Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 days till GTA 3 :)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Asked in Game and the chap reckons it'll be €50. He said it's £30 sterling.
    I have mine ordered on play.com aswell, I was just curious about the price in shops.
    I just hope it gets delivered quickly, I am still waiting on 5 items to arrive that really should have come last friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i havent played the ps2 version, so can you destoy buildings a bit like in red faction?
    can you enter the buildings?
    do the citizens react to you .. like if you started stalking some guy with an m16, will he $hit his pants?
    do cars get damaged? ..explode?
    can you shoot as you drive?
    will it come on a dvd?
    can you hi-jack helicopters?

It's on a cd not a dvd iirc.
    You can shoot from cars, well you can on the PS2 version I think.
    I'm sure cars do explode, they did in all the other GTA games.
    Dont know the answers to the other questions.

Minimum requirements
    Pentium III 450 CPU
    64MB RAM
    16MB Direct3D Video Card
    Fully DirectX compatible Sound Card
    8X CD-Rom
    500MB free hard disk space
    Win 98/ME/2000/XP/NT
    Direct X 8.1
    Recomended requirements
    700 mhz CPU
    128MB RAM
    32MB Direct3D Video Card
    Fully DirectX compatible Sound Card
    8X CD-Rom
    500MB free hard disk space
    Win 98/ME/2000/XP/NT
    Direct X 8.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Had a play at the PC version last night.

It's, er, not very good really. Well... it's a good game still, in fact a great game, but compared to the PS2 version it's a mediocre bordering on poor port.

There's nothing extra, there are all sorts of horrible graphical glitches.... Draw distance on the world is nicer (although you lose some of the neat fogging effects the PS2 did), but draw distance on people and vehicles is rubbish - they fade into existence in front of you.

No multiplayer. The "use your own music" option is buried somewhere and seems to consist of "edit together your MP3s and shove them into a folder replacing the existing stations to fool the game into playing them" - lame.

Cutscenes have a horrible blur effect on them to mimic the PS2 motion blur effect, only on the PS2 it looked good - on the PC it hurts your eyes, genuinely.

Most annoying thing of all though is the control system. Driving is a pain with digital keyboard controls, and the mouse driving system just plain doesn't work.

It's still a great game. It's just that if you've been sitting around waiting for the PC version, you've waited six months for an inferior game to the one PS2 owners were playing before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

That just pisses me off.

I payed well over a grand for my Athlon box, and yet all the decent games being shipped over from the PS2 are inferior to a box costing under €300?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

yes but the one thing the PC ahs over the PS2 and other consoles it that dreaded word "THE PATCH" man i hate them (see my old CS posts on 70mb patches)
    But if its a shoddy port im sure there will be uproar and a patch released.
    Hopefully by tuesday when i get mine hehehhehe *wishful thinkin
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Shoulda developed it for the PC first, then scaled it abck for the PS2. Harder to do ti the other way while still using the same engine imho.
    Won't be buying it.

Any word on Dungeon Siege?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I payed well over a grand for my Athlon box, and yet all the decent games being shipped over from the PS2 are inferior to a box costing under €300?

Simple. There are console games and there are PC games. Hardware is not the same, control mechanisms are not the same, and the same games do NOT work on both platforms. You're going to see this a lot with the PS2 and Xbox - people trying to do things on those consoles which don't work because of porting issues.

Syxpak - why develop it for the PC first when all the money is to be made on the PS2? DMA did the right thing here, they chose the single best platform for the game economically and technically and focused on that. Ports elsewhere were an afterthought.

Shinji the thing about your review of the game is that it's coming from somebody who has played the ps2 version a lot it would seem. I only played it once and I'm sure there are a lot of people that havent played it at all. Taking this into account we wont be comparing it to the ps2 version so we will probably enjoy it more than you did. Of course this is just in realtion to the points you made about it in comparison to the ps2 version.
    Sucky controls can be countered by using a control pad I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yes, but Shinji has this really annoying habit of being right a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

got it today (wife bought it didnt know i odrered it).
    And well um its ok hasnt grabbed my attention yet.
    1st thing i felt wrong with it was the mouse cant be used for free look (max payne type unless its in the options and i couldnt see it)
    Driving seems a lot better with keyboard .
    But it seems to me to be like an emulated PS2 game runnning on a PC i have encountered loads of glitches and other funny things and i only have it 5 hours.
    So after all the wait and excitement i would say im a bit let down by it.
    When i got a loan of a PS2 and this i couldnt put it down i was addicted killed me to give it back but have to agree with Shinji after playing it does ahve that "emulated " feel to it.
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If they can't be arsed to implement a decent conrtol system when they have the chance and instead just make a hash job of the conversion (which should have been a remake ihmo) they really shouldn't have even bothered.

Advertisement