Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard Probs

• 11-07-2001 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Ok,
    I got meself a 2nd hand GigaByte GA-6BXDS.
    I plugged in power, cpu and graphics card.
    Nothing happens.

I set a jumper so as the board autmatically powers on. The fan of the PSU then starts going so power is there at least.

I don't have a cpu fan plugged in. Would this be a possible reason for nothing happening ? There is no beeping, nothing on the screen.. no nothing.

Any ideas would be great !

Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Processor not working would be my first guess. Or ram.

Look up the beep codes for the board and see what it means when it doesn't do a thing. smile.gif

*shrug*

Fat lot of use I am smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

What cpu's are you using? If they are coppermines, the board may previously have been used with katmai's, and so possibly the bios might need to be updated to recognise coppermines. I know that board will run with coppermines though. The p3's also have to be the same stepping. If you have only one in it make sure it is in the first cpu slot. Also try different ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ok thanks for that. I don't know exactly what type the processor is. A PIII 450 is all I know, around 2 years old now.

The chip actually has to go into the second slot according to the manual. I've set the jumper to reset the machine.. but I don't actually see one to reset the bios.

Any ideas as per the fan ? Will i bother go buy one ?

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Afaik some mobo's won't post until theres a fan attached. My abitkt7a has this feature but I remember seeing that it was removed in a later bios revision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

that feature was introduced with the kt7 canaboid, verb's board is much older than that. Since you are using an old katmai chip, you won't need a bios update. So I don't really know what the problem is, although you should have tested the board before buying it? If you actually get the machine working, you will need a cpu fan, unless there is a huge heatsink on the cpu, ala gateway or dell, but you will still need airflow over that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Read the manuals for that motherboard

Quick Setup Guide

Main section (jumpers etc)

Bios Instructions

I hope that helps

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

heheh thanks renton, I ain't thick though, I read those before i even got the board. And as i say in a post above the manual says to use the 2nd cpu slot. But anywa.. that's besides the point.

I rearranged the RAM and the machine works !!! Zang !

Gav

Advertisement