Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyway to see how much data I'm downloading?

Options
  • 22-05-2002 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Are there any free programs out there that can clock the amount of data you're downloading? I know you can look at the little symbol on the taskbar and it will show you how much you've dled in your current session but just curious if there's one that will keep how much I've dled overall so I don't have to keep writing it down. Just want to see how soon I'd bust the 3gig cap on dsl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think the cap only covers actual downloads and not data recieved i.e normal web browsing... So dont use the taskbar icon as its for all data recieved while connected.. Best way is to keep your downloads in a folder and check how much is in there from time to time.. other than that you can probably get some utility to do it.. Use a download manager.. it keeps a log of all downloads and the size, location etc.. so that would work! You may have to add up the size of each file at most!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

eh ?
    The cap ( if it is implemented ) will be measuring any data doing down the line at all. Any traffic.
    This includes HTTP, UDP (most online fps games), FTP, anything at all that goes down the line.

To get back on the topic though, a traffic meter is i think dmeter or maybe dumeter it's called. Sorry, cant remember the exact name.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

get Net Buddy... theres a thread in Technology about it if you want the full details..

Saruman.. how do Eircom differentiate between downloads and web browsing so? to browse the web you're downloading text and images sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

ta found the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Oops guess i was wrong.. i was told by someone who was testing it that it would only be downloads... as to how they could tell the difference.. i dont know but im sure they can monitor it in some way if they wanted.

That makes the cap even worse if its on all data... Damn them... if your in the area Esat cover try and get theirs.. cheaper and no cap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

DU Meter is a very nice proggy for metering dl's n ul's and time spent online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

There will be a cap yes but at the moment there is now way of telling how much you actually download........... I think there will be a web site developed that you can log on to and it will show you how much you have downloaded ...........and this will be only downloads only not info sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement