Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap dvd player

Options
  • 21-05-2002 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

whats a cheap decent dvd player? it has to play vcd's

bomb

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I still swear by this minoka dvd player from power city for 149 yoyo's. It plays everything I've thrown at it, vcd's, mp3's in folders, cd-rw's, you name it. You can unlock the region and remove the macrovision via the remote. This thing has played cd's that wouldn't play on a scan2000 and the scan got loads of awards in the UK and is supposed to play everything! A friend even sold his scan to buy one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

off topic...

but did you ever go back to power city and confront them about charging for the hack?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I was back in there getting other stuff but 'Steven' wasn't there, so I didn't bother saying anything to anyone else. I might yet though!

Thanks again for your help BNC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

nothing wrong with charging for unlocking it.. its a service.. richersounds were doing the same with my player (for €25) and thats a remote unlock as well... i mean not everyone could be bothered looking up the internet before buying a player (or any piece of electronics), thats their problem imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...the Philips 622 plays CD-Rs, CD-RWs, VCDs, MP3s, and all that, has a remote region hack, and an excellent picture. About 220 euro I believe.

Gadget

• Advertisement

The Minoka is a re badged Daewoo which is a good known brand. Personally I will never buy anything Philips as I've had a lifetimes worth of bad experience with them and their products.

Kali I totally disagree with you on this one. Power City wanted 30 Euro for unlocking the region and a further 10 Euro for removing the Macrovision. Both of these are in the same hidden menu which is accessed by pressing 4 or 5 buttons on the remote. When I asked them what exactly did they have to do for this 40 Euro 'service' , did they have to chip it or what, I got the reply 'ohhhh emmmm I don't know what our technician does to it'. Don't tell me this is anything but a complete rip off, they don't need a technician to hack my player, even the aul wan on the check out coulda done it. Any 'service' has to have a reasonable price tag on it otherwise your being ripped off. If they were in any decent they woulda just told me what 4 buttons to press.

Advertisement