Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Security?

Options
  • 19-05-2002 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

I just got a nice new(ish) car last week, and I want to put some kind of security in it. Has anyone here installed (or had installed) any kind of security systems (alarms, etc.) ?

A friend of mine told me about some kind of tripswitch you can get for the fuel line. Are they practical? Expensive?

Any feedback would be much appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

No alarm is 100% thief proof, so it all depends on how much you want to spend. I just got a cheap one, as a deterrent more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

Nerb do you have any idea wot ure talkin about,wait dont answer that.

TmB try clifford Alarms

Prob best ssten u can get, u can get simple set up or go for most expensive one which includes auto start up\shut down,GPS tracking(gauranteed 24Hour recovery) a mate of mine got his car back in 15 min!

Loads of other bits and bobs u can get,check out the site:D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Alarms can be a deterrent to the casual thief but theyre not much cop against the determined car criminal... They can help on your insurance premium, most companies ask if you have an alarm/immobiliser installed when quoting.

If you get one make sure its one of the type that resets after 5 or 10 mins, ones that stay on all night long after whatever set it off has gone are annoying. I think the handiest thing about alarms is the remote central locking (if your car has central locking). No more fumbling for keys in the dark or trying to unfreeze the locks on a winters morning :)

I got my alarm installed by a mobile crowd, a guy came out to my workplace and set it up for me, even came back a week later to adjust it. Very handy option if you don't want to take a day off work or waste some Saturday getting it installed.

Spunj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

With a Clifford Concept G4, you need to have a mastered knowlegde of electronics of be able to bypass its kill-circuits, fuel cut-off and ECU controller....so I tend to agree with Odian to a point...and of course GPS tracker is an added bonus...

Saying that....a friend of mine had his Type-R with G4 stolen in Dublin....Fockers pulled it onto a flat-bed trailer ! ! (so said a neighbour thinking it was being towed away for not having a parking disk! :(

The best deterent IMHO is a very large chain with a deadlocking padlock wrapped around the steering wheel and seat mounting, closely seconded by a SNAP-OFF Steering Wheel :)

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

@Ba$tard glifford have a system that enables when the car is tilted or been towed away without ignition on.

best thing to do is smooth off all handels\locks, have a snap off steerin wheel,install best security system there is,and have a pack of hounds in the back seat!

were there is a will there is a way, robbing c\/nts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Does that mean that if you car has been clamped in Dublin, and the w@nkers try to tow it, the alarm will go off ??? I wonder if they'd leave it, or tow it away with alarm blaring ?? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Try parking over a drain cover, you know the ones with bars close together so you cant fit your hand down. Get a very strong chain and loop it around your chassis and attatch to drain cover.
    If the clampers try and lift your car their truck toppels over :)

Thats like the time the clampers tried to tow a hiace van in parnell street. The clampers van went up on two wheels. They didnt know that the hiace had 2 pallets of printed paper in the back amounting to about 6 tonnes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The cheapest and one of the most secure ways of keeping your car safe is to make a simple circuit using your ignition coil supply wire.
    What you do is cut the wire and join in another 2 lengths of wire connected to a flick switch.You hide the switch in an obscure place-say under the drivers seat.No matter what if a thief cant find the switch the car will not start even if they try to jump it/ change the coil pack etc.Even if they open the bonnet and check the loom and the job is done as neat as possible they will usually leave the car alone.
    We have never had a car stolen with this method.With a high value car we put in a row of switches(3 or more) in which case the car will only start when the 3 switches are in the right sequence.This would cost roughly €10 if you can do it yourself.
    This combined with a decent car-alarm(nothing too special)is an excellent way of securing your car.If you cant feed of the ignition coil you can also use the cars ECU(brain) and feed of that.
    People always talk about Clifford alarms buy even the most determined thief will get past them.As a matter of fact the company who fit our alarms has told us that in some cases Cobra alarms are a better bet being anti- scan/grap etc.
    All an alarm does if really deter thieves-if one of our customers cant afford/doesnt want an alarm we usually put the stickers on the windows with a flashing LED on the dash and IMHO this has as equal a success of deterring thieves.
    It all depends on what you want.If you want a deterrent use an alarm-if you dont want you car able to be driven off use the above method.

Originally posted by Odian
    Nerb do you have any idea wot ure talkin about,wait dont answer that.

TmB try clifford Alarms

Prob best ssten u can get, u can get simple set up or go for most expensive one which includes auto start up\shut down,GPS tracking(gauranteed 24Hour recovery) a mate of mine got his car back in 15 min!

Loads of other bits and bobs u can get,check out the site:D

Yes I do, and I'm well aware that Clifford alarms are the best on the market. If you're willing to pay for one that is. A professional car thief (as opposed to your average 16 y/o scumbag joyrider) can get past any alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its your 'average 16 y/o scumbag joyrider' that I'm trying to protect against. I don't have the kind of car a professional car thief would go for.....

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

- Dave.

• Advertisement

In my opinion then, the more deterrents you've got, the better. An alarm and lock, maybe a lock on your gate if possible, is probably the cheapest and most effective way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

car security is one of those things, it deters more than it protects. Cliffords are excellent, for 400IR, u can have a top system, anti-carjack , anti tilt, anti sway, and the loudest alarm u can imagine. But IMHO, if u had all this on ur car, u'd end up pissing the thug of, and they'll just torch it, or worse break into your house and make u turn the alarm off. If they want ur car, they'll take it, simple.

The best thing to do, is a big F-off chain on the steering wheel, it will most likely take them longer to get that off ur car, then to break into your house and get ur car keys and remote for the alarm. De-locking is a personal favourite, If you have 2 door version car, and there is a saloon model available, order the back door handles, and make sure ur car has central locking via a remote or get in through the boot ;)

@richie18, ur system sounds the best i've heard of in a longtime

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Pffft who listens to a stupid annoying alarm what you need is a vechical with real offensive power and of course defenceive abilities. The ultimate family waggon.

And if you think this is a bit on the big side try the burban, a smaller verson designed for those short trips 'down the shops'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eamanevers1

Dhia duit,

Wheres the best place to get car-alarms and immobilisers in Dublin/Wicklow area, or even online to instal myself?

and whats the cheapest id get away with, id like it for cheaper insurance and also as a deterrent.

Go Raibh Maith Agut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Wheres the 4 year old bring up dead thread card!

Golden pages is your best bet,tonnes of alarm fitters in both regions.Dont expect any reduction in the price of your insurance even if the car was fitted with a gps tracker.

If your handy with electronics and know your car then there not the hardest thing to diy install either,in that case theres some bargains to be had on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Hellrazer wrote:
    The cheapest and one of the most secure ways of keeping your car safe is to make a simple circuit using your ignition coil supply wire.
    What you do is cut the wire and join in another 2 lengths of wire connected to a flick switch.You hide the switch in an obscure place-say under the drivers seat.No matter what if a thief cant find the switch the car will not start even if they try to jump it/ change the coil pack etc.Even if they open the bonnet and check the loom and the job is done as neat as possible they will usually leave the car alone.

Brilliant.

Security through obscurity at its finest!

(Christ this is an old tread!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Just a quick question to throw at people. I've got a 98 Hyundai Accent worth 2k at best. It's fine parked outside my drive here at home, but it'l be outside my university halls of residence when I start next week. The place is reasonably secure with locked gates at night and 24 hour security, but how would I go about protecting the car from joyriders - what would be the cheapest solution?
    Not a hope that I'll be able to afford an alarm, I'd rather just buy another car with one fitted.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

If the car has an immobilisor as standard then would be joyriders will know already and wont bother "trying" the car,if not the cheapest and awkwardest thing you can do is add a basic kill switch to the car OR remove an import fuse at night eg fuel pump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Ah great idea, take out the fuse! Thanks... Probably should take the spare fuses out of the glove box and put them elsewhere in that case too!
    It's a 98 accent, has an immobaliser, but I know for a fact it has been disabled. :(
    Any advice on a kill switch, it sounded very interesting but it would involve pulling out a few panels to get wires through, right? Guess taking out a fuse sounds about the best?
    Thanks

Edit: What is the likelyhood of it being broken into anyway, if there is nothing to rob and the sticker on the window says it has an immob? I know the average joyrider probably can't read the stickers on the windows to start, but yeah...?
    Is a steering wheel lock a good/bad idea?
    If they can't start the car due to a missing fuse will they just thrash it?
    Thanks again for the advice, I really don't know dublin - relatively oblivious to these matters of thievery!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cwynnes

If ur lookin to do it on the cheap....and not waste much money on alarms and stuff...what would ya think about installin ur own immobiliser.....i done it for my car and it worked a treat :)

Just cut the ignition wire and put a switch in between it and bobs ur uncle.....just hide the switch somewhere in ur car....now uv a homemade immobiliser... he he he hope ya like it :)

Colm

• Advertisement
Advertisement