Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terry Pratchet

Options
  • 20-05-2002 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Just wondering dose any one read any of terry pratchet stuff??
    discworld
    jonny and... series
    truckers, diggers, wings??

ive read most and i think they are brilliant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i have often taught of buy a discworld book...
    i have heard that they are great...
    which would you recommed to get first.....

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

i supose to get in on the whole discworld thing you should buy the first one!! "the colour of magic" than go from there!! as im sure you will because they are great books!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Loved all of the Discworld books.
    Johnny and ... were not as good.
    I still think that his best book was Good Omens with Neil Gaimann, if you have not read this yet do, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Discworld is a classic series, its amazing it hasn't lapsed into disrepair after this long in the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ahh "Good Omens" a true classic amoung satire, and humour :D

I'd recommend Terry Pratchett to almost anyone, but some ppl don't like the style of humour. The first one is a great place to start, but I'd recommend "Good Omens" as an intro to his style of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Good Omens is probably a better start than diving into the Discworld series (26 books now?) - although most of the Discworld novels can be read independantly of the rest; you might miss a few in-jokes by not reading them in order, but the individual stories are fairly self-contained.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I started with 'Mort' and worked on from there getting the earlier ones later on in life.

For all those 'Good Omens' fans......

http://us.imdb.com/Details?0155724

BTW, has anyone seen the 'Soul Music' movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

I'd start with "Guards! Guards!" , "Mort" or "Equal Rites." All of which are introductions to the best characters on the Dysk.

Personally though my favorite Prachette book of all time is "Carpet People" which is nothing to do with discworld or another book he's written.

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I started with Small Gods, loved it and went from there. For a while last year, I'd buy a new one every week, must get back into these and read them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Have read them all and loved them all (Discworld that is, not mad about the other books but still vewy gud) Starting out I would go for defo recommend starting with something that introduces Death properly (otherwise you won't always get the Capitalised speech jokes) so Mort would prolly be best (although I think starting at the begining is always the better way to go)

• Advertisement

yea i saw the soul music film/cartoon twas very good i think my favorite was intresting times with conan the barbareian and the silver hoard they's wicked!!

I started with the Fifth Element, got it as an X-mas pres, have been jumping all over the discworld series since.

Elephant, Fifth Elephant. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

the Discworld books are some of the funniest books around, no wait, make that THE funniest

personally i started with the set set around the City Watch...**** funny - "Guards,Gaurds", "Feet of Clay", "Jingo", "Men at Arms"
    (not in correct order there)

either those of the Death books (u can buy a hardbook copy of the three Death books in one)

each one a classic :)

other than that, just start from the start and work ur way through

my personal favourite is probally Hogfather, had me in stiches laughin my ass off

btw i have seen the soul music animated film...its pretty good, but as usual no film can ever compare to the printed version

Sorry :) I did the same think with the fifth elemet spend a while calling it the fifth elephant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

ook ooook ooook?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ook!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gorthaur

I've read them all the discworld ones - the earlier ones still have the edge although a vampire who likes photography and has a bring you self back to life(!) kit is hilarious in the context Pratchett uses. Dark side f the sun and the "serious " sf stuff is sh1t3. Haven't read the other stuff.

Originally posted by Mordeth
    ook!

Ah, him and Igor, two of the funniest characters. :)

id have to say the funniest chars are either the luggage or cohen!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

theres 27 books, the newest being "Ther amazinf Maurice and his Educated Rodents" witch is a kids book (no reason not to read it, its as good as most of the others) , but still keeps Terrys style of humor and writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

Guards, Guards!! One of the funniest books I ever read, laugh out loud stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Mort was my favourite!

haha, i just luv deat, hes so crazy!:D

i bought the newest discworld "the truth" but havent gotten around to reading it, any good?????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I started with mort, cos a friend gave it to me years ago. After that i started at the start and read thru em all.
    I reckon the best bet is to buy The Color of Magic and read them all in order, if only to see how much the universe changes over time (Ive read em all twice at least and the difference between teh Color Ankh and the Truth Ankh is marked).
    There a very easy read so you should fly thru them.

Jim, The Truth is quite good, mostly new characters in it.
    Is it just me or have the later disc books become more about the satire than about 'lower' forms of humour and general color?

Also, jim, you post like Detritus :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

guards guards is the one i would recomend reading first too.
    It was the one i read first and it is very easy to pick up the basic structure of the world through it.Also it is the first book to centre round the city watch and is realy the begining of the Captain Grimes/Corporal Carrot Story Arcs which go off at tangents later in the series.
    Other stand out books in the series are Wyrd Sisters,Carpe Jugulum,Small Gods,Jingo and possibly Moving Pictures.
    I am not over keen on the books that revolve around DEATH so much as they tends to be to much repetition around a theme "death takes a holiday...yada,yada,yada."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

ah, i appear to b unfarmiliar wit this "Detritus",
    please elaborate.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

"What?? piffle!"
    "left my boots at home i says to him! HA!"
    "Millenium hand and shrimp!"

and thats cutting me own throat!
    :confused:

"Music with rocks in" in "soul music" is a hilarious read :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    ah, i appear to b unfarmiliar wit this "Detritus",
    please elaborate.......

A troll member of the ankh-morpork city watch, a dumb troll at that (on less hes wearing his cooling helmet :D )

(edit- Start at the start and read your way though in order, tis the best way)

(edit2- Jimeatsmenu,The Truth is not the newest book, The amazing maurice and his educated rodents is)

Advertisement