Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mp3 sounds goes all gah when loading webpage

• 26-06-2001 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

as the topic says when i play mp3's and try to load a webpage the sounds goes all muffled and it's really annoying. I've just installed win2k after a format so u'd think everything would be workin ok. Any ideas on how to fix it? i have a sound blaster 16 btw thnks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

What MP3 player, what Windows Media Player version, and what version of Internet Explorer are you using? Remember, Microsoft own you.

I have no trouble at all on basic Win2k and WinAmp. Is this trouble after a clean reinstall of Win2k and then installing say WinAmp?

Also, what exactly do you mean by muffled? Is it sounding like 32kbit/s MP3 and is just reduced quality, or is it stuttering and jumping (which can happen with low CPU speeds and excessive HD use with under 128MB RAM).

[This message has been edited by Red Moose (edited 26-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

i'm using winamp 2.76, windows media player 7.1 and the beta version of ie6 off microsofts site. The sound is stuttering and jumping when i try to load a webpage and play mp3's at the same time, but if i play Q3 at the same time there's no prob. My comp is a P3 running at 950mhz with 256mb ram so that aint the prob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Okay things to check:

1. Are you using a winmodem, if so, it could very easily be the problem, Winmodems rely on your CPU, and mp3s hog the cpu.. Ever notice when u click on "connect" in dial up networking, while playing an mp3, the sound stutters ?

2. Since PCI can share IRQ's check to see if your Sound card is using the same IRQ as your modem, if so, reply and i'll explain how to fix that (its long tongue.gif)

3. In the bios, there should be an option .. PCI something something by .. (cant remember) and the two options are "Level" and "Edge" .. This makes a difference, so experiment with both of them.

Win2k allows u to optimise resources for either background or foreground applications, If its using them for background, then it might be giving more CPU power to the modem (if its a winmodem) and causing your mp3's to skip

What type of CPU do you have..

I could go on...

RentZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

It may not help much, but my spec is basic Win2k with IE 5, no SPs, and a P3-500, and all I get is the expected thump on the speakers when the modem opens the port.

Is it offline or online? Maybe IE6 is doing something funky with all that Media Player integration nonsense, and as we all know, Media Player doesn't like Mp3s.

i dont think my modem is a winmodem, but even if it is it worked fine before i formatted. My sound card is isa and my modem is external so their not sharing the same irq. I couldn't see the pci thing with level and edge in the bios. And i have win2k optimised for foreground applications. My cpu is P3-700@952mhz and it's a coppermine. This happens with winamp, windows media player and sonique, and my sound even in divx goes wonky while loading a webpage. I'm going to download netscape now and see if that makes a diff.

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 27-06-2001).]

• Advertisement

well just noticed now that it happens when i'm downloadin aswell frown.gif i've tried reinstallin modem and sound card same deal. But i'm not too bothered cos i'll have isdn in about a week and hopefully the prob will be gone then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

*ping* one week later, Did the problem resolve itself with ISDN ?

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

SoriTong audio player
    try this for a player, been told it uses less
    memory than winamp- worth a go
    http://hosting11.interpia98.net/~sorinara/

still dont have friggin isdn frown.gif i think i might ring eircom or sumthing and tell them to move their asses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I know what this problem is...
    happened tp me before.
    The MP3s are being run through a directsound driver, when more than one sound is being played (ie if a webpage loads), it cuts the quality of both of them. I solved this by setting winamp to use my USB desktop speakers, and windows to use my PCI soundcard.

I figure if you disable all system sounds that'll have the same effect..

Sorry if my explanation didn't make sense, but i think my advice is sound.

• Advertisement

that isn't the prob igy but thnks for the reply smile.gif, it's something got to do with my modem in win2k, in win98 theres nothing wrong. Im hoping once i start using my TA instead of my modem when i get isdn the problem will go

Advertisement