Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what happened to phantasm?

Options
  • 24-05-2002 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

i mean, i was there last night after i hadn't been there for quite a while and i was pretty shocked. alright, so it was fun, and thanks mr dj for it's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) but do i really have to go out to hear a mix of alternative classics, mainstream alternative and a sounds direct compilation? largely i might as well have stayed at home, saved myself the 6.50, and practiced some guitar along with the same music from my stereo. if the point of phantom is to showcase exciting NEW talent, and particularly new irish talent last night was as counterproductive as it comes. comments appreciated!

:-)

oneArpeggiopete:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

i don't think the point of phantasm is to showcase new original acts/songs or whatever. to be honest i could never see any difference in the songs played at phantastm and the ones played at any other of the nights in whelan's. it is fun, though, but i can only stand going there every month or two. things you can do to make it slightly more interesting (apart from getting completely drunk) would be the traditional 'guess the next song game' or try asking the dj to play a song NOT on the tape (he'll say he's either left it at home or he'll go look for it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sultan of Ping

repetitiveness is the whole point of whelans on a thursday night,

its like a comfort blanket, its stubborn consistancey provides a sense of security.

I was there last night, for the first time in around a year and a half and the set was pretty much the exact same as the last time.

in fact i was under the impression that they played a mix tape, the presence of a DJ is negligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

hum.... i seem to remember it to be a lot more varied and daring. i just feel relying on safe stuff like last night is quite a bit below the phantom philosophy...

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

I've been there 3 time
    by accident just after gigs and the like,
    you know i was just to drunk to go home.

Well I'm a guy
    and to be honest all 3 times i have been there
    the ratio of men to women has been 12:1,
    serriously i counted!
    Its great if your a women but dancing in a group of guys after one half-good-looking chick (after 9 pints of Grolsh),
    I just dont see the point.

Yeah the music is great and all
    but i wouldnt go to phantasm just for that.

I know i sound really narky but seriously Phantom rocks.

a friend of mine miss-took phantasm for a gay club!!

It is a good ending to a gig though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Frenzy

the ratio of men to women has been 12:1,

better get me down to phantasm then!
    . i never went to the beanery, i went to the temple bar music centre once (was it there? i cant remember...the place it was on after the beanery) i think. or ws that friends of mine? i cant even remember. I know i went to the first phantom fm farewell thing, and that was good. the brilliant trees played one night with jove, and i saw that, even though i left after jove, and went to a nightclub My problem is, i like nights out with my mates, but my mates arent into the msuic phanotm plays, so i'll go somehwere dancey to keep the peace, and i enjoy that kind of music too. its hard to dance to phantom music though i find. i nearly died the first time i went to fibers and my friends were all up dancing and i had to go with them. but the kind of music played is that bit slower. Its like being in a nightclub, and then they play blur, or oasis, or stereophonics, and the whole crowd looks so funny trying to dance to it, with the change of tempo (and the alcohol).

i kind of go for the comfort blanket theory too, its is nice to hear music thta makes u bit nostalgic. but as i dont go every week, i cant say how annoying it gets! im sure if i went to phantasm, i'd have a great night though.

• Advertisement

the beanery was great, but they didn't sell much alcohol (because it was illegal) so everyone had to bring their own. it was fun. and although i may be looking through rose-tinted glasses, the music seemed so much better. i tend to value whelan's more when i've been out constantly with those friends of mine who hate my taste in music. i just wish there were some more alternatives. i know the shelter is supposed to be great, but it's only on once a month (as far as i know) and while that jedi knight in doyles played forking amazing music, the atmosphere and venue sucked. speaking of jedi night, anyone know where they've relocated to? and on what night? bobafett's been very quiet on this board of late ...

(ps - dancing to indie music is helped by dangerous quantities of alcohol. it also helps if everyone *else* is drunk too, so that people don't just sit on the stage and laugh at you. i won't dance AT ALL no matter how much i love a song, until i'm sufficiently drunk enough - not that that's much of an excuse anyway - also, the dancing at dance orientated nightclubs is usually just as funny and cringe-worthy)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i love phantasm...only go bout once a month but i love it

anyhow... on the whole 12:1 ratio fellas to girls at least you know if you pull you might have something to talk about afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭beretta

i was at phantasm this week also, and the previous three or four weeks before that, and it is a bit annoying to know the setlist by heart. and to know that if you ask for a pixies song, "here comes your man" is bound to be played. and i don't mean to sound like a bitch, but sinister pete is one arrogant eejit when he's dj-ing. and sometimes when he isn't.

ack, ranting ranting...

i won't be going to phantasm next thursday, think i'll buy some new cds and listen to them instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tom E Brown

Hi All,

As one of the DJ's at phantasm Ill try and answer a few questions:

1. We try not to play a trainspoters set because after 3 years of live DJing I can honestly say the majority of people dont want to hear it! it is nice to play a realy alternative set once in a while, but when I do most people come up and say "stop playing this ****, and put on the stone roses...". We've never said Phantasm was about showcasing new music...If thats what your after there are a number of alternative clubs that might be more like what your looking for.

2. yes we play a lot of music thats the same from week to week becuase people come up and request it. EG The pixies (either debaser, here comes your man, or gigantic) - Violent fems (blister in the sun) I could go on and on...Thats what most people want to hear, and what people come to Phantasm for.

3. the point to the club is to hear a whole load of realy popular alternative tunes and get excedingly drunk with your mates. Its all we want the club to be about! and with 3 DJs taking a turn each week the music is different.

Atlanta Suburbs I dont want to be rude but if you dont like our club please dont come down to it. Id hate for you to be upset with our choice of music, but more importantly, I dont want you bringing everybody else down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

You should all just go to screamadelica instead, better music, more women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

Originally posted by Tom E Brown

Atlanta Suburbs I dont want to be rude but if you dont like our club please dont come down to it. Id hate for you to be upset with our choice of music, but more importantly, I dont want you bringing everybody else down.

huh?

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Yeah I find Screamadelica to be good fun as well. Last time I was there they played RATM, and then Springsteen. Now thats alternative. I find the idea of Phantasm a good one, but why was it ever moved from TBMC in the first place. I'll probably go along some night, knowing that the music will be decent, the security blanket etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

never been impressed with screamadelica -
    the dj sets are too hit and miss,
    rocket from the crypt to madonna to mbv to kenny rogers,

far better atmosphere in whelans and while the repetitive
    set list on a fri or sat is a problem, i've always been impressed
    with the slightly more varied thursday set.
    but it's a pity you say you feel the need to stick to a
    certain set to pull the crowds on.

the best set i ever heard was a thursday last novem or december.
    same sound but completly new songs.....
    sl2 - on a ragga tip
    prodigy
    chemical brothers
    then a little soul session
    blasts into nirvana's territorial pissings
    at the drive in - one armed scissors
    pixies alec eifil, holiday
    pavement shady lane
    deus instant street
    my bloody valentine soon
    and the odd tune i didn't know

it was class, the odd tune i didn't know but respect was due.

and i too would like to hear what the ex-Doyles DJs are up to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Yeah that sounds like a class set alright, if I though Phantasm would have that mix I could see myself going quite a bit
    I don't go to Screamadelica regularly or anything, but the few times I've been there I liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Just to add my 2 cent;
    I go to Phantasm all the time, and have been doing so for a few years now, and I imagine I will continue to do so. I don't have a major problem with the predictability of the music, but it would be great if Gauge Away or Holiday Song was played instead of Debaser, once in a while. Here is my solution to the problem: As you may have noticed, the only Pearl Jam songs they ever play are either off Ten or Verses. Last time I was there, I lent Sinister Pete my copy of Yield (I carry my CDs in a case for my Discman), and he was more than happy to play Do the Evolution. Needless to mention, I disagree with the view that he is an eejit, but he has been nice to me since Valentines Day, but that is another story....

i can't remember exactly why they said they moved from whelan's, but i know the bouncers were given as a bonus in the move from TBMC, because as we all know the bouncers at the TBMC are complete arseholes. unfortunately, whelan's seem to have hired a couple of shoddy gangsters lately, who are just as bad - if not worse (they seem to have personal vendettas against certain people ... ahem) than the TBMC crowd. that set (i'm too lazy to read back over who posted it) sounds pretty damn cool, if they played something along the lines of that i'd be there nearly most thursdays.

Advertisement