Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Problem

• 10-07-2001 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Damn, had to look up my password to post. lol.

Like what he said.

Xeno

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Draco, I have the same monitor as yourself and experienced the same problems before, it turned out that the power cable connecting to the rear of the monitor was a bit dodgy, it would kinda fall out a bit, this also caused a high pitched hissing sound aswell, don't know if you're getting this though.
    I eventually got the cable to stay in the socket, but I would recommend having a second look at your refresh rate, set it to optimal and see what's happening. Another thing, I'm just guessing here, but maybe it's your video card ? Can anyone else with some skillz inform him about this end of it ?
    Best of luck.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

In the last week or so my monitor has been acting up. Every so often (about once every 5 minutes) it makes a thunk sound and the screen flickers. I've tried changing the refresh rate to a lower setting, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Any ideas? It's a Gateway EV700 monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sounds like it's auto degaussing. But I could be wrong.

If it is, it certainly shouldn't be doing it every 5 minutes (As that f's up your monitor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xenophobic

Sounds like it's degaussing, a technique to remove magnetic "charge" from the aperture grille, which can cause distortion. It's usually a manual process but *maybe* your monitor has automatic detection (EXTREMELY UNLIKELY IMHO). If you have any unshielded magnetic equipment nearby try removing it. Else get a professional TV rep guy to have a look over it.

Xeno

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

It was the refresh rate after all. I set it to the lowest it could go and lo and behold it's okay now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement