Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease line pricing

Options
  • 24-05-2002 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Does anyone know the pricing of leased lines (not ADSL) at the most common speeds, i.e. 512Kb, 1Mb, 2Mb?

Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭niallsmart

I should have mentioned I am near Sandyford Industrial Estate and the existing wiring between me and the exchange is probably of sufficient quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

A while back, maybe around december (before euro came in anyway) I emailed eircom for prices for leased lines.

No reply

The about a week later I mailed from another address pretending to be a company "quite interested in obtaining a leased line for heavy duty internet activity" or something to that effect.
    After a few emails a very helpful woman (clearly looking for a sale) made me out quite a good price booklet that explained how leased lines work and nice diagrams and all showing how they are hooked up to New York and such.

I was also confronted by a big "CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT" thingy on the front which says im basically not allowed tell anyone about what's inside without getting permission from eircom first. crazy stuff really.

anyway, heres the prices from the quote list i got :)
    Please note, all prices in punts. convert it yourself, taking me long enough to write this out.

Once Off Costs
    Service Registration: 500
    Connection Charge: 1,500 - 3000 depending on speed

Access and set-up costs
    Annual Charges:
    Leased Line Connection Charge (physical line)

64kps: 3182
    128kps: 3965
    256kps: 6665
    512kps: 9718
    1MB: 15572
    2MB: 20630

Internet Connectivity Charge

64kps: 3500
    128kps: 5000
    256kps: 8500
    512kps: 15000
    1MB: 22000
    2MB: 35000

Once off charge for hardware
    Cisco 1700 series router with WIC card for ISDN backup: 1750

Also, any consultancy required of implementation onsite will be charged at 850 per day

There you go. Hope you apprectiate this cos so far its my longest post on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

so by what u said one would require to buy both options to actual use it the line and the internet connectivity? cause if one only had to pay for one that 64k line would actually be cheaper than my isdn useage probally

yes, afaik you need both

buying the line alone will give you just that, your own big fat ass phone line all to yourself. (wheee)

internet connectivity connects you directly to the eircom servers via that line so its only you on it, no other traffic, and its nice :) hence the whole point of a leased line

also, at 64kps id imagine it would be a bit faster than single line isdn (someone confirm that pls?)

i can forward the email, it contained a acrobat thingy which was the brochure, if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

The line charge for a 2Mb should be €10k - €12k if your in Dublin. The port charge will vary from €10k to €30k depending on the ISP you use. You get what you pay for though so if you choose the likes of Esat you can expect to get better connectivity than one of the cheaper ISPs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

What if you were to put a 802.11b anntennae and box on the roof of the NOC of a smaller (and tehrefore hopefully more flexible) ISP?
    Should cut out the cost of the leased line, and be easier for the ISP - not having to hire contracters to lay the line etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Zyox

also, at 64kps id imagine it would be a bit faster than single line isdn (someone confirm that pls?)

Yep it has to do with contention ratios. When you are connecting via dialup connection, your packets are contending with the packets of other dialup users for a given amount of bandwidth. With the dedicated line, the contention ratio (users to bandwidth) is lower so the over all quality *should* be higher.

However the prices that Eircom have been putting out have traditionally been so far up its digestive tract that they are coming out its corporate mouth.

In this two bit country, leased line connectivity had always been too expensive. It took the introduction of some competition to the market for the prices to fall but Eircom still tries to fsck any unsuspecting punter it can. Then again, Eircom is about to get fscked in a big way when those job cuts hit as the vulture capitalists realise the real cost of their 'bargain'. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by SyxPak
    What if you were to put a 802.11b anntennae and box on the roof of the NOC of a smaller (and tehrefore hopefully more flexible) ISP?
    Should cut out the cost of the leased line, and be easier for the ISP - not having to hire contracters to lay the line etc.

They do. :) It is Fixed Wireless Access. Esat uses it and I think a few Dublin operations like LEAP are beginning to use it as well.

The ISPs tend to rely on Eircom for the leased line connectivity and generally do not lay them unless the connection is close to their fibre, as far as I know.

Regards...jmcc

sorry i forgot to mention that those leased line prices that i posted are for myself as an individual (afaik) and represent the cost of having the line in cavan

ps. does the line just go to nearest exchange or whats the story?

EDIT: I forgot to mention also that I've uploaded the price catolouge thing to http://homepage.eircom.net/~davidconnolly/leasedline.doc and its a word file, not .pdf
    (dont go telling eircom i sent you that, even those employees of eircom :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Another option for the internet port is a 'pay as you go' model which workd well if you also have colocation/dedicated server requirements.

ie: you run a leased line from your office/gaff/whatever to your local data centre, where you have your servers. Then you share the same internet connectivity as your servers are using (while benefiting from free transfer between your office and colocation machines). It often works out cheaper that a 'standard' internet port, and allos you burstable connectivity which you pay for by the GB of transfer,

2c :)
    Stephen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Also, the line lease charges depend hugely on your location and the carrier (esat or eircom).

In a business park/industrial area or in well connected regions of cities, etc, you can usually get lines much cheaper - ie: in the region of 200€ per month per 128kbps for the line rental.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    Also, the line lease charges depend hugely on your location and the carrier (esat or eircom).

Indeed. Just recently I was quoted a bit over 45,000 Euro for a 2mb connection from Esat. I did want it installed in a place about 15m mins out of the city tho (Cork) so that probably explains the high price. Now I must get a quote for a 2mb line on wireless.

Advertisement