Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major problem ?

• 19-05-2002 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I have this major problem when i try to start my computer.
    In that the monitor doesn't come on either does the light in me optical mouse.
    The NumLock ,Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock flashes , so does the Led's on me DVD and all the fans are twirling but it won't post .
    I have an XP1900, abit KR7A, 512Mb Ram, Geforce3 Ti200
    I pluged in a different monitor , i also tried a different graphics card, and i cleared the CMOS aswell all with no help.
    Does anyone know what would be causing this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Take all the cards out (apart from graphics) and try boot.
    Then if that doesnt work change the ram and try it.
    After that it could be board or chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Theres a million potential reasons for this. As mentioned above try to start with just the graphics card, ram and processor/hsf in.

I have seen a number of issues cause this problem. I'll probably think of more later but heres a start.

1. Video card not seated correctly, really shove the bugger in. Some boards make it look like the card is in, but really need a little bit extra.

2. This may sound wierd. But, I once plugged the processor fan onto the system fan socket and that caused it to do exactley what you describe.

3. I have also seen the systems you describe with a dead XP1800. Basically the heatsink was up on one corner not quite making contact and it was enough to fry it. Now it didn't look too fried mind (in fact it looked intact enough for the guy to claim it was DOA and get a new one !). But it was a little blackened on the die and did smell a little burnt.

So shove in that graphics card, check the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan socket and then get a loan of a different processor and plug that in to test if your processor is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hmm... all of the above are possible.. a simple one though is when keyboard lights flash it usually means you have a bios password on protecting the keyboard... If you have at any stage entered a bios password then enter it at this point.. or clear the cmos by moving the jumper on your board.

AS for the fan.. yes some systems will not allow the system to power on if there is no fan conencted to the cpu fan connector.. reason being to save the cpu burning out.

CMOS already cleared I think Saruman.

I would bet on it being any of the 3 reasons listed above. Gotta be carefull with graphics cards, I put the Abit Siluro Geforce4 Ti 4600 into an ECS K7S5A, which has a locking mechanism on the AGP slot (much like on any ram slot), even with that locked it I had a black screen and it needed an extra shove, although after the shove it didn't look like it was seated any different it worked fine then.

However, because your optical mouse is not lighting up, I would bet that the graphics card is not the problem. It is more likely one of the other 2 reasons I mentioned. I have my fingers crossed for you that it's not the processor. However if it is you will be able to get it replaced under warranty as all AMD processors have a 12 month warranty (which doesn't cover thermal damage so you will have to claim that it arrived DOA).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Quigs Snr you are right it is fried you can see at one side where it is fried.
    One more question since im processorless now is will the thoroughbred work on me Abit KR7A board and when will they be available.I heard 5th of June as a release date.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get a replacement under warranty.

I have not looked into the new forthcoming AMD products in any great depth yet, however the early indications are that it will require a new motherboard. I would be almost certain of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

A lot of manufacturers have announced that their board does in fact support thoroughbred.

Abit are normally pretty good for this, their kt7a eventually got a bios update to support the palomino.

Heres a bios update for the kr7a to support thoroughbred:

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/download_content.jsp?pTITLE=KR7A-133+%2F+KR7A-133R+%28ATA133%29&#Bios

Oops, thanks for correcting me Gerry, I had been reading an article talking about potential incompatibilities with the forthcoming AMD Opteron (due to the 64bit architecture AMD are harping on about - bit of a gimmick if yer ask me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I doubt i will be able to send it back as i bought it a couple of months ago.
    Thanks Gerry for the link.

Advertisement