Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL

Options
  • 20-05-2002 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Has anybody actually singed up and recived Eircom Solo DSL Product??? if so whats it like? Former esat trialist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

As a former eircom triallist, I indicated that I'll be keeping it. I haven't sign up as such yet - waiting for contract to be sent. It's pretty O.K. apart from the crazy price and cap. Ping times are about 50/70ms though, not as good as cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

i ordered it and was told 10 days and cstomer care will call me.
    Buisness users 1st i imagine.
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

well i dont even have the chance to get the solo package as I got a letter this morning basically saying : 'Eircom is extremely pleased to announce that YOUR area is upgraded for adsl, but unfortunally, YOUR line has failed the dsl test'.....'but instead of adsl, you can now sensationally get our other premium service, ISDN'...... BAH

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by kdja
    i ordered it and was told 10 days and cstomer care will call me.
    Buisness users 1st i imagine.
    Kdja

I am registered as a business user and am seeking the enhanced package and was told that someone should contact me in three weeks.

Would they do it by Area then?
    I know they fix phones that way you get a techie if hes in your area that week.
    Kdja

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Personally I think no one at all should sign up for DSL from Eircom at the price they expect us to pay for it. The reasons are:

1: You are dealing with Eircom, enough said. They dont deserve our custom.

2: The price for it is outrageous.

If you sign up for DSL, you will only be giving into them. I want to see their product fail. Maybe then will they realise what theyre doing and let in some competition and charge a fairer price. One can only dream.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I've no problem signing up for DSL from Eircon as long as they release non capped product at a reasonable price.

Esats offering of 512/256 at €270+vat per quarter is not a bad price considering equipment is included in the fee & also there is no cap.

As soon as Esat launch that service in Cork I will be knocking on their door to install it as I can't see Eircon releasing similiar package for quite some time as they strive to recoup the massive amounts of money that they have allegedly spent on DSL so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

I agree with Matt Finn - no one should sign up until they drop their prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

even if they save money because their phone bill is higher than the cost of adsl?

even if they save money because their phone bill is higher than the cost of adsl?
    That is true
    My last bill was €320
    Before that was €270
    It kills me to get this but unfortunatley i (and many others) have no choice.
    Can only hope it comes down.
    I have asked if it comes down in price during my 12 month sub will I have to continue paying at the price i signed up for (Sky Digital did it) The guy said he didnt know.
    But i will make a case in point of it being brought up when i get the contract to sign.
    Kdja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I Cant believe im still reading some of these replys. Yes, Eircom are ripping us off with the price of DSL and its probably the worst deal since fat freddy bought 2 lbs of oxo cubes, but would you rather be paying them MORE than you have to? gg.

There are a few whisperings of eircom looking into releasing a more domestic friendly product later in the summer. So keep registering complaints about the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by kdja

But i will make a case in point of it being brought up when i get the contract to sign.

Hopefully, Esat will be launching their better, faster, cheaper product by then. ;)

On a serious note though, if eircom try and adopt a "you pay that price for the year" approach, the $hit will definitley hit the fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Dr.Seagull

Then dont use the internet as much, reduce your phone bill to reasonable levels. If your phone bill is sky high, Eircon must believe that there is demand for a dial-up pay per min model.
    By reducing your bill, they will lose money as there will be less demand, hence they should introduce more attractive options in the future.
    It makes business sense that in order to stimulate demand to a wider audience, prices must come down and a new pricing model introduced.
    By pricing dsl so high for the average person, eircon are trying to attract those who are willing to fork out sky high bills for the inferior product(very small section of the market), where the inferior product this time is dsl as well as dial-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

i was talking about people who use the internet for their business
    should they stop using the internet? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by gurramok

Then dont use the internet as much, reduce your phone bill to reasonable levels. .

Good idea, lets stimulate demand by not using the internet.

good lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Good idea, lets stimulate demand by not using the internet.

good lord.

I'm referring to home use if i wasn't clear on that :)
    Well, there is not widespread usage now of the internet because of the cost, agree ?
    Ok, demand is there, many people i know will not use the internet that much because of cost. They only use to for e-mail and the odd time to look up stuff on web.
    Point is those of us that have astromonical bills are not promoting a good role model for the average joe soap to use the internet by repeatingly paying large sums to eircon. It gives eircon a free hand to charge as they like.
    If the regulatory structure continues to fail us, the only way is to reduce those bills, give eircon the impression that people have a certain credit limit when using the internet. At present, people do have a credit limit...most people will not pay high bills on alot of goods and services, maybe for a few essentials(car, house) but not for luxuries(internet access is unfortunately still a luxury in ireland)

Enough people are aware of the internet's purpose to shoot down eircon's negative demand argument !...(maybe a survey should be done?)

Advertisement