Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't install DVB PCI card

• 21-05-2002 10:55pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

I recently got a SkyStar2 DVB card for Europe Online but I can't get my PC to install the drivers. The PC doesn't see new hardware. I have swapped it about in other vacant PCI slots to no avail. Add New Hardware in CP doesn't work either. Oddly the F-type output does have voltage to power the satdish LNB

Then I decided to try removing PCI soundcard to see if any difference is made. My PC would then start up whirring but not start the monitor or "beep" the BIOS. Or if I put soundcard in another PCI and DVB card into soundcard slot, PC wont boot.

My PCI config now is:
    1. blank
    2. soundblaster card
    3. blank
    4. skystar2 dvb
    5. blank
    6. modem

I am running Win98SE on a Gateway (don't laff) PIII 550Mhz.

What would be wrong? Any help greatly appreciated as I would like to get Europe Online up and running ASAP.

I have considered format but that's a tad drastic.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by irishbyte
    Oddly the F-type output does have voltage to power the satdish LNB

What would be wrong? Any help greatly appreciated as I would like to get Europe Online up and running ASAP.

Are you booting with the coax connected? I am not sure of the circuitry but if there is a short on the LNB coax, it may be dragging down the power line.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I must be missing something... are you saying the card is inserted but the system will not pick it up? Or that if you put in the card your system will not post or start up?

Anyway your system should be capable of using the card... nothing wrong with your mobo anyway.. so i suggest making sure the bios is set to plug and play... Also as for 98se... it installs and works BUT its not the best os for getting files... win2k or XP is much better... win98 tends to get a lot of incompletes... never had a problem with XP and incompletes... So install one of them as a second os and see if it works.. also make sure the card is not arsed.. try it in another computer!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Thanks for replies

Jmcc: No I have not connected the coaxial lead. I just stuck a multimeter on it to see if there was voltage.

Saruman: As I speak the card is inserted but the PC doesnt know that it's there. If I remove soundcard, PC won't post. If I put soundcard in other PCI slot and put DVB where I had soundcard, PC won't post. If I just move soundcard to another PCI without DVBV card, the PC boots and updates settings. Very strange why the PC won't post without soundcard

I hope to have WinMe tomorrow. If I install this, will it help my situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I think your DVB card is broken.
    Do you want to try another one?
    I could post an EON card to you tomorrow (freeb just to test), if you PM me your address and im sure you would have it this weekend.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What a nice chap chernobyl is... btw i would suggest under NO circumstances install ME... If you need to change os use win2000 or WinXP

• Advertisement
    byte

Firstly, I must express many thanks to Chernobyl for the offer. PM on its way tho as it's after 8pm, i won't get it til Monday.:)

I have heard Me is only a glossed Win98. Tho I was getting a good offer for Me which is why I was gonna use it;)

Win2000 isn't any good for gaming and XP probably would have a fit with all my cheapo Gateway components (plus it would cost more)?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by Saruman
    What a nice chap chernobyl is... btw i would suggest under NO circumstances install ME... If you need to change os use win2000 or WinXP

WIN me is the worst version of windows ever created I had nothing but problem after problem with it so I went back to win98 problems solved I have XP now and it's even better.

I reckon your card is probably busted I had no problem installing mine on a gateway machine.

Cheers
    Redshift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Probably a broken card, but I've seen some gateways at school start to play up with 2+ PCI slots occupied due to irq conflicts somehow, that only happened with network adapters. Keep away from Me....win2k and winxp are much better. :)

byte

Well, chernobyl's DVB card arrived today and I tried installing it and, guess what, nothing! :confused:

SO I now have 2 Sky2PC cards and neither work. I guess it is my PC that is at fault (hardly surprising Gateway left IRL with the cack they sold :mad: )

I am lost now. What can be suggested now? Maybe a Windoze reinstall? BIOS flash (haven't a clue what make my BIOS is)? Give up altogether?:(

Any further help greatly appreciated

Advertisement