if i bought 133 ram i would want 1024 again :)
    I have a 2nd board that i will get the duron Oced on an ughhhh ECS K7vza board.
    Thx for the help much appreciated :)
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well, you have established that the ram stops you going over 116 fsb, so if you get a new cpu, you will still be limited by that 116mhz fsb. It will limit memory bandwidth, and the machine will not be nearly as fast as you expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

For God's sake man, get some PC133 RAM!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Gerry Well, you have established that the ram stops you going over 116 fsb, so if you get a new cpu, you will still be limited by that 116mhz fsb. It will limit memory bandwidth, and the machine will not be nearly as fast as you expect.

hmm yes never thought about that .

JustHalf For God's sake man, get some PC133 RAM!

Too expensive.

Unless !!!!!!:D Anyone want to buy some PC 100 ram :)
    hehehehe.
    thx for help
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Since you know that you've got a hard upper limit on what you can do with your RAM, well, maybe you should consider playing with the Multiplier too. Perhaps 9x110=990 would work? Alternatively, 10x100 isn't actually that bad...

(I've got my Duron 800 running at 10x100 - I know, I know - on an Epox 8KTA3+ because for some reason it refused to run at 133FSB any more after seven or eight months running no problems - and I've got 2x256 sticks of Crucial PC133 RAM that's been burn-in tested to 150... :( )

It seems the obvious solution to me - all you need is a pencil after all...

Gadget

Advertisement