Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem booting PC

• 09-07-2001 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

As a few of ye have replied to simlar earlier threads like this I'll keep it brief:
    My FX board (the one witha P75 atatched - soon to be P200) will just tyrn on and the POST won't come up. Bothing else seems to happen.
    I've only done this once or twice. I *think* there might have been at ealst some SRAM mounted on the board unbeknownst to me, and when i put in a expansionboard of 256KB I set the jumpers to the 256 setting. I may in fact have had 512KB cache. Would this have stopped the POST from showing? It seems to detect the drives and teh RAM ok. Any help with my problem would be much appreciated as I really want to get Delta Force1 working on my Lan before the end of the summer and start of college.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Isn't POST *before* the RAM and drive check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I thought the POST was the bit where it gives a table listing the hard drives etc. and the CPU, the Cache etc.
    Power On Self-Test. Correct me if i'm wrong. As usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Erm, the POST encompasses a lot of different tests; everything from CPU to Memory to Keyboard to Mouse.

SyxPak; make sure all your cards, memory modules and CPU are all well seated. Double check all your jumper settings. Try running the board in a minimal configuration; ie without any funky devices attached. Try booting it without any IDE ribbons attached to the Mobo, etc. etc.

It's just a matter of eliminating all the possibilities before coming to the conclusion it's the motherboard itself that's causing the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hmm, ok will try that. i didn't bother much with it before cos it was a P75 box i got for free, just took the had drive and left it. I'll go back to it now I suppose.
    Thanks, i was wondering if anyone would reply again ad i've been banging on about this situation for the past week.

Advertisement