Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange email goings-on...

• 23-05-2002 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Lads, feel free to move this, but I actually couldn't decide where to stick this.......

OK, last week, in work, I received an email not meant for me. No strange content of anything. Our work system is based on Lotus Notes (ugh!), so writing an email, when you stick in the 'to' address, it'll automatically do a search based on the company address book, and stick in the closest, or exact match. For example, if I wanted to email a Joe Smith, his Lotus Notes address would be 'Joe Smith/Vodafone'. If I typed this in, it would remove the '/Vodafone' part, and if I typed in his internet style address, e.g. joe.smith@vodafone.ie, it would also change this into just 'Joe Smith' in the To: box. OK, got that clear.....

Now the person this email was destined for had a *slightly* similar name to mine (albeit female), but not enough to confuse the crappy notes autoaddresser. I ignored it and forwarded it on. Same thing happened again, a week later, although I couldn't find out who it should have gone to. I thought about emailing tech support and advising them of some problem with the address database, but feck, they get paid for things like that, why should I? :p

Then today on my college address, I get an email from none other than FM104's Tony Dixon, advising me to send him on a demo CD. On inspecting the previous text (he had done a 'reply with history'), it seems that the email he was replying to did originate from the UCD mail server, but whoever had sent it (some girl called Regina) had probably managed to stick in the wrong address in her mail client - UCD addresses are nos. and letters and very easy to get wrong. Then it occured to me - if she had the wrong address in her mail client, how come I've never received anything like this before? She proclaimed to have mailed him 'hundreds of times', so I assume she has mailed other people from that client too.......

Just seems very strange to receive 3 wrong emails in 2 weeks, having never, ever received someone else's mail before. BTW, the UCD mail server allows external connections, but you can only email internal addresses (@student.ucd.ie, @ucd.ie) when connected externally, so it can't have been someone relaying some crap.

Ideas? Observations? :)

Advertisement