Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera

• 07-07-2001 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Strange, could've sworn I just started a thread an hour ago, anyway...

I was just wondering if any uses Opera and what advantages there are, if any.
    I ask because I just started using it last night and it has anice feel to it but I don't know if I could be bothered learning all the buttons etc smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Very quick to render and low on memory usage; it also can keep all your browser windows in a single Task Bar slot, so in case you get loads of pop-ups it's not much clutter on the bottom of the screen.

Main problem I found was that the plugin aspect is not as smooth as IE at all. Even for the two bugs I have found in IE (randomly timed disappearing menus for no reason with the Hidden Menu system, and sometimes the whole menu system would fail to "click" without a CTRL-B), I switched back because it rarely if ever crashes and supports all the latest Flash type stuff, and the excessive use of crap markup formats on the web these days (can you say XML).

Again though, very low mem consumption, very very very configurable and well programmed to the extent that they could without integrating it into Windows.

Problem is the price..............eck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Opera's nice when you want to run a browser from a college account that isn't as slow and as crash as Netscape smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Does the advertising on the free version have much effect on the experience (speed, memory etc.)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fidelis:

I was just wondering if any uses Opera and what advantages there are, if any.
    I ask because I just started using it last night and it has anice feel to it but I don't know if I could be bothered learning all the buttons etc smile.gif[/B]</font>

Well do - its well worth it. I've been using Opera for the better part of two years and love it. Its fast, uses much less memory than either of the other two, and all windows open up within the browser, easily accessible through a button bar on the bottom (or wherever you want it).
    Highly configurable (if you don't like the default buttons you can download other sets. With version 5.11/5.12 handling of java script is much improved, however, it still can't handle sites entirely written for ie using DHMTL etc. like a lot of the internet banking sites, but I can live with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ConUladh:
    Does the advertising on the free version have much effect on the experience (speed, memory etc.)?</font>

Little or none as far as I can see.

I like the zoom feature smile.gif

Opera is all I use to access Boards.ie ... it's dead handy.

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Advertisement

oh... plus the mouse gestures (like in Black & White) in version 5.11 and above... excellent little feature, - dead handy for when you're short on desk space (as I am)...

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Very nice program except when people design sites for ie only :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

And how big is this exactly? any URLS? or even an irish/UK mirror?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    oh... plus the mouse gestures (like in Black & White) in version 5.11 and above... excellent little feature,
    </font>

You should download Sensiva from the com of the same name then, same idea but works on the OS itself. Takes a while to get used to but very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:
    And how big is this exactly? any URLS? or even an irish/UK mirror?</font>

The latest version is 2.18 MB (without Java), with Java 9.8 MB.
    And try www.opera.com, they offer various download site, nearest is in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I've been using opera for a few months now, and it's really great. I only keep IE around for testing web things I do, Opera does everything nicely.

I don't care about the ad, I just ignore it. (Winamp is usually covering it, and since my display is at 1280x1024 it's only a wee speck anyway smile.gif )

I've sometimes had opera crash and keep crashing until I reinstalled it, but that was because I was tinkering with plugins and the .ini and all that.

The hotlist bar is very useful, I usually keep that open, and the zoom is great for all sorts of things.

The little incompatibilities between it and IE are irritating at times, usually because something works properly in opera and not in IE smile.gif (easier to be ****ed off at microsoft smile.gif )

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Molly:
    Very nice program except when people design sites for ie only :/</font>

Opera can be set to report itself to the server as itself, Mozilla 5.0, Mozilla 4.76, Mozilla 3.0 or IE5.0, which essentially circumvents "browser checks" on sites which try to avoid displaying in browsers that they (wrongly) consider to be "crap".

Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:
    And how big is this exactly? any URLS? or even an irish/UK mirror?</font>

Irish (Dublin) mirrors:

- Esat.Net
    http://esatnet.tucows.com/adnload/63_28540.html

- IP Engineering
    http://tucows.ipeng.com/adnload/63_28540.html

Bard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

cool, thanks, I'll giove it whirl.
    Anyone heard of POCO mail? I got it yesterday after my cousin reccomended it. installed it and uninstalled it in 5 mins. Couldn't import anything correctly, address books in CSV format.
    Anyone know of a freeware downlaod resume-er ? like getright only fre and minus the spyware.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Syxpak, I have the registered version of Getright and it supplies a program to remove the spyware, although I *doubt* that the mod would approve of me posting a url for it wink.gif

Gozilla or Download Accelerator would be the other two options.

... or FlashGet...

shmart smile.gif

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

Advertisement