Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GF4 extreme cooler

Options
  • 24-05-2002 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

cool but a shaggin waste of PCI slots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yeah but if ya don't use them it'd be great.
    Its got a tec on it aswell so it runs at 14*c i think it was

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes, lets all run out and do this mod, cos its really intelligent. Rather more sensible is to install a cooler which blocks 1 pci slot. Works for me.

It's unbalanced cooling too, unless mounted in a desktop - which very few serious machines are these days.
    The card will be horizontal, the heat will flow downwards (heat travels from high temperatures to low temps - like wind and air pressure).
    The fins located on the oppostie side to AGP pins are much shorted then the inner ones, and you'll have a hotspot there.
    Better just to have a staright heatsink taking up one slot and have a fan or 'card cooler' above em, or just efficient airflow or heatsink material.
    Water/refridgerant cooling system woud be better.
    This is a prime example that conventional cooling is coming to an end for higher spec consumer systems.

5 Pci slots- where will your SCSI, 2 Nics, Sound card, Capture card and Firewire card go?

• Advertisement

Yes its totally stupid bit its a great idea.
    Also its a 60mm delta which would be at 45Dba

Its totally stupid, completely impractical, hence it isn't a great idea. ( Oh wow, it looks cool, thats great) It is not practical in the slightest.

Its an aircooled tec.
    Thats a great achivment.
    Or are you saying you can air cool a tec with a heatsink and fan thats smaller?

Aircooled tec was done years ago, with the alpha p3125, and a leufkens 80w peltier kit. But it didn't block any pci slots. These days, peltiers are only useful with watercooling so you can fit other stuff in the case as well.

Yea but as you said years ago.
    The new cards and chips produce more heat.
    I'm not saying its a good idea to do it but they tried it on a €500 card aswell.

• Advertisement

Erm, that geforce4 mod uses an alpha p125 heatsink, an earlier, smaller version of the p3125 without the copper inlay.

I'd be intrested in the other one that didnt block any pci slots.
    U got a link or a distrubutor?

Well I said I have one which blocks 1 pci slot, its just a socket 7 heatsink epoxied on with artic silver thermal epoxy, and the airflow from the 120mm fan in the front of the case hits it, and it runs nice and cool. 1 pci slot is a lot less than 5.

Originally posted by Gerry
    Aircooled tec was done years ago, with the alpha p3125, and a leufkens 80w peltier kit. But it didn't block any pci slots.

Also i used to have a Coolermaster TBird sink on my G/card. only took up 3 pci slots and had to have the pc upsidedown.

But is your one tec cooled?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

ok if I start blocking up anything more than one pci slot with cooling then I start to worry about my mental stability loike 'N stuff... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I was thinking about getting a proper GF4 watercooler and using one of my 156W TECs on it.... nice Waterblock for the job here:

https://www.overclockershideout.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=o&Product_Code=VASG&Category_Code=VCWC

GF4V3-2.gif

Much more efficient\elegant too.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

nice idea - bad implementation

i for one could not do with blocking my pci slots- i use all five of mine atm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

*drools on the waterblock Gf4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

That cooler is very tasty.. very much in keeping with the original cooler shape.. excellent :D

Putting a big heavy amount of equipemnt on the card will put eormous strain on the agp finger array too, specially during transport. You;'d need to give it extra support

• Advertisement
Advertisement