Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling All Bands

Options
  • 19-05-2002 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Please help us create the ultimate studios for all bands and artisits.

What are the main features that would attract you to a studio?

Please rate the following features as not important, important or essential and give any other suggestions which would be important to you. Please email this to fishbowlstudios@hotmail.com

1) Price?
    2) Location?
    3) Analog or Digital set up?
    4) Interior?
    5) Luxuries (e.g. computer games, TV etc)?
    6) Flexibility of Times?

All suggestions would be much appreciated and any band who makes a suggestion will be given a discount when the studio is up and running.

:D

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 NO ME TO KNOW

1) Price - 30euros for the engineer and no more than 20euro an hour for the studio rental.

2) Location - Central

3) Analog or Digital set up - Digital because it's faster. Pro tools or cheaper alternatives save bands time and money.

4) Interior - BIG SOFAS.

5) Luxuries (e.g. computer games, TV etc)? - PLAYSTATION and CABLE TV.

6) Flexibility of Times - 24 hour availability with discounts for night sessions (10 euro an hour)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Rehearsal studios or recording studios???

There is a huge requirement for more rehearsal space in Dublin right now.

Here are my thoughts on what makes a good rehearsal studio.

1. Well maintained quality equipment
    (Not gear thats good for six months and falls to **** and is never repaired)

2. Staff who actually have an interest in the local scene and are technically profecient

3. Air conditioning !!!!! Anyone ever rehearsed in loop ??

4. Flexible times i.e late night sessions like Loop.

5. Competitive rates i.e 50 - 60 for 5 hours

6. Playstations etc are bollix most bands are there to rehearse and get the most out of their time so wouldn't consider that end of things significant.

6. Some kinda loyalty scheme or something?

7. Have strings , skins , leads etc available to buy at normal prices

Regarding Recording studios......you'd do well to emulate trackmix

Sound lads, great technical ability, flexible enough, good gear and good advice.

Diversity would be a key area for a new studio i.e being able to cater for several genres and not sticking to a single type of music.

Professionalism professionalism professionalism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Recording Studio wise,

Digital recording, with decent outboard
    Around 25-30 quid an hour and 20 Quid for engineer
    5 copies of cd free
    Playstation 2, coffee machine, few cans of beer for the late night sessions maybe Although thats not really neccessary, sofas, local takeaway etc
    Doesnt really have to be central as long as its close to it, Eg, Phibsboro, Drumcondra, Rathmines (i think) etc,
    24 hour opening, late night sessions and day time
    Compentent Engineers (Very Important!)

Thats it

bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭joss

Digital vs Analogue:
    Analogue equipment holds it's value much better. Bands I'm in recorded 2 LPs to 24 track 2" tape last year and the quality was great. The only reason it would be slower is if the engineer or band weren't terribly adept.
    One well known Dublin studio facility has begun using cracked software because they just can't afford the constant updates. When you buy a digital product it loses resale value far quicker due to the speed of advancing technology.
    That's what I reckon.

Price: around €30 per hour with a good engineer or less w/out.
    Interior: comfortable and clean, but I'd rather cheap prices than posh sofas and luxuries.

Advertisement