Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

probs booting . could be power prob

• 13-07-2001 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

well im trying to fix my friends computer . he sez its a 300 w psu and in the computer at present i have a v3000 axia chip 30 gig hd 128 pc 100 abit kt7 it wont do anything . the fans are moving around the board it looks and sounds as if its about to start up but theres nothn going to the screen . and it dosent seem to be accessing the hard drive .

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

just got up the main screen where it auto detects the drives . it said the computer chip was the wrong one and when i was about to go into the bios it powered off the screen and keyboard . but cpu fan and psu keep going .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

can you get into the bios?
    sounds like the power is working anyway.
    does it detect all the drive on the bios screen.
    what ram count does it give you? is it right?
    try reseting defaults in the bios.
    does it chop and change what you have?
    try changing the cmos battery.
    tell us what happens next and might think of something else.
    what computer chip is wrong/
    whats the actual error message/

its cutting out when im in the bios . i have the hd unplugged now and still is doing it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

could be either your cmos battery or your bios is buggered in some way.
    if you cant boot you cant flash it either.
    try the battery, if not, im not sure if you can replace bios's. maybe you can. ive never heard of it.
    unless someone else has heard of this.
    have you unplugged all peripherals.
    just leave ram, processor, graphics card and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its normal for it to not detect the cpu speed correctly, don't worry about that. Make sure you have the heatsink mounted properly, and that the fan is plugged into the fan2 connector on the motherboard. Other than that, I dunno. Your friend "says" its a 300w psu. Well how about checking it then?

• Advertisement

thx lads prob fixed its self dono what was going on . now im think of overclocking it while he aint lookin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Fan2 gerry ? i know on the one of my mb here it has a safety function that cuts the power if your Hs/Fan aint connected to fan1 on the motherboard smile.gif

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Sorry, I always think of it as fan 2 since it is farther away from the cpu. Fan 1 it is.

Advertisement