Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo info needed - old PCs

• 04-07-2001 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I recently got an FX mobo and a VX mobo.
    I have a P75 in the FX and a P200 in the VX.
    The FX ahs a SRAM cache slot while the VX doesn't. I'm fairly sure the FX is flucked as the POST doesn't come up, but that could be because it *might* have 256KB cache on it allready and i put in another 256KB without setting jumpers. Do these mobos have cache built in?
    The VX doesn't have any Cache slot, and i have no manual for it. Its allready setup for teh P200.
    i also need some help in finding drivers for old hardware. is there any site waht will match drivers to numbers on chips? I have a fair idea who made most of what I have.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Check out http://www.driverguide.com , Its very handy,

u/n drivers
    p/w all

^^ Btw everyone gets that username and password, but u have to fill out about 100 forms to get it.. smile.gif

If no luck there, you could try looking up the FCC ID's at http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

G'luck smile.gif

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Oh and, if you wanna find out what type of Graphics card you have, and you cant tell by looking at the card,

Go into a Command prompt ->

c:\windows>debug
    -d c000:0

Press D again to move down a bit, you usually get an identifier after about 2 "d"'s

(to exit debug press q)

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Try the fx without the extra cache? The vx board you have has cache sram mounted on the board, so theres no problem with it. driverguide.com should serve you well, you could try www.windrivers.com either. www.motherboards.com is a good place to find out what board you have. If you can get the boards to POST at least, you can try and find out who made them here:

www.wimsbios.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm actualluy having trouble even booting it as afar as the BIOS.
    The display won't initialize. It was origionally setup for an ISA card and I have that card too, but I also havea PCI one. Neither will work it seems.
    One very ossible cause of this is that tjhe clip connecting the '+' termainal of the CMOSbattery is broken off - a simple soldering job top fix - but that may stop it from booting at all. Also it *could* have suffered from a bit of static damage, though I was carefull and had it plugged in etc. while Iwas working. the AT power connectors to the board are a bit loose too. The hard drive doesn't seem to spin up either but the noise of the fan may stop me from hearing it. I suspect its a power problem also. frown.gif

Advertisement