Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VX,TX or FX - which is best for a P200 ?

• 04-07-2001 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Afaik the TX I ahve can't be clocked higher then 150 frown.gif has SRAM cache slot
    the FX is fried maybe, has SRAM cache slot
    the VX needs a bit of soldering to the clip for the CMOS batery and I have no resin core solder yet. has no SRAM cache slot
    I have an AT case and loads of cabling. Whcih one do i use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I thought (well coulda sworn) the VX was just for Pentium Pro chips? .. sorry thats about all I know smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

There's a P200 sitting in it now, though it isn't turned on and I haven't seeen it running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The tx is the most recent, best performing chipset, and the southbridge on that board will have udma 33. I run a tx board at home and it is extremely stable. I also have 2 vx boards which need new bios chips :/ I'd say the reason you can't clock the tx any higher is you haven't found the multiplier jumpers on the board.

Avoid the fx altogether. The vx has cache onboard, thats why it has no cache slot. (actually called a COAST slot)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

The boards fine. It came from a working machine smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Just FYI, and answering a small part of thw question, the FX was Pentium Pro, the FX 440 was modified for the first Pentium-II's (Very shortlived).

Ah the good old Coast slot, I still remember the cabbage who called Tech support after beating his replacement video card into it with a hammer....

• Advertisement

having a spot of bother getting it to even boot. The clip on the CMOS is broken off. The RAM (which i had myself before Kixx) aybe wrecked with Static, the AT power connectors may not be working rihht. The hard drive is not spinning up (I think)
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Just one really...It's Phucked.

Fixing it involves an awful lot of effort for an already obsolete machine (unless you just want an email station)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

just cos I'm bored, the 430fx was actually a pentium chipset, which was used for the low speed pentiums. and the 440fx was for the ppro as you say

do you need the CMOS battery to boot a PC?

Advertisement