Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Prob

• 23-05-2002 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Ok, let me start by saying that I was using a 19" gateway EV900 all along, up till about a week ago when it decided to stop working. It gave a perfectly clear and easy to read display but alas not anymore.

So anyway I started using a 17" gateway EV700 I have hanging around home. I'm using the same graphics card, same drivers & same OS (Win XP Pro) as I was using on the 19" but now theres a kind of shadowing on the screen which is most noticable around text. Its the kinda thing that stops me from using the computer for too long cos it wrecks my eyes. I've tried all the settings on the monitor, tried different resolutions, colour depths - nothing seems to clear it up. ohh and I tried reinstalling the graphics drivers.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Cheap VGA cables can cause this problem. Beware of the white skinny cables without ferrite clamp - I returned two of these for exactly this fault. Supplier finally caved in and gave me a more expensive fat black cable with clamp, which works fine on my monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Basically the Ev700 is a pile of kack. When I worked in the Tech lab at Gateway we tried for many months to get it stopped (Finally getting that done when they were ready to ship the next model, surprise surprise). It was especially bad with one particular video card, cant remember which model but it was the first they shipped with hardware MPEG2 acceleration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by _CreeD_
    Basically the Ev700 is a pile of kack.

Indeed it is.. This is my 8th EV700 - all its earlier brothers having suffered the exact same fate. "Its a fault in the production" said a certain gateway tech everytime I rang up for a replacement.

At the moment my hopes rest on the crowd that I brought my EV900 to (to be repaired). They reckon they could fix it no hassle except Gateway wont give them the wiring diagrams (or some circutry related nonsense) for the monitors so I'm up the creek without a paddle.. Better start shopping for a new monitor :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm using a 15" EV500. Is it a pile of cack also? I've had it over 2 years now.

/worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 obi-1

they are not great, to my experiance i have a ev500 here on my server and she is dieing a slow death - its gonta explode one of these days :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement