Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dying Bride on Saturday.

Options
  • 20-05-2002 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I don't suppose anyone else went, did they?

But for the benifit of those who didn't, here's my horrible account of what happened...

The gig ruled.
    That simple.

I went in pretty early, and I asked if I could get in to see the soundcheck.
    It was astounding, really. Basically my own little personal concert!
    I was a lone fan at the very front, with a few staff, and support band members behind me.
    Afterwards I got all my albums signed (All 7) by Aaron, Shaun, Squiggle, and Squiggle.
    the squiggles could have been Andrew and Ade.
    Got photos with them later too. Have to wait until those get developed.

Anyway, as for the music that night:
    Support was Honey For Christ and Mael Mordha.

HFC, I had seen a week previously, and thought they were simply boring. Nothing bad about them, quite the opposite, they're great at what they do. It's just that they're completely unremarkable. There's about 50 different bands doing exactly the same thing. I walked out about 5 minutes into their set.

Next up is Mael Mordha.
    Quite possible one of the only bands in Ireland that could have filled the support slot. I've seen them live quite a few times, but I must say that they were FAR better than I've ever seen them before. A lesser band they'd have not only blown offstage, but out of this country! They really deserved the stage that night. All their big celtic banners looked great, and singer/keyboardist Rob thundering about the stage in full Braveheart-esque warpaint is a sight that always looked rather tacky in a pub, but up on that stage with all the lights, and smoke it was fantastic!
    What's more is people's familiarty with the material, and their reaction. There's easily more than half the people in the venue that were at the front for Mael Mordha. Which is an extremely impressive thing for a support band. The only problems are that they only play a short set, and that despite the fans shouting for it, they don't play "Godless Commune of Sodom".

So, then... This is it. The moment everyone's waiting for.
    My Dying Bride come onstage. They kick off straight into one of my recent favorites "My Hope The Destroyer." Within 2 minutes I'm nearly brought to tears. It's amazing to see live. From that they go into "The Raven And The Rose" with the crowd going bezerk, and me being at the absolute front for the gig, I get quite a flurry of knocks, kicks, elbows and pushes. Most kicks though, I've quite a nasty bruises and gashes on my legs after it. My Dying Bride go through a fantastic set that includes "A Cruel Taste Of Winter", "She Is The Dark", "The Cry Of Mankind", and an encore of "The Dreadfull Hours" and "The Fever Sea", not to mention the FULL version of "Symphonaire Infernus" and a few others.
    It's all pulled off brilliantly, and perfectly, with not a noticable hitch the entire set. Although I had heard that the sound wasn't that good by a friend of mine that was at the back, but from where I was, it was great.
    It was a pity though, that they didn't play "Crown Of Sympathy", "Your River" or "Sear Me" but as I was told by guitarist Andrew, they wouldn't really do the songs justice without a live Violinist now that Martin Powell had left. But by the reactions of a few friend, I don't think anyone would have cared, they just wanted to hear the songs live, violin or keyboard didn't seem to matter. I know I wouldn't have minded.
    As for stage prescense, they were simply amazing! Aaron is a true preformance artist, as he twists and contorts, cries and falls to his knees, weeping in sorrow. At one stage he falls under the smoke, and disapears out of sight for a moment. It was quite a powerfull preformance. And the get-up that guitarist Hamish had on was, as a friend noted, like he was in a Black Metal band!

Totaly astounding gig in every sense.
    Packed to the brim! And fecking excelent!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"Got with them later too"

*s*******

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ah for **** sake..

i said s N i g g e r s

*mutters to himself*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Try use "Giggles" instead.

But hold on... Just spotted a mistake in my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

hey Angelwhore, I think you were really hard on Honey For Christ....

I thought they performed really well considering the fact they don't have a large fanbase and that this was their biggest gig to date.

I thought Mael Mordha where really good if just a tad odd....looked like extras from BraveHeart

But must agree with you completely on My Dying Bride....quite simply one of the best gigs I've ever seen.....

Showed themselves to be consumate professionals.

BTW Where did you see HFC the week before?

Sorry if I sound hard on HFC, I don't really mean that they're crap.
    They do what they do very well indeed.
    It's just that there's so many bands that sound exactly the same.
    And you can hardly say they're original?
    I'm not saying they're bad, just that I don't like them.
    I've heard many people who say they're brilliant.

And I saw them in Galway, last Sunday, O Malleys.
    Didn't you mention you were there in the other thread?

Mael Mordha definetly look like they're straight out of Braveheart though.
    They're a brilliant band.

• Advertisement

Yep I was at the O'Malleys gig in Galway.

I actually interviewed them for Flirt FM, The UCG radio station, and they where dead on guys. Really funny.

And I meet the lead guy from My Dying Bride....really dead on but seriously morbid.....like he just came from his best friends funeral....

That place O'Malley's is one odd joint though....the guy at the bar has almost complete contempt for his customers...but their always good for metal bands.....I think three of so weeks ago Corrupted played there.

O Malleys is one of the worst pubs in the world.
    The Barman Jerry is seriously terrible, and he hates everyone.
    Serious pity that it's the only place to get decent Metal gigs in Galway.
    The time Corrupted played was terrible. There were 8 bands that night, and the security were turning people away it was getting so ****ing packed. And Jerry had the heat turned up so he'd sell more pints, but it was so hot and sweaty in there, that it was impossible to do anything other than sit perfectly still. And of course, he's the slowest barman in the world, so he probably lost out on a lot of money for being such a dip. Not to mention that there wasn't another barman there at all, just him.

That was one fúcked up night...apparently they ran out of beer.

I was talking to a friend of mine who was there and he thought it was a cool gig...wouldn't know myself but no doubt the pints were fúcking horrible.

You got it right with Jerry.....one evil cúnt.

He dosen't even do pints of water....he bloody well makes you pay for them!!!!!

Hey AngelWhore do you know a guy called Thor....he's usally involved in the O'Malley gigs.....big metaler from Sligo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

I was going to quote you Angel Whore, but no need to repeat everything you said. The gig was great, I was really looking forward to it.

Mael Mordha are always excellent and I was more than pleased with My DYing Bride's performance...
    I always regret the sound quality in TBMC though, but the bands all deserve a A++.

If only they could come to see us more often....:D

Originally posted by deco
    Hey AngelWhore do you know a guy called Thor....he's usally involved in the O'Malley gigs.....big metaler from Sligo?

Thor? Big? :D

Yeah, I know the guy pretty well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement