Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chains

Options
  • 22-05-2002 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Bugger.

The chain came off my virago 125 today, but i got it back on with a LOT of effort. It is quite clearly fucked and will need to be replaced asap. I've booked it in to be sorted out on Friday.

Any idea how much this is going to set me back?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

it shouldn't cost a lot Stephen, though I don't have a figure for you - call the garage you booked with and ask.
    I just wanted to say that it's very important you keep you're chain tight - no more than 1/4 to 1/2 an inch give either way - you were lucky not to have been hurt - take care driving it while you're waiting for it to be changed - keeping your chain greased up preserves it and makes it last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Arse. I'm going to be bikeless for about a week because the gimps have a bit of a backlog. Its a pain in the arse that they're the only bike dealer/garage in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Where do you live? Sinbce there's only one place that can do it??

Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

don't you know any bikers who can help you put one on??

is that phil on you avatar, dead cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

rollocks.. I was up your way a few days ago, I could have stuck on the new chain for ya. Chains are a balls alright, tighten, oil, tighten, oil.. its a seemingly never-ending cycle. Thank god for my shaft drive :)

unless the bike shop you've brought it into are total capitalists I very much doubt it'll cost you very much...

I just hope i can make it to Kilkenny from Carlow on the old chain this evening. I would have got it fixed here in Carlow, only the bike shop here appears to be closed (for good?).

btw yeah that is phil lynott in the avatar - I asked cloud to add a few thin lizzy ones that I made up - some of them DO look quite crap though :)

Well, I got back all right, but just in time I think, the chain seemed to be getting worse. According to the muppets in the garage, a new chain and sprockets will be the bones of 60 euros :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

60 quid? thats fairly cheap for new c & s. When I had to get that done on my old bike it cost me dearly... maybe I was just being screwed by the bike shop tho... hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

How old is the bike you can generally get away without changing the sprockets at the same time.

That is a pretty good price for it considering labour is generaly bout €33 an hour anyway.

• Advertisement

One thing, that price is for the parts only :(

The bike is 3 years old.

Bugger...

€85 for parts + €35 for labour. (including vat)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Most places in dublin all charge 160 yoyo's so i wouldn't be too unhappy with that cost you have there. I presume thats for a good chain now.... as in X or O ring.
    To be honest, you shoulda just done it yourself, my NSR is due a chain and sprocket soon enough and i have said parts which i bought much cheaper than i was told they would cost me.
    All you need is a paddock stand (something to prop up the back end at all will do, even bricks), the chain, sprockets and split pin for the front sprocket.
    You own a cruiser d00d, you really should be learning how to maintain it, and keep it running nicely cos garages will **** you about.
    Things you can do without help or much knowledge.... chain and sprocket, brake disks, oil change, spark plug clean/change, air filter clean, etc.
    You should definetly know these by now.... for shame.... and you call yourself a biker!

Heh, i'm not too mechanically minded. I've no idea how to go about changing the chain and sprockets.

I'm able to do simple things like clean spark plugs and top up brake fluid and shíte :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I must agree with bugs on this; when it comes to motorcycles they need a lot more maintainance than cars, and it really does pay off to do it yourself.

At the end of the day all you'll need to pay for are whatever parts are neccesary; and you can also ensure they're good quality.

Get yourself a Haynes manual for your bike or similar and a few of the required tools and it's all fairly straightforward.

Just watch out for bastard brake fluid... it's an absolute whoore.

Advertisement