Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startup Apps

• 12-07-2001 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

I've a miserly 64MB RAM so I decided to stop a few things which were loading on startup

Ahead InCD starts up after windows (has a nice splash screen and everything), there's no option to disable it as far as I can see

I can't find any ref to it in mscongfig -> startup tab

Can't find any ref to it in the registry either (runservices and all those) or win.ini or system.ini

The filename is ptudfapp.exe, renaming it didn't cause any errors and fair enough it didn't load but what I want to know is where the hell is it putting itself to startup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

In the start-up folder on your start menu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Maybe this is too basic an answer (!) but it wouldn't be in the Startup folder in the basic root Programs menu off the Start button (links to the Startup folder in C:\Windows\Startup)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

in Win.ini
    ->

[windows]
    load=
    run=

Check that (sysedit.exe does the trick)

RentZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Run MSCONFIG.
    Now you can edit all sorts of wonderful stuff.
    Just go to the Startup, and you can tick off the stuff you don't want.
    Have fun, but not too much. biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Killian.. go back and read the third line in his post smile.gif

you could do worse than to use Find to try and locate a file with that program name in it.

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 13-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Startup Manager, a handy (tiny) application takes care of the lot... I use it all the time...

It's available here.

Bard
    I've got a plan... and it's as HOT... AS MY PANTS!!!" - Lord Flashheart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Oooops, sorry.
    I didn't read that properly.
    Cheers Kali. biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Straker

Another thing to do (on top of the options already discussed:

Use regedit. Do a search for "run", "run service", "run once" keys, then ...

Put a ";" in front of all the entries except explorer, and systray.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Thanks Guys

BNC/Red Moose, I'm bad but I'm not that bad wink.gif

Renton, 4th line of my post

Kali, did that, only turns up the actual executable (in system folder), as I said I renamed it as a temporary measure

Bard, Cheers, I'll see if that turns up anything this evening

Straker, I didn't search but went straight to windows current version run whatever keys, I'll search later in case I missed one

I though I knew all the places an app could place itself to start, tad worrying that I appear to have missed at least one, I can just uninstall it but I don't want a less friendly app doing the same thing in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Did a little look in google, This seems promising (go to response 21), this may also be pertinent.

[This message has been edited by Longfield (edited 13-07-2001).]

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement