Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geforce 3- Price too good to be true?

• 07-07-2001 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Add sales tax and vat and it is over 250 squid.

Still not bad, just a bit misleading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Lo all

Went to order one cos that card is priced about STG£40 less than trade price here,and i would be VAT exempt making the card cost about STG 140 all in (peanuts for a GF3). This is the story.....

No probs with the order process till it came time to submit the credit card details, *warning bells*, not on a secure server....!!!

Went back (not having given the details) and chose submit by phone, lo and behold I got an order number, but no contact details.

Went to home page, got the contact details there but despite numerous tries have got no answer, not even an answering machine !?

Not passing any comment, but just relaying what I came across. Interesting to see if we ever get the card, and at what eventual price.

cyas

[This message has been edited by OKenora (edited 07-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

hmmmm, I just took a visit to said homepage and when I looked up the prices here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://www1.estore.esat.net/cgi-bin/eclonline.storefront/3b4703070835199a273fc1789afd061a/Catalog/1368<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Well I was shocked to say the least biggrin.gif (not really, sillier things have happened). If you see the way they have their geforce family priced you will notice that they don't know their hand from their rear end smile.gif

(including vat)
    MX £112.50
    GTS £318
    PRo £423
    Geforce 3 £209.29

Something wrong here imho rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gif

Shouldn't they have to give the card to the customer for the price they have stated, I think we are within our rights to have said card at said price smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i assume its an error in pricing but most compaines will honour the online price...so where is my mothers VISA...aHA!!!!

wow.JPG
    Ashley Lyn Cafagna

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 07-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

heh, the price is most certainly incorrect, most likely the GF2Pro and the GF3 prices are swapped. Regardless, I was checking it out by clicking thru the links, said I wanted to pay via phone (Credit Card, its on option for payment on their site) and I didnt even give any payment details, yet it came up with an order number and a message, "You will get your package as soon as possible"... so I ordered another one! smile.gif

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was having a look around various websites and came accross an Irish Store offering them for only £174.41 ex vat, tell me its true!!
    nb. click the Grapics/TV Cards link

Edited to fix link

[This message has been edited by Longfield (edited 07-07-2001).]

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Probabably is.
    I haven't heard about a large price drop from Nvidia, but looks like they've done just that... 200 quid for a GF3 is extrememly good, considering the length of time it took the Ultra to reach those same levels of "ooh i can actually afford it now".
    Then again maybe they put in the wrong amount, best price I've seen for them yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

You know they've probably got their billing bit correct, just advertised the price wrong. I hope to fck for your sake you'll be able to argue about having to get it at the advertised price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

aye greenbeen u right, if u gave ur credit card details thru website ur fu<ked, because all that will happen is that the people doing up the orders and invoices will have a total different system and different prices...the ones on the net or only the ones updated (probably weekly) by the web staff.

the software being used in some esat solution for a webstore, i doubt that this integrates with their billing department. and even if it does, come monday when sales guy finds a huge number of purchases for one item hes gonna check whats up...and *poof* there goes your proof of advertised price.

even though im a realist, my name is down for one too wink.gif but i wont be giving them my cc details untill i speak with someone on the phone.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I found their phone number on the site.
    Best thing to do is try to order by phone on Monday morning and see what happens!

ECL Online Ltd.,
    Unit 3,
    Information Age Centre,
    Ballymaley Business Park,
    Ennis,
    Co. Clare
    Tel: +353 (0)65 684 2012
    Fax: +353 (0)65 684 2025
    Email: info@ecl.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yankinlk:
    the software being used in some esat solution for a webstore, i doubt that this integrates with their billing department. and even if it does, come monday when sales guy finds a huge number of purchases for one item hes gonna check whats up...and *poof* there goes your proof of advertised price.
    </font>

What if you have a screenshot of the advertised price.... smile.gif

(BTW Geforce 3 is currently £311 Sterling on dabs.com)

ecl.jpg

[This message has been edited by The Cigarette Smoking Man (edited 08-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Hell if you have the money then its worth the risk (always send it back if they decide to charge the full price).
    Usually prices are all pulled from the one product db anyway... unless the people putting through the orders (unless its all done automatically which i doubt) know how much it should be then nobodys gonna notice, I mean its still 200 quid, so it sounds somewhat plausible, if it was less than a 100 I'm sure eyebrows would be raised somewhere along the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Just one point lads, we're always complaining about a lack of irish stores and here is a new one that we're going to r@pe for easily over a grand because one of them made a typo.
    If it was one of the biggies I'd be all for it, but chances are this is a small/new business. Just keep it in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

There memory prices are the same for both PC100 and PC133 type SD SIMMS.

E.g.
    256MB PC100 SDRAM = £118.50
    256MB PC133 SDRAM = £118.50

Is there something wrong with this company?

But that is a good point CREED!.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phobos:
    There memory prices are the same for both PC100 and PC133 type SD SIMMS.

E.g.
    256MB PC100 SDRAM = £118.50
    256MB PC133 SDRAM = £118.50

Is there something wrong with this company?
    </font>
    Yes. Those prices are absolute pants - they are in excess of double the price you should be expecting to pay for memory at the moment.

Last week, SCAN had 256MB of PC133 for about £35 stg. I can get it here in Switzerland for below IEP50 in a number of shops.

The prices for gfx cards (excluding the GF3 which has to be a misprint) are equally ludicrous.

The reason that Irish shops are few and far between is becauwse they charge too much. Whatever about teh "bricks n mortar" shops - online shops MUST be comparable to foreign shops who will deliver to Ireland. So far, they dont come close.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Just caught this thread this morning. The price on the site has shot back up to IR£352.50. Looks like somone copped on. I wonder if they'll honour the orders? Somehow I doubt it.

Their little quote on the GF£ reads:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Gamers’ Heaven - crammed with awesome new features which will make a lasting impression on more than just your retinas.</font>

I guess they mean "on your pockets as well" wink.gif

Well, I have an email invoice from them, with the original price, and a ph number. Im going to ring them later and we will see if they honour or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭DemonBaby

I also have ordered one of these Geoforce3 cards.
    As far as I'm awarre they are under no legal requirement to honour the low price previously advertised..even if you do have the order number and price.
    I hope I'm wrong thogh. smile.gif
    DemonBaby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

They don't have to sell it to you unfortunately:

I saw a fur coat in a shop for £100 but the shop-assistant said it was a mistake. Have I any right to buy the coat at that price?
    Not really, but the position is complicated. If the wrong price-ticket is put on goods, the shop-keeper might be guilty of an offence of giving a false price indication if the price shown is not the price charged. Of course, if the shop-keeper decides to sell you the goods at the price shown (even though it was a mistake) no offence has been committed. On the other hand, you have no direct right to demand the goods at the price indicated. A price ticket does not constitute an offer for sale but is what is called an "invitation to treat".

I just called ECL, the guy in charge of online orders was at lunch.... so the accountant took my CC details. I asked him several times to call out the amount being charged to the card, he called out the original price. I imagine therefore that its in the system at the price I ordered it at, and since the accountant confirmed the price, all is good??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Bah,

Rang today to give the c/c details and guess what, they made a mistake on the price, but not that it matters cos they don't have any of them anyway.

Guess we all knew this was going to be the final outcome smile.gif

• Advertisement

Hmmm... thats not too encouraging at all. You reckon I should call back.... or await contact from them. Technically I have paid already..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭DemonBaby

Cig smokin guy is right.
    while studying sale of goods act in college I remember a case from 1913 about a penknife with the wrong price on it in the window.
    But if you have all ready paid for the card..and they said the Geo3 was the cheaper price you might have a good case.
    Demon~Baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

<final boss from Marvel vs Capcom 1>The dream is dead!</final boss from Marvel vs Capcom 1>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭[fist]de_psIRE

Actually, This is quite am interesting legal case atm. Sure enough, if they advertize at a certain prize they are under no obligation to sell it to you at that price. A price tag is merely an invitaion to treat and imposes no obligations on the seller.

However, in automated selling transactions, particularly in internet based purchases, there are many greay areas where this is not the case. Here is an example:

GF3 advertised at £15 on the internet.
    On-line payment scheme in place.
    You place yr credit card details and do everything you would be expected to do to purchase the item.
    You receive an acknowlegdment of yr purchase (not an aknowledgement of yr order) via e-mail, or on-secreen having filled out the details.

The contract is now complete, they owe you a GF3, it is absolutely 100% concrete, there is no way of them to get out of it.

Unless: there is a disclaimer (not just a line in the smallest text size but one that the regular guy would have been expected to have noticed/read/been aware of.

I dunno if this situation follows what ive said, just thought id talk for awhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man:
    They don't have to sell it to you unfortunately:

I saw a fur coat in a shop for £100 but the shop-assistant said it was a mistake. Have I any right to buy the coat at that price?
    Not really, but the position is complicated. If the wrong price-ticket is put on goods, the shop-keeper might be guilty of an offence of giving a false price indication if the price shown is not the price charged. Of course, if the shop-keeper decides to sell you the goods at the price shown (even though it was a mistake) no offence has been committed. On the other hand, you have no direct right to demand the goods at the price indicated. A price ticket does not constitute an offer for sale but is what is called an "invitation to treat".
    </font>

Bang on, CSM, the relevant case is the Boots Pharmaceutical Chemists case in the 50s as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I'd be interested to hear if you folks get your cards.

Whilst i understand the arguement against I suspect those who paid by cc online have a case for getting the card at that price.

It would be like paying for something in a shop to be delivered only to be contacted and told the price was wrong and you still owe them money. The transaction is *complete* just the delivery of the item is to be carried out. They cannot up the price after the deal.

Best of luck to those involved!

When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Creative Labs GeForce 3 IR£352.50 IR£423.00 €537.10

I think they noticed it was wrong...
    its been changed. pooh!

Hi,

Got several emails, back and forth from ECL. The story is that they are going to honour my order, but they cannot get stock from their supplier. Basically they said the order still stands, but their supplier simply cant get the cards. Im tending to believe them on this. In an unrelated note, I have a friend who can hook me up with a Geforce3 for a little more and I can get it anytime, so I dont need to worry about ECL anymore. I must say, I was surprised that they said they would honour the order, and didnt try to play games about the pricing. Hopefully in the future their proper prices will come down (eh.. way down) and they'll be worth looking into again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Dd you give credit card details when you ordered?
    I ordered one and got the order number.
    They are meant to ring or fax me for my credit card details.
    DemonBaby

• Advertisement

I selected "Credit Card by phone", then I rang them and gave them my CC details. I imagine they are not going to call people, since they now know the price was wrong.

Matt

Advertisement