Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Government arrangment do you prefare?

Options
  • 20-05-2002 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Your favoured choice. Not the most likely outcome.
    I favour a Green Party coalistion. Not that it is very likely. But however it is probably the 4th choice.
    I think the PDs will be demanding too much and the PDs with there 8 TDs will get too aggressive wanting ministries(i.e Public Enterprise in their sights).
    FF may fall for their Ex-Party members and opt for the Independent FFs.
    The Health alliance maybe apart of the next government also but it is unlikely due to their demands however they probably won't want any ministries even if they are in government...

Who knows??? Once the PD demands are out all hell will brake loss(please oh please NO PDs in gov) :D

What government arrangment would u favour? 22 votes

Fianna Fail and Progressive Democrats
    0% 0 votes
    Fianna Fail and Independent FF
    68% 15 votes
    Fianna Fail and Health Alliance
    27% 6 votes
    Fianna Fail and Green Party
    4% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

Wouldn;t want any ministries, are you bonkers????

Do you think the IHA (Independent Health Alliance) wouldn't ask for , oh i dont know, HEALTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Greens have great environmental policies, but other than that, they're completely bonkers in terms of economics!!!

FF/PD Government has worked, and will work again.

I don't agree with the idea that the PD would hold Fianna Fail up to ransom, they would be well aware that Bertie could go elsewhere. And anyways, the PDs know that they are the preferred coalition partner for Fianna Fail.

Rgds
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ciderandhavoc
    I don't agree with the idea that the PD would hold Fianna Fail up to ransom, they would be well aware that Bertie could go elsewhere. And anyways, the PDs know that they are the preferred coalition partner for Fianna Fail.
    However, Brian Cowen's speech on Sunday(?) morning on RTÉ gave the impression that some FF members are tripping over themselves not to go into government with the PDs (then again they were still hoping for 83 then).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Victor

However, Brian Cowen's speech on Sunday(?) morning on RTÉ gave the impression that some FF members are tripping over themselves not to go into government with the PDs (then again they were still hoping for 83 then).

Hehe, "if in doubt, leave it out" and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I dunno if going back in with the PD's is such a bad thing...

One thing that this election has shown that there has been a major increase in the independents. Their success has to be mirrored on the success of the likes of Mildred Fox and Jackie Healy-Rae in the last administration, who got favours in return for their vote.

The people can now see the power of the independent, single issue candidate. So they vote for them.

Now, FF's hand is strengthened with 80/1 seats, and the PD's have 8. If FF back-benchers really want to stop the power of the indy eating at their patch, like it did the last Dail, they can do no worse than freezing the independents away from influence and backing a PD coalition.

In turn, the likes of Jackie and Mildred would be under increased pressure next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'd like to see ff-green coalition, but I doubt it would happen, and only in the respect that the greens got a say over the enviroment, and were kept well away from issues involving economics or the EU.

But I'd really like to see the PD's getting nothing, I don't feel they deserve anything more than opposition seats, I don't like their polotics tbh, at least the other choices are clear about their mandate and reasons for opposition and have clearly defined goals (excepting the independents).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its got to be FF/PD really, the Greens are out because of Nice.

A busload of independants is just mad, they'll all be interested in one thing and one thing only - thier own back yard-not the country. If the going should get tough I would'nt want to be relying on Midred Fox, Healy-Rea et al.

The PDs' on the other hand have sound economics, will back Nice and won't cut and run at the first crisis.

Also polls show that most ppl want the PDs on board to keep an eye on FF so they should do so, otherwise they may pay at the next election a la Labour (who in '92 said they would'nt go in but did!)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hallelujahjorda

I don't see how a FF/PD coalition is going to work. Harney would almost certainly wish to retain the Tanaiste position and she would probably look for ministerial spots for Liz O'Donnell, McDowell and Tom Parlan (She must have given him some promises).
    With 10% of FF's seats they will probably go looking for at least 4 ministries giving them far in excess of their electoral mandate.

Then there is the thorny issue of Mary wanting to stop the Abbotstown project.

And McDowell's comments about Bertie Caocescu during the campaign . . .

My money is on Bertie hooking up with a couple of independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Personally i'd like to se a FF SF alliance.
    SF would ensure that FF spend money on the inner cities hospitals, and on homless etc, (at least i hope they would)

I know how unlikely this is.

I dont want to see an independant reliant colalition. They dont even try to represent the country, just 'my backyard' politics.

I suspect we will see a FF PD colalition, which hasnt done too badly for the country so far.

X

I dont want to see an independant reliant colalition. They dont even try to represent the country, just 'my backyard' politics.

Xterminator, if you look at the results of the general election and the performance of independents it seems that the my backyard politics gets a stronger mandate than the PD's

As for FF/SF, you must be having a laugh . . . . . . . theres more chance of Mary Harney growing a willy . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by hallelujahjorda
    I don't see how a FF/PD coalition is going to work. Harney would almost certainly wish to retain the Tanaiste position and she would probably look for ministerial spots for Liz O'Donnell, McDowell and Tom Parlan (She must have given him some promises).

There are a couple of positions free, namely speaker, Minister for
    Enterprise now that O'Rourke has gone and Atorney General.

They'll be happy with 3 posts - 2 senior, one junoir.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Originally posted by hallelujahjorda

As for FF/SF, you must be having a laugh . . . . . . . theres more chance of Mary Harney growing a willy . . . .

I was under the impression she already had one?

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine

I was under the impression she already had one?

No ... you're thinking of Mary O'Rourke . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The-Jester

At this stage it looks like pd/ff. And i'm not to sure that they DID do a good job over the past 5 years.

-increased scumbag crime
    -health still messed up and going down
    -more coruption
    -supposed traffic solutions delayed and farted about
    -the disgrace over the "St. Michaels House" pay
    -the scam over "aer lingus" pensions
    -hmm... and what was that they said on the radio... FF has giving ireland the vote of europe: "most corupt 1st world country"

I think good politically minded ppl should WALK IN AND TAKE OVER...

... ... ... ... or the coalistion of ff and greens... ... at least our food and enviorment would get some attention...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Green

Why exactly would the Greens' economic policies be bonkers???????????????

Specifics please.

Of course the Greens have great environmental policies, but anyone who just sees environmental policies as if they were something that you could implement with nothing else happening in terms of economics, doesn't understand the Green Party.

The Green Party has policies on all the major problems facing Ireland, and it is the only party that will try and solve them. The other parties just treat the symptoms of problems, the Greens on the other hand realise that you can only solve a problem by treating its root causes while restricting the symtoms.

The environment is not something way out there. We are part of the environment, and the Greens give equal importance to the economy, society and environment and that must form the essence of any government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

Mary O'Rourke was (and still is until June 6th) Minister for Public Enterpise (D.O.P.E.) [ lots of ads for tenders in the papers this week all with refer to her as TD (quite funny! - which civil servant assumed she'd keep her seat!)].

Anyways, a FF/PD Coalition is starting to look less and less likely, especially with the seats FF has, only needs 2 or 3 independents for an overall majority, and a good few independents are already Fianna Fail supporters, who didn't get selected and ran themselves.

A period in opposition for the PDs would be a good thing, particularly if bad things (economically) are ahead, me think FF want the PDs in government to share the blame for when the state chequebook goes titsup.

But then again, the PDs (I am member of the party by the way) did enter the election campaign to be put back into government, so that is also a possibility.

In regards ministries, I myself would love to know if Parlon got a promise of a portfolio.

The thing is, McDowell will want a cabinet seat (most likely not Attorney General, as he'd prefer a proper Ministry me thinks), and O'Donnell would expect to be elevated to senior cabinet position, though this is unlikely to happen because of McDowell.

My Prediction:

2 Senior Cabinet Positions
    Harney(Public Enterprise) & McDowell (Justice perhaps???)

2 Junior Cabinet Positions (neither sitting at cabinet though - like Bobby Molloy did) :
    O'Donnell (not sure! perhaps Health) & Parlon (Agriculture duh!)

But again it all depends on negotiations between Fianna Fail and the Progressive Democrats. Issues such as the Bertie Bowl will be huge problems, and could see the PDs be in opposition because of the issue.

Advertisement