Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Wars question for you

• 24-05-2002 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Emperor Palpatine maintains life in the orginal trilogy by using the force, yet he is not a very old man in the current trilogy and time period between the two trilogys most be only 20 - 25 years, since luke needs to grow up. Why oh why does he even bother using the force since he is not a really really old man yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

Well obviously it's because he suffers from terminal liver failure as a result of having to play host to so many Imperial Banquents.

The other possible answer is that maybe he is in fact a quite old man in this new trilogy and the force has already kept him alive for ages. You don't think he learned all those Dark Jedi tricks through the open university while he did his day job as a Republican Senator?

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Open University never thought of that one.

I don't think so, since he would have to had a history on Naboo to become a member of a senate. So he most have aged. Although I suppose it would be possible that he projected himself to be aging while he worked his way up through the political ranks.

I don't think so, since he would have to had a history on Naboo to become a member of a senate.

How much of a history does he need? Remember he is a Jedi. Dark ones can use the mind trick just as well as the light ones. Basically he doesn't have too hard a time creating an identity from himself on Naboo.

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

Mind trick only works on the weak minded, plus he'd have to trick a whole population, unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Ide say tis that the dark side turns him really old and evil looking but also keeps him alive. He did look much more than 10 years older in AOTC.

• Advertisement

According to www.starwars.com there is a fair bit of distant between attack of the clones and next one so... that explains that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by GreenHell
    Mind trick only works on the weak minded, plus he'd have to trick a whole population, unlikely.

That is pretty much what he does!! It as much as says so in the film.. firstly the Jedi's ability to use the force is diminished.. secondly none of the Jedi.. even Yoda know he is the Sith Lord... they should be able to sense that.. we are told by Dooku that he is in control right under their noses... Yoda maybe suspects him by the end of the film from the look he gave him at the end..

The Jedi can't sense the dark side because the force is unbalanced in the siths favour, thats way they need Anakin to bring balance back to the force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you never actually see any member of the Dark Jedi use the mind trick. It seems to be exclusively Good Jedi only. Same way lightning bolts is dark side only. Btw if Anakin is to kill Dooku in order to become Vader, but Dooku is clearly vastly stronger than him, with his whole bolts of energy etc AND Anakin is supposed to be hardy, how comes as Vader he never gets any energy attacks? Oh its mind boggling...

Ivan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I think the reason for the emperor being so old looking and gnarled is that he's so deep in the Dark Side, it's consuming his body. In the graphic novel 'Dark Empire' (1 or 2, I can't remember), the emperor clones himself for just that reason, he has such great power in the dark side that it withers away his body too quickly.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ivan
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you never actually see any member of the Dark Jedi use the mind trick. It seems to be exclusively Good Jedi only. Same way lightning bolts is dark side only. Btw if Anakin is to kill Dooku in order to become Vader, but Dooku is clearly vastly stronger than him, with his whole bolts of energy etc AND Anakin is supposed to be hardy, how comes as Vader he never gets any energy attacks? Oh its mind boggling...

Ivan

Anakin is a very young and a very strong jedi, in the years that pass between AOTC and the next one, Anakin will be sufficent to kick Dooku arse, but if he is going to kill him, he will fall into the dark side and become even more powerful again!!!

Why use energy attacks? Dooku has to use Light Sabre against Obi wan and Yoda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

We all know Anakin's deal. He's the best Jedi there will be. When he turns to the darkside. Now he's just a kid who's confused and can't control his powers. Obi-Wan warned him! :)

Let's not get into the Emperor and his clones, this will probably "ruin" what we "may" get to see in Ep 7,8,9. It's a very interesting story though. And yes, the dark side is the reason he's so crusty looking. Remember what Vader looked like under his mask. Not a pretty sight.

And yes I agree with Ivan. The mindtrick is a light power. It's used by Good Jedi. There are dark powers. They're used by the Dark Side. Powerful Jedi wouldn't use force powers on each other as much. They can resist them, or force power them right back. Lightsabers are the way to go, baybee. Saber on saber duel. It's also more dramatic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I reckon the dark side can use the mind trick.. but they have never needed to! Vader had a much better option as the mind tick tends to work on weak minded muppets... His intimidation and using the force to crush a mans throat is a much better way of getting what you want... also makes the chances of a promotion very good in the empire.. short lived as it might be....

Wonder will Bobba fet be in the next one.. and will he be grown up and look like his father Jango (since they are the same person really...)

Me thinks a certain Solo could be in it, since his educated at an imperial accademy in everything.

The thing with force powers I think is that there not exculsive, but if you can kill a man, why bother tricking him into going home.... would be a dark side point of view "naa I'll just kill you".

I was pretty sure that a Dark Jedi used the mind trick in one of the books. I can't remember exactly and I'm not a big enough fan to care.

On the issue of the making of Episodes 7,8,9. I remember Lucas being asked in an interview when he was going to make them, aparently he isn't. The interview would have been about the time episode one was released so the information is probabally out of date.

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

dark side and light side can both use the same powers, the point is a jedi will use his powers in defence and to do as little harm as possible, just as a dark sider will try to hurt people.

its painted out as a finer line in the latest books when jaina solo reacts to the death of her brother by frying one of her enemies with lightning, she then brushes with the darkside for the next month or so before finally realising what she had done...

Advertisement