Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USSA

Options
  • 23-05-2002 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

COMRADES!

I'm heading to the USSA (The United Soviet States of America) in about a week (exactly a week actually) and i need to know all there is to know about California and the customs of it's strange peoples there. Basically it's my first time in Mother America and I'm there for 2 months (missing visiting CTYI <cries>) and I must know what to do and not to do.

I'll be around Sacramento and anyone who will be there and is nice and I vaguely know (including alaskagirl) is free to arrange to meet up with me (please do... i'm all alone). But yes... most important thing is me knowing what's acceptable behaviour over there and not cause i A). Wanna get laid many times over; B). Wanna have fun; C). Don't want to disappoint my aunt and uncle who i'm staying with; and D). ... I'm sure there are more things... Nih.

So yes! HELP ME! PLEASE!

<This message was brought to you by your "Friendly Neighbourhood Communist Party". In no way affiliated with the capatalist pig-dog "Friendly Neighbourhood Spiderman">

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

pretty much everything is acceptable in the USA.i havent much experience in irish cultural differences, but california in general is probably the most tolerant place in the world. it all depends on where you are going. people will probably be nice to you because you have an irish accent! good luck and if you get in trouble (or if you want to talk) call me!
    dial (1)-(907)-336-2527

go ahead! do it! i will be home until the day before session 1 starts! and then for a week after it ends. then im going to vancouver island, canada. and then the next week im going to seattle area or thereabouts. for a week! and then im going to maine for the month of august.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Moni

I would have to say that American people will like you just cause you're Irish, even if you do something normally considered unacceptable. American people have this fascination with Irish-ness. Everyone here loves anyone with an accent.

Have fun on your trip, too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

exactly. they'll like you because youre Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

ARGH! OK... I'm the shy "i sit in the corner" guy. I'm already going to two parties (the 1st and 2nd of june). I KNOW NOBODY THERE! DO YOU KNOW HOW FREAKED I'M GOING TO BE!?

So... advise quickly! what's like cool, and how do i not end up coming across as a complete social retard (because in the absense of a friend i am)? HELP ME!

<panics>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by lordsippa

So... advise quickly! what's like cool, and how do i not end up coming across as a complete social retard (because in the absense of a friend i am)?

never forget life's biggest irony: the only way to be cool is to not care if you'r cool or not.

The second you stop caring what people think of you is the second people respect you.

And on a personal note - you don't need to worry, everyone will love you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

But... but... I MUST WORRY! otherwise i'll turn into a monkey in a jumpsuit! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?!

<ahem>... no. it's not really wanting to be "cool" <brr> but more... not wanting to spend two months friendless and a bigger outcast than i really am. I want to have fun and if having fun requires me to be "sociable" <brr> then i'm willing to do it.

I just don't know how.

Advertisement