Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

country music

Options
  • 22-05-2002 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

anyone outthere into american country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Define what you mean! (I may answer "yes" or "urggh no!" dependin on your definition)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like alt.country (Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams, Lampchop, Witness etc.) but HATE the moaning american sh1t spewed out of Nashville...... (Dolly Parton et al.)

Something about that awful whining guitar sound heard on most country songs just chills me to the bone.....

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

My heart dive bombed to an Iris Dement song (Easy is gettin harder every day) the other night.

Johnny Cash is God and the Handsome Family are wonderful

But I dont really get the Ryan Adams infatuation.
    He's grand like, but thats all (in my opinion)
    He's not really country (new or otherwise) though, despite what Uncut etc say....

Originally posted by TmB
    I like alt.country (Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams, Lampchop, Witness etc.) but HATE the moaning american sh1t spewed out of Nashville...... (Dolly Parton et al.)

I think Dolly's underrated, she has a great voice and has written some fantastic songs (as well as some god-awful ones). Her last album was a return to her bluegrass roots and was pretty kickin'. And "Jolene" remains my favourite country song of all time (White Stripes and Sisters of Mercy versions also rock).

Aside from that, yay to all the artists mentioned above, also agree with JD's ambivalence towards Mr Adams. Nobody's mentioned Gram Parsons, John Prine or Emmylou Harris yet.

Originally posted by Lolo
    Aside from that, yay to all the artists mentioned above, also agree with JD's ambivalence towards Mr Adams. Nobody's mentioned Gram Parsons, John Prine or Emmylou Harris yet. [/B][/QUOTE]

I really like Emmylou's last LP, I don't really know the rest. The stuff she did with Gram was grand but to be honest I more prefer the idea of Gram Parsons than his actual recordings.

John Prine is a funny guy ( all I know his his Jesus the missing years stuff)

Is Mary Margaret O'Hara country?
    Her Miss America Lp is in my top 10 of all time...
    What the hell ever became of her?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson are deadly

Ah yes, Kris Kristofferson, Sunday Morning Coming Down, what a song..

The Byrds "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" is one of the classics.
    Their version of Dylan's "You Aint Going Nowhere" is one of my fave singalong songs ever.

"...strap yourself to a tree with roots, you ain't going nowhere.."

And Lee Hazlewood, more Tindersticks singing Cowboy songs than actual country, but still...

:D Lee is a godlike genius!!!
    I won best Nancy lokkalike at a Nancy and Lee night a few months ago.
    (I was the only Nancy lookalike in the competition, but shhhh, it sounds more impressive if you don't know that...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 racer20

the type of music i mean would be alt country. American country seems to be a thing of the past on the airwaves since the demise of cmt this side of the atlantic.look at internet radio,every second one is country.music choice does cater,but thats subscription.
    anyone remember Restless heart, album Big dreams in a small town?Also the following, fools gold,poco,orleans,outlaws etc.
    Any dan fogelberg fans out there?

Advertisement