Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Relationships do not concern me"

• 24-05-2002 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

A good friend of mine, ever the hedonist, has a saying taken from Star Wars. When Darth Vader tried to follow the Falcon into the asteroids he said "Asteroids to not concern me Admiral". My mate has the same philosophy on chatting up women.

He never minds if the woman is going out with someone, engaged or even married he will say in his Darth Vader voice - "Relationships do not concern me Gordon". Personally I couldn't do that myself as I couldn't have the burden of breaking up a relationship on my head.

Anyway, what concerns you?

Chatting people up: Do you... 62 votes

Look to see if there\'s an engagement ring?
    0% 0 votes
    Not give 2 hoots if they are single or married?
    51% 32 votes
    Prefer to sit alone, over there in the corner being \"celibate\"
    48% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I always check to see if there's a ring and I don't like brawling either so I never even attempt to hit on someone elses gf ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TBH, I don't think the fact that someone is attached should make a difference to the predator. Being in a long-term relationship myself, I don't go mental when I see some guy chatting up my gf, mainly because she doesn't reciprocate, she just says 'Yeah, yeah' or will introduce said guy to her single friend. And when I walk up, he goes. My gf is good looking, she can't help it :p. Plus other males tend to be scared of me, 'cos I'm not a small guy (although I'm pretty much a pacifist (sp)).

The ownness should really be on the attached. If they're willing to cheat on their partner, then their relationship isn't worth ****. The predator has every right to make an attempt, even if he sees she's taken, because if s/he is going to cheat, then they might as well not be attached. Am I making sense?

I know of a good-looking girl and boy team who spend their weekends in clubs 'breaking up cute couples'. Personally I don't see how this is possible - it certainly wouldn't work on me, but it is very callous. Jealousy I would think.

:)

(Of course the above only applies to anonymous people. Friends must respect relationships, of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

Whatever situation they are in, it wouldnt bother me. If I 'm not in a relationship myself at the time and am looking to go out and have some fun and if she is willing then I dont see a problem. They only time I wouldnt hit on a woman is if she had previously or still is going out with one of my mates. If they are interested in meeting up with someone and they are married or in a relationship then that is there choice, I would never have an ongoing affair with someone who is in a relationship. Thats just too messy and not worth the hassle.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I always look for a ring...then I go and sit in the corner
    I am afraid I would like to chat someone up but I am just too afraid of rejection so I scope out the room for the apparently single, sit alone in the corner and hope someone will come over to me...has happened a few times but not to my benefit
    ahh well, I guess I will remain celibate,
    tisn't all that bad really, ok that's a lie ;)

My problem is that even if they are not wearing a ring, I can never spot the single ones, I always pick the one who is "Dating" someone, and we always get on great too which makes it hard...after talking we both feel a connection, but then in walks the other and it's all over...oh well, it's these situations that make me want to go and live far away in the country away from people all together, no complications, Just life...simple.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I would never pursue a relationship with a person who was already involved. I also would never go after someone one of my friends fancied b4 me, or just broke up with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

If the person u are chatting up is in a relationship it is them doing the braking up not u....
    If they accept the offer it is them doing the destriying.

I hate 3rd parties being blamed for relationship problems... It not their relationship. They need not worry about it

"All is fair in love and war"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

its been a long time since i was out on the pull, but i wouldnt go for anyone who had a partner, purely becuase im one of those who is a great believer of 'do onto others'.
    id rather not have my gf chatted up, and i would chat someone elses girlfriend up. i will certainly chat to someone. i will buy them a beer if we are having a good conversation and i want it to continue, but i wouldnt be actively seeking to get into someone elses pants.

besides, someone was right about if someone who has a partner is willing to do the dirt then there is something fundimentally wrong with either ther person, or the relationship. if the relationship is all but over, then i dont think it makes much of a difference, as long as knowone gets hurt. if its the person, then there is probably a history of infidelity and someone to be avoided (unless out for a shag only).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ah, I definitely look for a ring. Why try to open the door, if you can already see the lock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I always look for a ring, some for strange reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Relationships do not concern me full stop. As in I haven't any interest in having one. I'm a normal, 20 year old guy, but I'm just not concerned with "meeting someone"; if it happens it happens if it doesn't so what.

Sometimes I think I'm the only one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

azezil wrote:
    I would never pursue a relationship with a person who was already involved. I also would never go after someone one of my friends fancied b4 me, or just broke up with.
    LOL!!
    Ooh how times change :)

*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

seamus wrote:
    TBH, I don't think the fact that someone is attached should make a difference to the predator. Being in a long-term relationship myself, I don't go mental when I see some guy chatting up my gf, mainly because she doesn't reciprocate, she just says 'Yeah, yeah' or will introduce said guy to her single friend. And when I walk up, he goes. My gf is good looking, she can't help it :p. Plus other males tend to be scared of me, 'cos I'm not a small guy (although I'm pretty much a pacifist (sp)).

The ownness should really be on the attached. If they're willing to cheat on their partner, then their relationship isn't worth ****. The predator has every right to make an attempt, even if he sees she's taken, because if s/he is going to cheat, then they might as well not be attached. Am I making sense?

I know of a good-looking girl and boy team who spend their weekends in clubs 'breaking up cute couples'. Personally I don't see how this is possible - it certainly wouldn't work on me, but it is very callous. Jealousy I would think.

:)

(Of course the above only applies to anonymous people. Friends must respect relationships, of course)
    That right there is the defense Im going to use in future, will definitely seem logical to any critics.

But of course I dont believe it myself. Because while I can think of girls like that, they were going to cheat it might as well be me. I can also think of girls who didnt want to cheat, who I believe loved their bf and later got back with them, who simply werent strong enough to resist the pressure and I must say manipulation of an intelligent and persistent predator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

That right there is the defense Im going to use in future, will definitely seem logical to any critics.

But of course I dont believe it myself. Because while I can think of girls like that, they were going to cheat it might as well be me. I can also think of girls who didnt want to cheat, who I believe loved their bf and later got back with them, who simply werent strong enough to resist the pressure and I must say manipulation of an intelligent and persistent predator.
    Yep, I've seen them girls before, whether they be 14yrs, or 30yrs...they will all give in to a good predator, no matter how dedicated they are.
    There are very few girls that can hold into the pressure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Gordon wrote:
    He never minds if the woman is going out with someone, engaged or even married he will say in his Darth Vader voice - "Relationships do not concern me Gordon".

I find it hard to believe a man who goes on the pull with sci fi points on his mind pulls at all :D

Anyway, no, I couldnt give a ****, its every man for himself far as Im concerned.

Tupacs diss opener "Thats why I ****ed your bitch you fat mother****er!", now THATS a quote for your friend to base his belief on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Elessar wrote:
    Relationships do not concern me full stop. As in I haven't any interest in having one. I'm a normal, 20 year old guy, but I'm just not concerned with "meeting someone"; if it happens it happens if it doesn't so what.

No, youre not the only one. Im 23 and for some reason I have never been to concerned about trying to meet someone. I just could never be bothered, it always seems like the best girls you meet who you might want to have a relationship with are already taken.

Recently, however, I have been feeling the urge to meet someone, but Im still not going to do anything about it :D Just wait for miss right, like always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Gordon wrote:
    Anyway, what concerns you?

That your friend has somehow convinced you he is a player despite quoting Star Wars.

Personally I wouldn't care about breaking up a relationship (other than my own) to chase after a woman I wanted. That is unless they have kids or he has the ability to make me suffer. In the latter case I might transgress anyway if I wanted something serious.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I used to be afraid to talk to anybody, however now I will just go up and start talking. I can usually suss whether a b/f exists or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Wow this thread is old. :)

I don't really chat women up. It's not that I'm crap at it or anything, I just can't be arsed most of the time. The ideology behind the whole thing is a bit mad.

What ever you do when you first meet a girl your interested in is considered chatting her up. It doesnt mean using crude one liners. If you dont chat someone up you'd either be a rapist or alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

To be honest, I don't check for a ring as I don't see the need too. If a girl has a fella she will just let me know and that will be it!

As for dudes who will stay hunting girls with fella, as seasmus says, it's all well and good to play the predator….but you need to make sure you can handle yourself when the old male dominance battle comes up.

I distinctly remember a guy who knew in college, who being all hard with the ladies, stood outside a club one night and cried because he thoughts someone was going to beat him up for "shaggin his bird."

Just like everything in life, you need to accept the consequences of your actions!!! :D

• Advertisement

So its ok to steal someones girl so long as you're able to beat the **** out of him afterwards as well?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote:
    I know of a good-looking girl and boy team who spend their weekends in clubs 'breaking up cute couples'. Personally I don't see how this is possible - it certainly wouldn't work on me, but it is very callous.
    there is a theory that this sort of thing results in stronger couples as the weaker parings are broken, leaving the well matched. still makes you want to stake them out on an ant trail though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Elessar wrote:

Oh trust me, you are not alone. I don't exactly want a 'relationship' at the moment, becuase in my mind it's just not worth the hassel. Sure I go out with friends have a laugh, but thats it. I like my solitude:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement