Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet 0214 area

Options
  • 22-05-2002 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi, all of you, can't add much to your heated discussions. In fact, need to take advice from you, so please help me out... I will move from the mainland to your fairy isle this June, and I need internet connection, and a good provider, as I will be building websites. Will also be using it for freelance work, so I would be benefitting from all your previous struggles for a better cheaper service :D! Thanks for doing the Irish and the newcommers a favour. Now...question is: what is my best bet in the 0214 area, rural, we do have a tv-satelite - could be used to internet, right?- but it is paid for from holland, so we do not have an Irish subscription for the dish, and I quess this Cork company Media Sattelite (? only just heared of them?) will only help Irish customers.internet connection at a fair price, maybe you can give me hints on ISDN aswell, anything really. Thanks...I hope someone out there helps out!:p Oh, I need a mobile phone too, or is that asking too much now?;) Bye

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

Originally posted by oester
    I will move from the mainland to your fairy isle

where is the mainland?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to Nets/Comms

I'm guessing that your main question is about ISPs in the 021 area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I will move from the mainland

Say that on Politics or Humanities, I dare you.

to your fairy isle

I hope that was a typo.

what is my best bet in the 0214 area, rural

Do you even know where you're going? 021 4x is Cork City and suburbs. I wouldn't go around Cork calling it "rural", you'd find yourself back on the "mainland" pretty rapid.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

No Adam, you've got him all wrong, he's calling Cork the fairy isle .

Can someone organise some etiquette counselling for this poor soul before he/she arrives in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wormhole

for the love of god man stop reading those Bord Faulty pamphlets
    and burn that copy of "Darby o'gill and the little people"
    before you get here:D

wormhole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by wormhole
    for the love of god man stop reading those Bord Faulty pamphlets
    and burn that copy of "Darby o'gill and the little people"
    before you get here:D
    Err, "to be sure to be sure"? :rolleyes:

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Good Connections and good providers and Ireland dont go in the same sentence! there is no flat rate here yet and dsl is wildly priced. If ya want information on the various isp's, charges etc goto www.eircom.net and www.esat.ie. Also if its cork your moving to then I think I read somewhere about Chrous doing some high speed access for 50 euro a month, although with their track record I wouldnt hold ones breath.

As for a mobile then go for O2, a good network for me anyway, always have coverage no matter what bog your stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Occidental
    No Adam, you've got him all wrong, he's calling Cork the fairy isle .

Can someone organise some etiquette counselling for this poor soul before he/she arrives in Cork.

Yes indeed... or the poor uneducated chap would soon find himself at the wrong end of a broken bottle.

No Adam, you've got him all wrong, he's calling Cork the fairy isle

My comrades of the Rodina will not be pleased.

Also if its cork your moving to then I think I read somewhere about Chrous doing some high speed access for 50 euro a month

Nope, not in Cork, that's Limerick. Chorus are talking about trialling broadband now, but only in a small area in Cork (somewhere in the Northside, it's the only area they've upgraded).

although with their track record I wouldnt hold ones breath.

Indeed. Because you'd die, see? Roll on Sky+.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 oester

Dr. Seagull, why answer your question if u don't answer mine?

Sceptre, as I already explained I'm not familiar-that's something different from being a poor uneducated chap- with abreviations used for Irish services: ISP? Just want to know where to start to get internet, but I believe I have enough info now. Must say I am new to this board thing, didn't go flawless...

Dahamstra (Adam), let's not talk politics, where I'm from cadidates get assasinated before the elections. Yes, I know where I'm going to (what a question!) but maybe you have never travelled outside of your parish: 50 minutes driving South, past Bandon the phonenumbers also start with 0214, and no, we're definetely not talking about Cork's suburbs (broaden your horizon)! Lived in Cork for 3 years aswell! And Limerick for 2 months. Prefer Cork, but eventhough I agree with you it is not rural (never said it was, that's you who mixed up things!) being Irelands 2nd biggest city, it isn't as metropolitan as Dublin either.

Ocidental and Wormhole, what makes u think I'm a he? Some etiquette counselling would do YOU both good!

Inspector Gadget and Rymus, what can I say...u are sad people, don't come back unless u have interesting news. What a shame to abuse Oscar Wilde, his quote has more content than your streetfighters-nonsense. Ask mummy what I mean with that.

And now, Ronan, thnx for just being nice. I'll try the 02, and the sites.

• Advertisement

Inspector Gadget and Rymus, what can I say...u are sad people, don't come back unless u have interesting news. What a shame to abuse Oscar Wilde, his quote has more content than your streetfighters-nonsense. Ask mummy what I mean with that.

Ohh happy day! I got a mention! My 'streetfighters-nonsense' may be just that but its exactly what'll happen if you come to Cork calling it the "fairy isle".

I have plenty of interesting news, I just dont feel the need to waste any of it on a gowl like you :D

If you still feel the need to research our ISP market, I suggest you move your mouse over a few inches and look at the IrelandOffline board.

T'ra now

That's where my first thread used to be, it still is as I read threads on Eircom DSL and wanted to reply, but somehow (okay, you can call me green on this one) started 2 new threads as I specified a subject, but that is beginners badluck. Never posted anything to Nets/Comms, only Community, don't know how it got here, but something must have gone all arseways. It was the computer, not me!!!

it was moved here because it has more to do with net/comms than ireland offline
    i only asked where the mainland is because i was confused ireland is the mainland how could u move from ireland to ireland :confused:

Hi, Dr.Seagull, let's fly over this once more, I am not a native english speaker so misunderstandings wouldn't be long waiting: quess writing about my upcoming move from the mainland to your fairy isle was the worse thing I could have done (what a lot of rubbish came from that!), so I'll be as precise and dull as possible so that ye all understand, I meant from the continent to Ireland and since u insist I wil tell as u haven't already quessed: I'm from Rotterdam. Don't even dare giving me the Beautyfull South line next.

Now, what can u do for me?

so I'll be as precise and dull as possible so that ye all understand

Thats not going to get you any favors either.

I know, I am not trying to score brownie points with u. Never knew that fairy isle could be misread as a queer insult (my friend just told me), starting to get what the commotion was about... just meant the cliché, for no reason but my own excitement for moving over. Get's me hyper. Mind u, never saw such a thing as an elf. And over here we don't wear clogs. Not even worthy of an argument.

ok sorry i didnt realise your main language wasnt english
    i know a few people online who are from rotterdam i know u can get some good value adsl there so u will be very disapointed at the internet connections u can get in this country
    in cork atm i think the only internet access avilable to residential users is 56k or isdn there is no flat rate for these so u will have to pay 1.25 cent per minute(does that inculde vat i cant remeber)
    + line rental
    using the net for 2 hours a day in the evening will cost u about 60 euro a month
    there isnt realy much differnce between the isp's
    some u dont have to sign up just get their number dial up and pay for the price of the call
    eircom and esat have a subscription service where u pay a monthy fee these isp's have slightly lower call charges

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Don't even dare giving me the Beautyfull South line next.

Hehe, i'd get used to it. Coming from Rotterdam myself ive heard that line a fair bit, tho not as much lately. Might have something to do with it being a ****e song :p

If your used to broadband for next to nothing you will very soon get withdrawl symptoms. The good news is (from what i read on IOFFL boards) is that Esat will be/have put in dsl in the exchanges there (cork) and will be cheaper than Eircom (tho not by a whole lot.)

A thing to remember is that if you get ISDN installed here and you then decide you want DSL you'll have to pay to go back to a 56k line before they can even test if your line will work. ( rumours that that might change in the nearish future).

Isps are all pretty much the same. A subscrition isp might be slightly more reliable but i wouldnt say its worth it. Try oceanfree, i heard they are the best. ( personally i use a sub isp ;) )

Mobile network i'd personally recomend is Vodaphone. I havent tried O2 however.

Ne way, all the best.

it will still be some time before there is dsl in cork esat havent given a release date yet and when it is released it will be 110 euro a month which is alot more than u would be paying in the netherlands

B-K-DzR, I assume you speak Dutch, but in case u are almost after forgetting this one is especially for u: "altijd leuk om een stadsgenoot te ontmoeten. Het was hier een gekkenhuis na de moord op Pim Fortuyn, gewoon een bedevaarts oord."

As I knew with a while that I would emigrate I never bothered to get ADSL here in Rotterdam, that only became more widespread last year (saw it more in designagencies than for private use, where people use ISDN or MXStream by KPN).

Dr.Seagull, u say 110 Euro: dsl in Cork is I think twice as expensive, but then again I never needed it as I was fulltime employed and only surfed the web in the evenings after office hours, not even daily (now I'm packing so I peek during the day aswell).
    I didn't download too much as with a normal phoneline here it also goes very slow, so I toasted my audio CD's from the library (no such thing with the cassette tapes from Grand Parade).

The reason why I show an interest more so now, is that when I said 0214 rural I meant it, I'll be living 50 min. driving South, past Innishannon/Bandon heading to Ballinspittle, so: cows, beetroot, tracors, telephone poles that are defect after a storm, thunder and lightning danger... but fresh air! So, I don't fancy gridlock every day, hoping to flexwork from home or completely start for myself, thus needing a connection for 8 hours a day, probably ending up with
    broadband (same as adsl right).
    Will Esat give that service as far as there too? I know the countryside will be far behind when it comes to that (and other things). ISDN would be easier if we keep the same landline, just add a box, don't need cable, but won't give me the fast downloads. My first posted thread I mention we have satelite, do u know of uses with that?

Where are most people from on this board? Sounds like Cork to me. I lived in the centre up to 1999, moved house 3 times, all on the North side, trainstation, and close to Mc Curtain St.

• Advertisement

50 minutes driving South, past Bandon the phonenumbers also start with 0214

I don't think they do. Bandon is 023. Ballinspittle, which you mention in another post, is also 023. If you dial 021x, you'll be switched to a Cork City or suburbs exchange. I think you may be mistaken.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Kinsale is 021 (odd really, doesn't make much sense) & most of the numbers (don't know about all) then begin with a 4. Innishannon is the same (both used start with a 7 until they added the extra digit).

West of that though, you're certainly into 023 territory.

:cool: You're right, sceptre, even foreigners know that!

You're right, sceptre, even foreigners know that!

Uh, hello? Bandon is miles West of Inisshannon and Kinsale. And you're talking about out as far as Ballinspittle. I know people in Ballinspittle, and they're dialling code is most certainly not 0214.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Inspector Gadget and Rymus, what can I say...u are sad people, don't come back unless u have interesting news.

My, you know how to make friends :rolleyes:

I'll put this in simple language so you understand: the post to which I was replying, and attempting to reinforce the point of with a little humour (evidently you're unfamiliar with with the source I was referring to) on the side, is that referring to Ireland as the "fairy isle" in Cork, or most other parts of Ireland, is the express route to a hospital.

You now seem to have figured out what all of this is about, and I hope you've calmed down. However, I hope this teaches you not to shoot your mouth off like that in (relatively) unfamiliar territory when you're not sure of the facts - the various dialects of English used across Ireland, the UK and the US are sufficiently different that you can easily insult people unwittingly - some of us were just trying to warn you about this.

The fact remains, though, that there's nothing unwitting about the comments of yours I've quoted above - this whole thing that, in your own words is indeed "Not even worthy of an argument", has only become one because you decide to fire broadsides out-of-the-blue at people who have (or at least had) no ill will towards you.

If you continue to post here, please take the time to examine what's going on before you start slinging mud at people who are neither looking for it or deserve it. Also, if there's something you don't understand, please ask - that's what we're here for.

Gadget

"...with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences", a very appropriate one.

Now that u take some time to reply you're not so bad at all, so I'll try to choose my words more carefully.

"if there's something you don't understand, please ask", gee, thanks, that's how I started posting here in the first place, but only few answered straight.

Clean start? :(

...and Adam, in between Bandon and Ballinspittle the code is -have to disappoint you again- still 0214.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 =BoA=Raider

Regarding ISPs in the 0214 area (which I live in).

I use IOL (free), I usually connect at 44kps my max has been 45.2kps (or something around there).

Regarding the billing.
    I use Esat (Fusion) for internet calls @ 1c per min. I still use Eircom but dial prefex before dialing the ISP (IOL). I'm not sure if this can still be done as I believe that if you sign up for Esat now that you must use them for all your calls. Whereas I use Eircom for other calls and get the best of both worlds :)

Eircom is better for local calls but the internet is billed at 1.26c per min. I believe Esat have much cheaper international calls than Eircom. You still pay Eircom for your line rental.

On occasion I use Indigo (owned by Eircom now) as my ISP but I only connect at 31.2kps using them and also I'm charged at 1.26c per min. The only time I use this ISP is when i can't connect to IOL (which is very very very rare).

just out of interest oester how much do u pay per minute in the netherlands for internet calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

they got flat rate in nl.

• Advertisement

Through KPN -main phone service- I could have chosen ADSL or ISDN, but as I'm moving I didn't do so. So, you can add your most frequently used telephonenumbers to a list of 10 (local, national, mobile and international) on which u get 10 percent reduction. Only recently I found out that my providers number (0676) can't be billed by Tele2, so KPN has monopoly on that, how smart...
    I chose for all else Tele2, a service that actually lets KPN do the billing for subscription and special phone numbers (like inquiries or wakeupservice), but offers me better rates per minute, so my phonecosts are paid to them.

My provider here where I call in to start internetting is a free one too, freeler. You can also get Planetinternet for 80 Euro a year to get ad-free service, but I don't value that so much. So IOL sounds like my package, too.

I must say I just pay my bill, comes to roughly 80 Euro per month to Tele2, my longdistance calls to Ireland are crazy! And KPN takes around 45 Euro per month for subscription, internet and special numbers. Total costs around 125 Euro a month, not exessive internet using that is with an internal modem (G4 56 K). I am sure there are better deals, but international costs are adding it up to this! No set monthly internet fee can beat those phonecosts unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement