Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video tape to PC?

• 20-05-2002 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Hmm i offered to help a guy get his camcoder stuff onto Pc then onto VCD.
    And regretin it now :)
    Whats the best way to get a vhs tape onto pc?
    I have a G3 ti 500 with TV Out ,a DV card a JVC digital camcorder and a Video player.
    No Tv in on anything .
    thx
    Kdja

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

You WILL need a TV capture card (Pinnacle do
    one for around €80 i think in Compustore).

Look up the following web site for a good
    primer in capturing video:

http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/video-capture.htm[/URL]

or try

http://forum.vcdhelp.com/ [URL][/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I did this for a friend of mine.
    I used a Hauppage WinTV to go card (cost me 32quid about three years ago) - should be cheaper now...

You can use whatever encoding codec you want as long as it's installed on your system. e.g. I used DivX5 (probably not suitable for VCD).

Once you have your AVI, you can use Nero or a simillar package to burn it as a VCD. Came out like a dream, but only in mono (cheap TV card).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Krusty

Few questions requiring answers (please):
    What spec is/was your PC? I've been looking at getting a capture card for some time - my PC is a p3 500MHz (256 ram) and I'm confused about what's good (card-wise) and what's not.

I was looking at getting that PVR external box (about 140stg, internal is the same price) - if your card worked well there's no reason why I should spend that kind of money.

How did you actually record? Using MPEG1 or 2? (here's where my PC spec really comes into the equation). I'm assuming you didn't record directly to divx5?

Hi sceptre,

I've done this a number of time, in different configurations..

My PC spec is Gateway P700, 128megs Ram, ATA66 20GIG HD.
    The card is a hauppage WinTVto go PCI card, which cost me 32 quid a couple of years ago..

Here's a capture I did directly to DivX 4/5 (with no sound).
    Its RTE coming on-line on sky digital for the
    First time.

Here's another one, MPEG format with sound (although no-ones saying anything!). Please ignore the content! 20 megs for 21 secs.
    Hope this helps..

If you need anymore info, let me know.

Oh, and just to answer your questions:
    1) Yes, directly to DivX5.
    2) No, the quality isn't excellent, but what'd'ya expect for 32 quid!

It suits my purposes.. I've used it to transfer content from video to AVI for a friend of mine, I can use it to record from Sky Digital, to record programs, and transfer content from my Camcorder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

just to hop onto this thread ..

I'm getting very bad reception on a wintv pci card when i plug a video player into it. very poor image. Any ideas ?

using win2000 and the software o the wintv website.
    Maybe move the pci card away from any others in the box ??

i don't know.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You could actually do it with the kit you already have, in a roundabout way. Presuming your Digicam can take a Composite input just feed from your VCR into it and record the tape to DV, then hook the cam up to your PC using your Firewire connection and pull it across. It's a little more longwinded but saves you having to shell out for a capture card.

Advertisement