Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive Converter (FAT32)

• 05-07-2001 3:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

It tells me that it will speed up programs and stuff but there are some things I'm not sure about. Is it worth converting my drive to this FAT32 type ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

FAT32 is actually slightly slower than FAt16 in terms of performance, but the difference is marginal.

Mainly, it's benefit is to allow Windows 95/98/me machines to use partitions over 2GB in size.

Cluster size can be maintained at 4KB, when on an 8GB partition. I think, it's mostly irrelevant anyway with HD sizes these days your HD *needs* to be FAT32 to enable any real work with large files.

If it's a sub 2GB HD don't bother, you won't get much benefit (maybe some space will be returned when the cluster size is back down from 32KB which is wasteful on FAT16 but there you go, that's why FAT32 is better).

How big is your HD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I've a 20gb HD with about half that actually free. I wouldn't be partitioning any of my HD, so should I bother with the whole thing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah, why not.
    it would be fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

"Captain, high doses of sarcsam detected off the starboard bow"

Advertisement