Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading CDROM from old PC to older one (socket problem?)

• 08-07-2001 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Once upon a time I had a PB166 (1995) but it fell apart so I scrapped it and got a better one. A friend of mine recently bought a PC from an office clearance which is a Dell 120 Mhz (I know dinosuars all).

Now I had upgraded the PBs CDROM with a X32 speed Creative Lads model. But in trying to install (recycling makes sence) it in the Dell Dino I find that the 4 pin connector to the motherboard is missing (only 2 pin male connections exist on the Dino Dells board). Both are/were running Win95, so can the CDrom actually be connected to a model that old? Or are there hardware differences that make it impossible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

erm, I presume you have the ide cable plugged in to the drive? If so it should work, providing the jumper on the rear of it is set to slave, and that you have changed the primary slave setting in the bios setup to auto.

The 4 pin connector is for cd audio, if there is no sound card in the dell it will not have one of these. Or else you are referring to a lack of spare power connectors... I dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I am assuming that the 4-pin connection you are referring to is the CD Audio connection from your CD-ROM to the sound card; in which case there may not even be a sound card in the old Dell; and there would be no CD Audio connection.

***FFS Gerry, second time in as many minutes!***

[This message has been edited by Kegser (edited 08-07-2001).]

Advertisement