Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD Rom not recognised

• 24-05-2002 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

I'm installing windows 98 from a formatted hard drive,but I cannot get the cd rom drive recognised.It keeps telling me that the driver is missing,even though I know I have it,as well as "all porpose"drivers on the hard drive,and on a different floppy.
    The exact error message is "No valid CDROM device drivers selected"
    Any ideas?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Probaly nothing to do with it but is the cable in properly.
    It happened to me once.
    It sees the CD but it cant communicate with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Yep,I've checked all the cables and even plugged the cd into the IDE 1and the HD into IDE 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Its been a while since my Win98 days but i think this is a autoexe.bat and config.sys problem. Open both the files and have a look round for clues(mscdex).

Also try deletnig these files(C:\) and remove your cd drive in device manager then rebbot.

hope this helps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

well, it definitely sounds like you are getting an mscdex error, because it can't find a real mode cd rom driver, or it is being given the wrong device string as a parameter. Is the problem you are getting during, or after the install? If it is after the install, as pcirl said you should delete config.sys and autoexec.bat. It more than likely is after the install, since you say you are installing from the hard drive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

go to www.bootdisks.com and get an XP or ME bootdisk
    and use that to boot to Dos the install 98 from DOS.
    Xp has better cd rom driver .
    Kdja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

For a more local site to get boot disks from go here
    [shameless advertising] http://www.pcirl.com/resource/boot.asp [/shameless advertising]

Although i don`t have the xp disks, I eventually will get them together and post them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

That's illegal content there (unfortunately, as it's dead handy)

Advertisement