Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom3 pics

Options
  • 22-05-2002 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Doom3 looks great but does it remind anyone of Resident Evil?

9.jpg
    10.jpg
    11.jpg
    12.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

If they are in game pics they are wonderful, but I doubt my Celeron would be able to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

the difference being that these screenshots are actual renders from the game engines and not just cute backgrounds like RE. they look pretty tame when they are still, i can just imagine the how the game is gonna feel in real time.

you can really feel the sense of evil and gore and dark nightmares will ensue when looking at the screenshots, which can only mean one thing, Doom III will officially be the first game sponsored by Hell(tm).

i was gonna complain about the size of the images in the post, but then once they are loaded, this looks like the most evil thread on boards.ie for quite some time. and please dont anyone use smileys in this thread for the fear of ruining the atmosphere of evil.

Dark Lord adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

smeg........ looks a lttle bit like i need a new computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Wow, yeah they are a bit large, but feck it, they're impressive.

amp: who reckons his gf2 will finally have to be replaced :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

wasnt their new engine originally demoed running on a geforce 3? (i could look at the video but i couldnt be arsed).. somehow i reckon everyone with a geforce3 will be needing an upgrade by the time this baby gets out.

hopefully it'll be **** dark and **** scary.. like the original doom, oh **** fireball throwing zombies.. RUNNNN, and the very first time you play quake (the second time wasnt).. goddamn shamblers.
    anyway that top thing looks damn scary.. i'd reckon it moves similar to the fiend in quake and if properly unlit would be excellent.. the others just look stupid imo... need to look less polished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Nice pics, no way in hell I'm going to be able to play that on my machine, and I'm not upgrading any time soon. Any idea when this is coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by adnans
    i was gonna complain about the size of the images in the post, but then once they are loaded, this looks like the most evil thread on boards.ie for quite some time. and please dont anyone use smileys in this thread for the fear of ruining the atmosphere of evil.
    Yeah, was worried about the size and was going to link to the smaller version but...if it annoys people, I figured the admins can always edit the post.

Adnas, you're right, it does looks evil and dark and it'll all be running in real time as opposed to the pre-rendered background used in Resident Evil. It just looked more like Residently Evil with the zombies and the colour they used than the old Doom. Not a bad thing mind you...I was just surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Wow, those are amazing. Especially the top pic, looks like it could be one scary ****in' game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

#MEAT# jumps around like a school boy..

this is going be sweet.with my gf4 it well run super SWEEET!!!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

wow. I do recall John Carmack saying it was being desigined for Geforce3... but I'm gonna start saving my poonies just in case.

very impresive. cant wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Looks too scary for me to play, so I won't be buying it!!
    Actually I will, but I'll need to spend a couple of grand on a new system.... damn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

those pics are very impressive. the first pic is my fav. the only way i will be able to play this is if i get a huge student loan and buy a new kick ass PC. or do some major upgrading :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well i think its s viseo card upgrade needed rather that a new cpu, unless you have a p2 or sometnhing....

gf2 by by gf3/4 lets go. Perhaps nvidia have john carmack in their pocket just to get us all to upgrade our gf2 cards,

about how much would a GF3 or GF4 cost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    well i think its s viseo card upgrade needed rather that a new cpu, unless you have a p2 or sometnhing....

gf2 by by gf3/4 lets go. Perhaps nvidia have john carmack in their pocket just to get us all to upgrade our gf2 cards,

ohhh u high fligher with a gf2, think about those of us still using a voodoo3 :( (iminent upgrade pending..gf4 ti 4200 here i come!!!....in a few weeks\months....)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

That is so so sweet. I heard when they demo'd it recently, no one believed it was the actual game/engine. They all kept saying it must be pre-rendered CG. Nope. Game really looks that good.
    I can't wait :)

That third pic, with the tubby guys. Ouch. Looks real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Incredible. So hard to just accept the fact that they are in game images even when I rationally believe it.

Bless Id, they can be relied upon to raise the bar each time to a place we didn't know it could go.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Demoed using a Radeon 8500 I believe, rather than an nvidia card.

Well, I say "demoed" - those shots have been photoshopped fairly heavily, and of course the video is too low-res to tell whether it's authentic. I don't doubt that this is what Carmack is aiming for in the final game, but right now this isn't what he's got.

My suspicion (backed up by a couple of developers I spoke to): he's got a really nice character/object renderer going. He's got a really nice world renderer going. Unfortunately, he hasn't got the two of them working *together* yet - so the characters in those scenes (and their shadows) were photoshopped on. It's REALLY obvious if you turn up the gamma on the first pic that the lighting on the world doesn't match the lighting on the characters, and the shadows are a mess...

It'll look nice (although not a vast leap over what's out there now) - more importantly is what it'll get other developers doing, really. If I see another Quake3 engine game I think I'm going to scream, basic PC FPS tech BADLY needs an update like this.

As for the game itself.... I give good odds that it'll be a bit rubbish, and nothing at all like the original Doom games. See those characters? What hope of being able to render 20 of them onscreen at once? Ho hum... Another FPS game where you trudge around for five minutes, find a monster who takes ages to kill, lather, rinse, repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Originally posted by Shinji

Well, I say "demoed" - those shots have been photoshopped fairly heavily, and of course the video is too low-res to tell whether it's authentic. I don't doubt that this is what Carmack is aiming for in the final game, but right now this isn't what he's got.

http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/doom3/doom_3_bts_big.zip.html

Very Hi Res video showing some of these screenshots in movement. Looks pretty real too me. 90mb though

here is some more doom 3 pictures. the quality isnt as good as the pictures on this thread and they are quite small. but if ya want a look just go to the site.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Demoed using a Radeon 8500 I believe, rather than an nvidia card.

My suspicion (backed up by a couple of developers I spoke to): he's got a really nice character/object renderer going. He's got a really nice world renderer going. Unfortunately, he hasn't got the two of them working *together* yet - so the characters in those scenes (and their shadows) were photoshopped on. It's REALLY obvious if you turn up the gamma on the first pic that the lighting on the world doesn't match the lighting on the characters, and the shadows are a mess...

To be fair, I have to agree with Shinji here, the pics are most likely doctored, and even if they aren't they're still not that impressive. The low-poly count is pathetic.

I recommend you guys have a look at the slashdot commentries on this, particularly the gfx-heads who've done some analysis on the image.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Carmack says on slashdot (a while ago) that it could run on gf2 but crapped up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

i hope it still contains that great mix of open and clostranphobic areas, and great set pecies/traps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

ss15.jpg

this is one of the art work in doom3. I can't wait to see this in 3d :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

What hope of being able to render 20 of them onscreen at once? Ho hum... Another FPS game where you trudge around for five minutes, find a monster who takes ages to kill, lather, rinse, repeat.
    Orignally posted on Gamers.com
    Show Daily: One of the most challenging aspects of Doom and Doom II was finding yourself cornered by a room full of terrifying beasts. This has been a hard feature to duplicate in resource-intensive full 3D games. Do you expect Doom III to get back to a higher level of the monsters we remember from the old days, and if so, how will the game engine manage to accomplish this?

John Carmack: Doom III is pushing the fear factor over the raw action. As you make the worlds more and more believable, you are forced to tone down the "superhero" aspects of the game. I still think that a good game can be built around "toon time" action, but that isn't what Doom III is going to be about. The monsters are going to be much more independently fearsome, rather than just acting as moving gun turrets.

more...
    SD: The Doom series also has a substantial multiplayer legacy behind it. What can we expect Doom III to add to that legacy?

JC: This has been one of the areas where I know we are going to get some negative feedback. Doom III will only have minimal multiplayer facilities when released, because we are concentrating all of our efforts on making it an outstanding single-player experience. We have our hands full just breaking in the new technology and creating our world, so there just aren't enough resources to go around for doing spectacular multiplayer. You will still be able to deathmatch, but don't expect anything revolutionary. We will certainly be doing follow-up titles that refocus on multiplayer. I strongly believe that it is better to do more games with a tighter focus, rather than trying to be all things to everyone in a single title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Look at the picture with 3 zombies in yellow/orange light.
    The blue light behind them should be lighting them up blue, and the yellow/orange light on them should be making the wall yellow slightly, since the light is clearly intense enough to reach the furthest monter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

i hear this is coming out for x-box
    that true??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I fail to understand the cynicism being shown here. What the hell does it take to make you guys happy? If these screenies are even an indicator of what the game is going to be like, if not a true representation, I for one can't wait to see it. Like Shinji, I'm sick to death of seeing Quake3-powered games. Half of you seem to be dismissing the game already, purely based on a couple of static screenshots that you yourselves claim to be doctored. Don't you have any faith in Carmack?

COME ON, PEOPLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

On a seperate note, I'm delighted to see a purely single-player oriented game being developed to the exclusion of multiplayer, rather than the developers' attention being split between the two to the detriment of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

doom3.jpg

im no expert on image doctoring but considering the quality of the original you wouldn't expect to see the kind of jpeg artifacts that would explain those 90degree turns in the image. me thinks there not what the finished game is gonna throw at us.

p.s. thats the left paw on the creature in the first pic with the gamma turned up as far as it goes in paint shop pro 7

Advertisement