Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

somthn somone told me about win xp

• 23-05-2002 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

i was told yesterday that the home version of xp only supported 5 computers on a network ?? is it true ?

how is xp running for everyone ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Dont know about the 5 client issue but....

XP is dirt.... any machine its been on there have been problems.... same goes for the latest set of P4's......

Win 2k/Linux and AMD def the way to go!!

sombody here summed XP up saying

"XP works fine... as long as you dont expect it to work with anything else....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hi,

We have a W2k Server running a network of 8 XP pro machines without a single issue. It has been rock solid, extremely stable, and not a single crash/blue screen in the last 8-9 months.

We'd recommend it :)

Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by steve-hosting36

We have a W2k Server running a network of 8 XP pro machines without a single issue.

afaik xp pro will support as many computers as possible

But i`ve also heard that the home version only supports small number of machines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

XP home allows a maximum of 10 connections to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I've 4 machines all running XP Pro here anyway and not a single problem. Have to bring my network up to 100Mbit but I cant exactly fault XP for having a slow network :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I've ran XP Pro at a lan and it ran perfectly with 20 odd pc's.
    Dunno about the home version but i've had very little trouble with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    Hi,

We have a W2k Server running a network of 8 XP pro machines without a single issue. It has been rock solid, extremely stable, and not a single crash/blue screen in the last 8-9 months.

We'd recommend it :)

Steve

i did say that its win xp not 2k

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gorthaur

Win XP like Win2k will only allow 10 connections.However that not to say you can install a copy on 10machines The "Beast of Redmond" wants a you to buy a copy for each PC you have.
    They also wanted this with 95/98/me/2k but they're being a bit more draconian about it this time. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gorthaur

Sorry ,left out that it doesn't support a LOT of"legacy" (older than 18 months) stuff and therefore doesn't have drivers.
    They are getting more drivers out there BUT I know several people who have been stuck with no scanner/printer etc because it would support them.

MS'sview is that it'snot their Job and thesuppliersviewis MS upgraded the OS and broke the drivers, we'llfix 'em when we get a chance (or whenever).:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

AFAIK, the issue is not the number of pcs in the network, but the number of pcs using (eg) PC1 as a server. E.g., IIS will only allow 10 connections from other pcs on XP pro (and win2k pro), but it doesn't affect communication to other pcs, or connections initiated by your pc. I've used XP Home and Pro in networks of over 40 pcs with no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by Rew
    same goes for the latest set of P4's......
    Shut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by JustHalf
    Shut up.

give it a rest. every post i've seen you make in the last couple of months has been a snotty, sarky remark.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

running xp on sony vaio laptop which is meant for win98 only

after getting drivers going properlly and some little adjustments to make it run smooth (despite slugging along with 128ram, arg) it's fine really

however, when at a lan in manchester in january i couldnt get anyone to see my hard drives or anything. i could access them fine but they couldnt access mine.

after getting a professional IT type person to look at it (who was at the lan) he still couldnt solve it.

despite that, buying new pc in 3 weeks and it will be win2kadvanced server for me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, I've had a few problems sharing my Win2k (FAT32 formatted - and shared for everyone with and without full access) drive. Sharing the win98 (FAT32 again) was no hassle.

Last lan i was at no one had trouble getting stuff off me really apart from Eye but thats cause he had a dodgey network cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

a bit OT bit does anyone else find it hilarious that all m$'s activation thing did is force pirates to copy pro edition instaed of home :)

Thought you have to activate pro aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Pro has to be activated as well. The main version floating around on the web (apart from the "6in1" and "8in1" CDs) is the "devilsown" corporate no-activation version of Pro.

Yeah i thought so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Net access probs with XP/2k generally come down to a few things (presuming you can ping between the pcs)

Asked for a password?
    Setup a dummy acount for sharing only. At our lan parties now we all setup a normal user SHARE, pass = SHARE on each machine and use that when mapping. This will not give you access to root shares (eg. c$, you need admin rights on the share account for that and that relies on how much you trust the other folks you're with...). If you've changed your NTFS rights to prohibit most users make sure this account at least has access to the share locations.

Cant see drives or access them at all from one machine to yours, but you can the other way?
    By default XP home disables remote access, it won't tell you this until you try to create new shares on your PC (Which you wouldnt notice if you were in the habit of using Root-shares, as I think most folks do after they get used to it). Re-Enable it on your own machine.

I use Xp on my laptop and 2k on the desktop. While I dont see a need to upgrade the 2k machine, Xp with all the extra visual crap turned off has been as stable/high performance as 2k. And the boot speed is a nice plus.
    As for problems with drivers, well thats to be expected with any new OS. If manufacturers were doing WDM drivers (as they should have been since Win98) then there shouldnt be any issues (and they offer much better performance than standard driver models). Also it is often possible to use an NT driver if you disable Driver-Signing, - Win2k drivers again should be compatible with Xp (And vice versa, though not all actually are I know).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by Verb
    give it a rest. every post i've seen you make in the last couple of months has been a snotty, sarky remark.
    I don't think it has, but I'll have a look at my post history.

And the comment I was replying to is just plain stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

pah locking this thread.. yet more ****ing pointless replies.
    btw well done Creed on giving it some respectability... elexes your answers in there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement