Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming /choke loss problems

• 26-06-2001 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Ok here are my connection stats for gaming

US Robotics 56k Ext. Faxmodem.
    Connected to OceanFree at 33.6kbs (not V.90 Modulation)
    Stac Compression (Supposibly very good for gaming)
    Error Control Off, Flow Control on Hard Ware.

Now my problem is I get REALLY bad choke in servers.. 56 to 70 in really hot areas.. and loss even 19.. first off what is loss and choke.. I know they are bad.. cus when my choke goes up so does my ping and every thing feels VERY laggy.. so how do I reduce all this choke.. and Loss.

My rate in Counter - Strike is 3360

so why dont I have a nice, staedy low ping .. i ping games1.iol.ie and everything in MS-DOS and I read 130 120 108!! even

so whats up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

I've never heard of choke. Two things you can see directly affect the game are:
    1. Ping (e.g., 200ms or under is good)
    2. Packet Loss (anything over 5-10% will cause major problems).

Various other aspects affect these in turn. The number of hops to the server (e.g., your data goes through 12 servers to get to the Barrysworld ones in the UK typically).

Have a look at some of the online gamign and modem guides from here:
    http://www.tweak3d.net

Ping is the time it takes to send a small amount of data to the game server (in basic speak wink.gif ). Smaller time = better connection.

The big thing that affects your game from a real world stance is the modem. Many MANY if not ALL modems sold with new PCs external or internal are "WinModems" in that, without getting into detail, they use CPU to perform part of the data/phone-line operation. This makes the modem a lot cheaper (like £40 or so instead of the normal price for a "real" modem which is around £100-130).

I got a WinModem with a more recent purchase and they suck bigtime - a WinModem can chew up to 20% or more CPU speed depending on system speed, and are the WORST choice for online gaming. A solid Zoom 33.6 "real" modem will be way better than a 56k WinModem. Try and find one.

You may also live in the country side and have bad lines, which cannot be helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

1. I paid good price for that modem ext. knowing that i had a internal win modem ( 90 quid on that ext usr)
    and
    2. I dont ive in the country
    and
    3. Type net_graph 3 in console while playing counter strike and u will c "choke"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

m8 have a looksee at http://www.lagless.com It should help you sort a few things smile.gif

RenTZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Open bin
    Insert Winmodem
    Close bin.

www.scan.co.uk have good hardware modems for about £20 stg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

choke is when theres too much info going into ur connection hence "choke"
    try fiddling with your rates
    rate
    cl_updaterate
    cl_cmdrate
    cl_rate

i dont know the 56k figures but a gaming tweeking site will so just do a search

• Advertisement
Advertisement