Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv on PC

• 08-07-2001 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

If I throw my TV's out...
    Get TV on my PC....
    Do I need a TV licence?
    Mr TV inspector comes into house and sees no TV what he do?
    Or does a video card with TV in need a licence?
    DemonBaby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DemonBaby:
    If I throw my TV's out...
    Get TV on my PC....
    Do I need a TV licence?
    Mr TV inspector comes into house and sees no TV what he do?
    Or does a video card with TV in need a licence?
    DemonBaby.
    </font>

I thought of this too. But if you read the TV licence law, it states that you must have one for "...any device capable of receiving television signals..." (or something along those lines).

Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

My head recieves television signals. It doesn't display these signals in any way, but it does recieve them. Do I need a Head licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Unless your man from An Post is reasonably tech savvy he's prob not going to cop you can use your PC, let's face it everybody has a TV so when he sees it's not there he'll prob leave it at that (after searching the cupboards), the main thing is to let him in to look cause I've heard of people ending up in court cause they kept insisting on the phone they didn't have a TV but were never at home when your man called

However, the apt I'm in currently never had Cable until I moved in, 1 week exactly after I had it installed I got a letter from An Post saying they didn't have a record of a TV Licence for my address, so I reckon they've access to NTL's records (Paranoia?)

[This message has been edited by ConUladh (edited 08-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I've thought about this myself, what if you have DSL (we can only wish) and you are viewing TV brodcasts over the net, onto your pc, do you need one then?

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If you get rid of all your tellys and stop paying the fee, they start thinking your screwing them and you'll find they hassle you more.

One of the places I worked did a demo for RTE on thier TV which was used for presentation purposes only. A couple of weeks later they got a bill for a TV license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Interesting article on p12 of the Culture section of yesterday's Sunday Times on that very topic by Michael Ross. Got rid of his TV and spent years getting letters, visitors at odd hours, you know the drill. Worth reading.

Web link:
    http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/07/08/sticuicui01004.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ConUladh:
    ...so I reckon they've access to NTL's records (Paranoia?)[This message has been edited by ConUladh (edited 08-07-2001).]</font>

Not paranoid at all. As far as I know, this is a fairly common occurance. Even worse though, I recall from my student days that some guys got bullied into getting a TV licence because the house was simply wired for cable; they didn't actually have a TV and they weren't paying for the cable either. The inspector told them they had "receiving apparatus" (meaning the cablelink box on the wall) and told them they'd better pay up or face court. Of course, they paid it.

Advertisement