Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haunted House

• 22-05-2002 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭

So 2 episodes down, whats the verdict ??

Watching it last night, I groaned at how amateur-ish it all seemed. Crap makeup, crap actors....

But after tonight, I'm hooked. Its interesting to watch peoples' reactions to confronting their fears (and pretty entertaining too!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

i think it's funny more than anything... screaming girls and non poisonous snakes.... Why is that Bernard guy of blind date fame on the show....he annoys the **** outa me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Blind Date infamy, more like....

He's a bit of a plonker, alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

i think all of them should win a suzuki for having to wear those 'gammy' blue jumpers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Kim Tae-Woo

Very Funny to watch their faces while forced sleep in a bed of maggots and worms.

I think it's the noises and lack of sleep that will get to them in the end. I hope they use Dobermans or Pitbulls next.

A form of torture not been able to get a nights rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

first time seeing it tonight and i initially thought it would be good when i heard them going on about psyc profiles during the saeance bit (was only half listening, too ingrossed in eating pizza) but eventually came to the conclusion that the criteria for getting in was mainly to find a bunch of girls who were afraid of creepy-crawlies, non poisionous snakes and trained rats and mix in a couple of blokes who thought they were hard. :rolleyes:

rubish.

the stuff they have to do in Fear Factor with the rats and tarantuals alone puts it to shame.

(imo :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Watched it both nights, mainly by chance, the second episode was a vast improvement.

It has a lot of things going for it:
    dividing the contestants using 'collaborators'
    use of sleep deprivation
    use of anticipation - hieghtening tension
    generally good cast and props

but this is all let down by the poor voiceover, and the really appalling direction. For example ladst night Dominic attacked Bernard for collaborating, which he wasn't, but what had driven Dominic to do that? It was the first we'd ever seen of him. In fact most of the people seem to get5 mins of view time and are then out. The other really dodge bit is the'foam' room where sheer luck dictatres whether you're in or out.

I'd have to say fear factor is a better prog (shame about the presenter) but by far the best of late was the Experiment on BBC2, which really did start to go bad.

But the one thing I've learnt is that I watch far to much TV.

Yeah, the foam room was very unfair. Its like the producers said "we need to get rid of 5 people before the end of the day - keep throwing people in the foam room until 5 people pick up eviction letters".

One other thing I found odd was that there was rarely suspense for the viewer. Often, the voiceover would say something like "Mary was evicted", THEN proceed to show us how she left (rather than just show her going through the ordeal, and letting us find out for ourselves if she made it or not).

I suppose its all down to the format and editing. They have to show so much in so few shows, so there is little continuity or build-up of suspense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

It's watchable enough, the only problem i have with it is the following:

Why did they tell the producers their fears?.........bit silly...my greatest fear is "strippers and free beer"...

The hypnotist....."i'm not afraid of anything, but if you hypnotise me and tell me i'm afraid of it, i will then be afraid of it"

One of my biggest fears would be getting hurt, knowing that none of the snakes or rats etc are dangerous just takes the whole edge off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The editing seemed pretty bad alright. I was expecting to see people getting scared, the build up. Instead it was formatted more like an ad for the show.

As in, show a bit of this woman being scared, then skip to her afterwards saying it was horrible. Oh... really... looked alright to me. Coupla spiders and rats. Other than that? Couple bad actors shouting at the people in the house.

I was expecting something like this, but hoping for a little more. Probably won't watch it again, it was generally put together very badly (very sloppy).

Fear Factor is definitely better. Shows the people gettign worked up, scared, telling themselves they're not going to do it, they're going to do it. You end up hoping one of them will win. Haunted House? No. It's like Big Brother but with less lights.

They say throughout the show that the people added in later have less of an advantage, as the "audience" aren't with them as long and don't sympathize with the new kids. Thing is, you don't feel that way about the people there from the start, you hardly get to see them. I personally can't remember who's who, and don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

I've seen the first 2 episodes and the 3rd is half way through. I have to say that so far this one is the best by far.You can see that people are starting to go crazy. They all just started going mad after yer man the collaborator did his little stunt at the table where they were all sitting. It's really interesting to see how they react to sleep depravation, general abuse and the obvious emotional stress that they are going through. And the other bloke "Don't touch me." "Get yer bleeding hands off me"

Is it true that one of the contestants had to get counselling after they came out?
    And what was with that bit in the second episode where this thing came in and puked on someone and hit them a couple of times? Messed up.

• Advertisement

First half was brilliant... then NOTHING !! For f**k sake !!!

Everyone was ready to mutiny and leave together, it was excellent TV .... then

... Ad-break ...

... and part 2 started like the whole incident never happened !!

Grrrrrrrrr............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

If it is good, unfortunately I am missing, due to living in England :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

And the other bloke "Don't touch me." "Get yer bleeding hands off me"

Wasn't that one of the actors they put in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Now that it's over they expect us to dial a 1550 empty your wallet number to chose a winner.

Who cares, we didn't see enough about any ccontestant to make a judgment, except Bernard, and it's already been pointed out that he's a tosser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Who cares, we didn't see enough about any contestant to make a judgment

i agree. three shows isnt long enough to be able to vote for your favourite contestant...

i watched the first episode and i taught it was ok nothing special. missed the second episode. but last night i taught was very good. the two actors played their part very well. the other contestants looked extreamly freaked out...

i dont think a show like that would go down very well in america. the company that created 'haunted house' would just get sued from the american contestants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Lei Xiejiang

Not exactly quality, but the show is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I missed the first 2 and a 1/2 episodes. Will it be repeated anytime soon?
    The best bit was the orange haired guy from donegal that was on blind date, remember when the guy started crying"i demand that man get medical attention now". Classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Advertisement