Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermo paste needed if not overclocking?

• 11-07-2001 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

I have a asus a7v board and a t-bird 900mhz.
    Am putting it together now, not going to overclock it at the minute,
    Would it be ok if i dont put any thermopaste between the processor and the heatsink(dont worry havea fan :-)

toil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

Yea i have a nice big heatsink and a cooler master fan. It has the usual clip opn and everything.

So is it dangerous and stupid to not use any thermopaste?

Thing is i just dont have any at the minute and i want to turn the machine on! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

well lets but it this way ive never seen a machine without it, and i wouldnt like to risk a 1 gig for a pounds worth of paste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by toil:
    Yea i have a nice big heatsink and a cooler master fan. It has the usual clip opn and everything.

So is it dangerous and stupid to not use any thermopaste?

Thing is i just dont have any at the minute and i want to turn the machine on! :-)
    </font>

It should be safe enough, assuming you're not overclocking it. The danger is you'll turn it on and keep putting off getting paste. Get the paste! smile.gif

Turn it on. Marvel at it. Want to use it. Turn it off. Take the power supply out so you won't just flick it on again. Get paste. Enjoy it without worrying.

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

But where would one find this stuff locally? as in walk intoa shop and pick it up off the shelf?
    I've asked this questiona few times and no-one says anything afterwards....so, please, stop thsi vicious cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Without thermal paste, you will be lucky if the chip doesn't fry. If the heatsink is just bare metal, with no sticky thermal pad on it, the chip will not make proper contact with the heatsink, and will run at stupidly high temperature, giving you instability, and probably a hole in your wallet. So, thermal paste is not just for overclocking. You need it, so your cpu will run at a safe temperature. Remember the tbird has no thermal cutout feature, if it gets too hot it will fry, simple as that. Don't run the machine without getting some thermal paste. Maplin and Peats have it in dublin.

• Advertisement

sell all depends are you goign to be removing the heat sink anytime soon,

artic silver 2 is the best paste you can buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

sorry?
    what do you mean?
    I want to know will it be ok if i put it together and run it at 900(as in dont overclock it) and dont have any thermopaste on the processor....as in will it be cool enough with the heatsoink sitting on top of it with out any thermopaste between them?

thanks

toil

o sorry, no you should but something between them, like the standard thermo pad, i dotn really know what would happen if you just placed it there, without bolts in wouldnt even stay on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Picked up a 1gig last week. It's got a nice big f|_|ckoff heatsink and fan, as well as paste and it's still reasonably hot. You're best off with the paste if possible...

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

Advertisement