Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System questions??

• 10-07-2001 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Ok just a few questions here..

How do i tell what kind of RAM i have installed on my pc e.g DDR SIMM RIMM blah blah .. u know

And also I have a P3 500 and I am lopoking to upgrade to a AMD Athlon 1.4chz..

Now first is that a good upgrade for a gamer.. or is there better for a price like that.. and also will i need to get a new mother board to install that.. and if so what kind of one??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

PC100 SDRAM DIMMs is what you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

How did ya know that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

so would this be right??

Price Price VAT
    256Mb SDRAM 100MHz PC-100 28.00 32.90

it has somthing here as well somthing about pin 168.. but DIMM is only 168 so thats ok ..

now if I got that .. do i just slot that into 1 of my 2 spare RAM slots on my mother bord??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Kali is psychic... didn't you know?

And yes; it's a simple matter to slot the RAM into the motherboard; generally there's absolutely no setting up to be done as regards your hardware or BIOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

DIMMs can be 172 pin aswell, but those are ECC and are aimed at servers/workstations, so 168 is the one you need.

Are you sure you want to buy new ram now when DDR-Sdram is available for newer Athlon motherboards? If so then get PC-133 SD-Ram at least, it'll work fine on your existing rig and give you the option of using the 133 FSB on your Athlon system (probably have to dump your existing Ram though).

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 11-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Zee Dude

Adren, if you are upgrading now thenyou should check ou this off at http://www.todayonly.co.uk

Nice price for a 1.4ghz Athlon+ motherboard+256PC2100DDR Ram and a heatsink as well.

Definitely go for the DDR now as SDRAM is on its last legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You will also need a new 300 watt power supply for that, and probably a new case if you currently have a dell machine.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How did ya know that??</font>

because there were no 133Mhz Pentium III-500s (500EBs) and unless its a Xeon or a DDR platform (which its not) its gonna be running bog standard PC100 ram as mentioned smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Is that a good upgrade for a gamer?</font>
    To an athlon 1.4? Yes it is, but as already said in the lsat two posts there, its not really an upgrade but a throw this one out and get a new one job, all you will be keeping is your extras (monitor/soundcard and maybe a gfx card if its decent enough).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I see you have done a couple of upgrades there then gerry gateway are just as bad for putting leds power switches ect ect onto one block that fits only there mb.Heres one for you gerry have you come accross this before im doing a shuttle mb with a 866 p3 my problem is that everyting works fine but if i restart or even if i shut down when i come to go back into windows it wont i have to hit the reset button for it to fire up ok i think it may have something to do with an easy on option the board has ie you can configure it to come on with hot keys or mouse presses ive tried every thing to disable these but it will not have it.Please dont make me go away and read the manual from front to back for some obscure reference to this crap smile.gif

Stone
    ps ive all the wires ie powsw hhdled reset ect ect been over it 50 times still no joy its not a biggy its just fricking anoying i havent tracked it down.
    pps id go the AMD route get ye a socket A board with ddr slots a 1.4 and make the most of AMDs recent price bustin madness.Just a thought but if they are banging out there top of the range cpuS SO CHEAP it makes you wonder whats arround the corner coz i dont beleive the stupidly low prices are just for outdoing intel i could be wrong but ive a feeling AMD has something nasty in store for those that bought there latested chip and something nice for those that still have money in the bank for there next suprise

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 12-07-2001).]

Stone.. ye might be better starting a new topic for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

yeah stone, but at least new motherboards normally fit into gateways. I put a new board into a dell machine a while back, and it was a nightmare. The standoffs were not in the standard atx position, I had to break part of the motherboard tray to make it fit. The power supply was wired differently, when I put a new power supply in, the case wouldn't close. The led's are a minor inconvenience, I just couldn't find a wiring diagram for dells front panel connector anywhere. With enough perseverance, it would be possible to wire it up properly.

Gateway at least seem to use proper atx mountings and power supplies.

As for the shuttle board, well er I haven't used that board, and am not familiar with its particular quirks. I don't think its to do with keyboard or mouse power on. But I would suggest a bios update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stonemason:
    I see you have done a couple of upgrades there then gerry gateway are just as bad for putting leds power switches ect ect onto one block that fits only there mb.Heres one for you gerry have you come accross this before im doing a shuttle mb with a 866 p3 my problem is that everyting works fine but if i restart or even if i shut down when i come to go back into windows it wont i have to hit the reset button for it to fire up ok i think it may have something to do with an easy on option the board has ie you can configure it to come on with hot keys or mouse presses ive tried every thing to disable these but it will not have it.Please dont make me go away and read the manual from front to back for some obscure reference to this crap smile.gif</font>
    Stone, please remember to write intelligable sentences - preferably ones with less than 103 words. It aids in understanding. There are almost certainly several resources relating to grammar somewhere on the net, where you can learn the wonders of clauses, structure and punctuation.
    ps ive all the wires ie powsw hhdled reset ect ect been over it 50 times still no joy its not a biggy its just fricking anoying i havent tracked it down.</font>
    Class.
    pps id go the AMD route get ye a socket A board with ddr slots a 1.4 and make the most of AMDs recent price bustin madness.Just a thought but if they are banging out there top of the range cpuS SO CHEAP it makes you wonder whats arround the corner coz i dont beleive the stupidly low prices are just for outdoing intel i could be wrong but ive a feeling AMD has something nasty in store for those that bought there latested chip and something nice for those that still have money in the bank for there next suprise</font>
    Well, there is the Palamino, but perfomance increases between that and the Thunderbird (in AMD's clock speed to clock speed tests) are at most 15%. That said, it's hardly their "next surprise", as it's been mentioned in their roadmaps for quite some time; and if you've read up on pre-launch you'd have seen mention of the increase in data prefetch unit performance.

But a 1.4GHz TBird is more than enough, and the board *should* be able to support the Palamino (the Abit KG7-RAID and Abit KT7A-RAID both do)... so at most you'll have to slap in a new chip. DDR-ram is definitely the way to go; preferably registered (though as I'm not a genius when it comes to DDR this shouldn't be taken as gospel)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Yea soz Kali your right it was abit ott my only defence was i was rat arsed smile.gifapologys to you Adren.Ill start a new topic this minute.

Stone biggrin.gif

Advertisement