Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie MUD?

• 19-05-2002 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Dear Sir/Madam,

Be there any chance of a boards.ie MUD RPG?
    It would be fun if we got some numbers and shouldn't be a CPU hog.

Best Wishes
    XXXXX

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I'm in.

So long as i can be a beserker mage... much like a beserker only BESERKING GIVES ME MORE SPELLS! ;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

There's one MUD I really liked, I'll try to find its name on mudconnector.

http://www.mudconnector.com/mud-bin/simple_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=Blackfire

I had an account on that for a while, got to level 23 or so a while back, it rocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

<noob=1>
    whats MUD?

like muck but thicker and wetter, or is it something to do with the intraweeb?

ps. i think i put the internet in my recycle bin. does it still work for you?

</noob>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The only mud i ever liked was the VME which powers Valhalla and Valheru. Its DIKU II written by the geezers who wrote the original diku. Its a pay mud but i think you can get a low user version for free.

Zyox, a Multi User Dungeon is the type of game we all used to play before they invented 3d graphics :) (Think text based Evercrack)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

dear god give us a mud and not blacknova.
    blacknova just stinks gameplay wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

pick a mud and I'll get one setup.
    maybe u should pick a few and have a poll in the rpg forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Best MUD I've ever played is at www.mud2.com

I remember IOL used have it years ago.

EDIT: The first site is physically located in Canada, there is a nearer version across the puddle www.mudii.co.uk

You can telnet to either. Port 23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Dragonheart in California is excellent.
    Me and a few have played it for a *cough* few years

Dunno what it runs on thou :(
    telnet dh.mudservices.com 8888

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

mud mud mud mud mud mud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

MUD!! No more godamn Blacknova.

Do we have to go down the traditional fantasy/sci-fi mud? How about a real-world setting. Like a gang wars Mud or something? Surely theres something along the lines :)

I've downloaded circlemud and will get it up and running by this evening, is it a suitable one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

bleh...it's all swords and goblins.

Ah well...run it anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

>Post reply

*** I do not understand you

>execute reply

>intiate reply

>FFS! JUST ****ING REPLY TO THE FUPPING THREAD!!

>QUIT

>EXIT

> CTRL+ALT+DELETE

*** Ouch, that hurt

>huh?

Originally posted by Dustaz
    The only mud i ever liked was the VME which powers Valhalla and Valheru. Its DIKU II written by the geezers who wrote the original diku. Its a pay mud but i think you can get a low user version for free.

Zyox, a Multi User Dungeon is the type of game we all used to play before they invented 3d graphics :) (Think text based Evercrack)

like the original Zork games?

I've CircleMUD running too, however the port has to be opened first (4000) - REGIIIIIIIIIII!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I had circleMUD running in college.
    Tis good.
    I would recommend it.
    It's not FULL of overloading classes and features and it's not too basic with the possibility of making your own levels and areas and mobs etc...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I can understand why you would like a mud and I agree (pending Regi's general consent on the tech/security side) but I cant understand why you want BN shut down...

If you dont like it, dont play it... *boggle*

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Qualin Hess

This is probably a crazy Idea, but I don't spose there's any one out there that could mod a mud or write their own one incorprating a bit of the "boards the Gathering" Flavor to the game (Muphets not Goblins witty replys instead of combat ect)
    That Really would be a BOARDS.IE MUD

• Advertisement

yeah and while were at all this why not host an Ultima Online shard too.

and a few game servers.

hell, lets make another massive network and call it the interboards, wheeee

An ultima shard is a no no from a legal side.

Considering the mud going up, could I be a immortal or a DM in the mud? I'm busy-ish with exams atm, but I'd be well up for it during the summer.

Anyone who want can be

why is it a legal problem?

many shards ive played on never had any legal issues...

(just adding this in edit)

[19:43] (@spooky`): its not legal strictly, cos its an unlicenced emulation of the server program
    [19:43] (@spooky`): but its made by reverse engineering
    [19:43] : yes, but you dont see mpz getting sued
    [19:43] (@spooky`): they didnt rip off the code from uo servers
    [19:43] (@spooky`): so its ok

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

wow thats legal? cool i reckon its time for me to reverse engineer some big macs and chicken royales so... wonder how many i could sell before some lawyer gets his hands on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spookeh

i love the way ppl try sarcasm in text and it doesnt work.

btw reverse engineering is entirely legal, cos u cant copyright an idea, only the application (technology) of the idea

so yes, if u can make big mac clones, that are just the same, but u can prove that u didnt steal the "secret recipe" or whatever, then u are ok.
    the other thing is trademark, the name is registered so u cant call it a big mac. it could be big mak or something

if u dont believe me, look at all the knocked-off brands there are, "utterly butterly" knocked off = "completely butterly" etc

edit: i remember years ago OSI did try and shut down a few of the free servers, but they gave up, not sure of any of the details tho, and now free shards are everywere, u will not get into any trouble from them for running one

I've replaced the circle mud with a smaug based one. the main readon is that we want to support OLC and its more feature rich out of the box.
    Unless anyone has objections we'll stick with this one. Although if cloud already has a mud running maybe we should be using his.

Nope that's perfect Rev, (hell) fire ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Nice one boards.ie mud, If your short on GMs give us a shout. I remember when netshop had a mud running but it never really went that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by spookeh
    btw reverse engineering is entirely legal, cos u cant copyright an idea, only the application (technology) of the idea

Not entirely true. In order to legally reverse engineer your developers must never have used the original program or seen it's code. There was a big speel done on it one time (Revenge of the Nerds documentry, not the movie?).

Listen to Rev, if he says it's not legal odds on it means he has already investigated setting one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Maybe we should have a MMO-Rogue based game? :) Btw, isn't smaug dirived from Diku-Mud? Which EQ was also dirived from?

Do you by chance know a MMO-Rogue one could use ?

Not that I'd be into, I had looked a subspace at one time, but I kind of like the low-tech feel of muds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spookeh

Originally posted by Hobbes

Not entirely true. In order to legally reverse engineer your developers must never have used the original program or seen it's code. There was a big speel done on it one time (Revenge of the Nerds documentry, not the movie?).

Listen to Rev, if he says it's not legal odds on it means he has already investigated setting one up.

sigh
    i think u have too much faith in that guy (thats my super-polite way of putting it)

if u STILL dont believe me, (fk knows why not) check this out,
    http://www.gamesites200.com/ultimaonline/
    its a web based voting ranking thing for the 200 most popular FREE UO shards. didnt i say they were everywere?
    in fact everything i said was correct. who cares about technicalities of different subjects (reverse engineering)

yawn yawn yawn.

The issue with running emulators on servers like the IOL one or the others for the matter is not if they are legal or not but if they are perseved to be legal or not. Take for example the battlenet emulator situation going on at the moment, do blizzard have a leg to stand on, proabbly not, but that s not what counts, its if they are willing to kick up a fuss about it that is.

The very last thing we want is for a representative of any software publisher or developer going to IOL or whoever is providing the hosting and asking for our server to be removed, because they infringe their property.

It would be a great shame if we lost everything because of it. It is for this reason that I am very strict about not using warez or anything that there is any possible legal issues with.

Now if someone wishes to run a UO shard thats fine. But we'll not be doing it, most of them are crap anyway, added to fact there wouldnt be enough players to make it worthwhile. How do we known this simple we tried to do one before as did gambler neither of which worked out for various reasons least of which was the number of players and the resources needed. Its also worth noting that players found using UO player shards have a habit of been banned from the offical shards, so it not quite a case of they dont care.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Zyox
    why is it a legal problem?

many shards ive played on never had any legal issues...

(just adding this in edit)

[19:43] (@spooky`): its not legal strictly, cos its an unlicenced emulation of the server program
    [19:43] (@spooky`): but its made by reverse engineering
    [19:43] : yes, but you dont see mpz getting sued
    [19:43] (@spooky`): they didnt rip off the code from uo servers
    [19:43] (@spooky`): so its ok

:eek:

sorry to drag this tiny section of the thread self-invented by me but new UO shard for those looking for one. It's in England but nicely hosted and one of the few oer there with little lag and a well run team.

#five-elements on quakenet
    www.five-elements.co.uk

and no, im not being paid to post this :) i just really like it there now, good old skool community from the old mpz shard, give it try

Advertisement