Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No BB interactive for ROI

• 24-05-2002 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

Viewers in the Republic of Ireland will be pleased to know that not only can they not view Big Brother highlights on Channel 4 every night on Sky Digital, but now also cannot access the interactive features on E4 during the live programme...

Is that another campaign I hear coming..?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

I think what you need is a FTV card.
    Although the game option is crap in interactive.
    You arn't missing much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

I didn't think an FTV card got E4?
    Anyways.. aren't there live cameras again this year?
    Can't access anything past the start screen with an ROI card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 teddy2002

I called Sky and the operator told me there are technical difficulties for E4 Ireland. He said it should be working in the near future.
    I don't know if that's true or not because Sky operators usually tell lies if they don't know the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

E4 Ireland? i didn't think that was starting for another week. if you read the Terms And Conditions on the BB interactive it says that anyone outside of the UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands (?) and the Republic of Ireland shouldn't be watching it. the Republic of Ireland should be scratched off that list. who in this country would want to see a screen telling us we can do nothing. E4 is a subscription service, we pay to watch it yet we can't get the full benefits of the channel. Irish customers have been shafted again :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Given that the voting option needs the digibox to be connected to a phone line, they may be waiting until the Irish interactive service is launched.

That way Irish viewers would have full access to voting and games. And you can be sure that we'll pay for the privilege just like UK viewers.

I'm sure we'll also be able to vote in the Sky News polls - I'm all aquivver with excitement !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭trekster

cant they just put up the four feeds i dont want to watch hollyoaks.

Originally posted by trekster
    cant they just put up the four feeds i dont want to watch hollyoaks.
    agreed !!!
    Could anyone from NI or GB tell me if they have access to the "delayed" feeds via interactive on E4 when the red dot is up.
    The first option says Live/vote
    So I'm presuming that when you dont have to vote on an eviction,you get into the feeds??
    Neither is available here in ROI for a channel we are paying for:mad:

Last year by the way it was not untill the half way mark or thereabouts in the series before the RED DOT and the interactive screens were introduced.
    They are better than Stupid games and who wants to waste money betting on this anyhow...???
    It's prún we want this year:p :D:p
    mm
    *edit* I've just checked out the website-You have to pay there for access to the feeds:mad:
    I'm excercising my little part of the laws of supply and demand.....anything more than free is too much for this marginal customer so I aint paying...!
    Might try the two weeks free trial option if theres prún though:D :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

It looks like if they can't make money from you, you can't watch it. I'll bet they are waiting for money-spinning interactive features to become available like voting, games, etc.

I hope I am proved wrong, because I was addicted to the last BB and was looking forward to the new one.

Well a quick trip over to dig spy and reading the threads there-In the UK, they have everything we had last year.
    Indeed their biggest worry seems to be how to get the BB feed windows to occupy the full screen.

Sky second tier support told me tonight that It is Channel four who have blocked interactive for ROI and not Sky
    Do they not like us or what?????????
    This makes me *very* mad:mad: :mad: :mad:
    mm

Sky second tier support told me tonight that It is Channel four who have blocked interactive for ROI and not Sky

I don't think it is Channel 4 because in the terms and conditions section of Big Brother Interactive it says the following:

"You may only view Big Brother interactive services and use the interactive services if the digital receiver you are using is located within the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland "

"Certain Services are not available in the Republic of Ireland"

So there are only suppose to be "Certain Services" unavailable to Republic of Ireland customers.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by teddy2002

I don't think it is Channel 4 because in the terms and conditions section of Big Brother Interactive it says the following:

"You may only view Big Brother interactive services and use the interactive services if the digital receiver you are using is located within the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland "

"Certain Services are not available in the Republic of Ireland"

So there are only suppose to be "Certain Services" unavailable to Republic of Ireland customers.
    Ok Bazal/endemol and channel four to be specefic.
    Channel four are the broadcaster though.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jishot

Guys,

Excuse my ignorance, But was this not the same last year when big brother started, im unsure as i did not have sky digital last year but i remember someone saying that this was the case for a while but i dont know if this was in the uk and ireland or just ireland alone. But like mm I checked the digi spy site this morning hoping to see that england was also encountering problems, alas that was not the case im thinking of emailing big brother to get to the end of this, Because big brother on e4 was a big selling point for me getting sky in the first place.

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

You probably all know this but there is no technical issue.
    I moved down here last year with a NI card and because of a f**k up by SKY I kept my UK subscription. (This is another very long and incredibly annoying story.) Until January of this year I still had, in effect, a UK card, I had series link and was able to use BB interactive last year. In January SKY fixed their error, I was actually using the TV guide as I was on the phone to SKY and saw it change as I watched. With one strike of the ENTER key my cool UK card became a neutered Irish card. Same card, same box still no telephone line connected just channels and services removed, how can there be a technical issue?

well guys sent an email to big bro, now I just sit around and wait to see if big brother will get back to me, may be waiting sometime.

any response will be posted up!

john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Corkdood

Does anyone have the big brother email address? Its time we all vented our feelings to them about the non availability of live streaming

the address from the web page is editor@bigbrother.channel4.com but be warned they may not respond as they are inundated with emails!!!! or so it says on the webpage

John

With one strike of the ENTER key my cool UK card became a neutered Irish card.

Yeah, Lifes a bummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SKYDIGI.20M.COM

Do you ROI subscribers pay the same as our uk users for SkyDigital, because u guys dont hardly get any thing do you i think the only good thing sky have done for you ROI subscribers is bring the RTE channel on sky for you why dont they let you have anything i dont get it.

Originally posted by SKYDIGI.20M.COM
    Do you ROI subscribers pay the same as our uk users for SkyDigital, because u guys dont hardly get any thing do you i think the only good thing sky have done for you ROI subscribers is bring the RTE channel on sky for you why dont they let you have anything i dont get it.
    we pay more than in the uk and get less-hows that for discrimination
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 qtzar

This email address does not seem to work...

Any others that we can try ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Try dot4@channel4.com

Hope this helps

it may also be worthwhile emailing big brotherlittle brother at bblb@channel4.com they may then take notice.

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

I called sky last night re Big Brother 3's interactive service in Ireland and was told that she had no information....

I went on to insist she enquire for me, and after a hold period of about 10 minutes, I was eventually told that the interactive service would not be available in Ireland this Year.

So once again the Irish customers are ditched.

V10 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I have sent an email to big brothers little brother. Not sure if anything will come of it but I'll let ye know.

Same here Shane,

Lets watch the big brother little brother programme tonight and see if anything is said, here's hoping.

John

I am less than hopeful as I requested a delivery receipt and a read receipt for the email which I sent at 12:15. Now three hours later and I have received neither.

According to DigitalSpy the interactive service was off for most of today to allow for updates.

Maybe we will now be able to access it :)

yep shane its been updated alright we now have a picture of the 12 in the lower left hand corner but thats it still everything else is unavailable to ireland. E4 would want to cop on since irish adverts start there on saturday they really can not expect us to sit down quietly.

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Has anyone thought of contacting 'Back Chat'on Channel 999 - it may take some time to appear but the compaint or problem would be officially registered

• Advertisement

Here's a reply from Backchat I got today.

Thank you for your email to Backchat regarding Big Brother on E4.

Unfortunately, the interactive facility on this programme is not available to viewers in the ROI, this decision was taken by Channel 4 direct.

Thank you for your interest in Sky.

Kind regards

Angela Hart
    Viewer Relations

Originally posted by teddy2002
    Here's a reply from Backchat I got today.

Thank you for your email to Backchat regarding Big Brother on E4.

Unfortunately, the interactive facility on this programme is not available to viewers in the ROI, this decision was taken by Channel 4 direct.

Thank you for your interest in Sky.

Kind regards

Angela Hart
    Viewer Relations

Well there you go :mad:
    Hows that for an answer:mad:
    Whats the point....theres no fun in this world anymore:( :(
    Unless you are British:eek:
    Or pretend you are;)
    We should take back their Guinness.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Camber

Sorrry if this a stupid question, since i haven't got a digibox yet.

But i was wondering if you can still see footage from the Big Brother house, even though it's not interactive?

when E4 broadcasts Big Brother we can see it.

Channel 4 needs a spanking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I was on the phone to a Channel 4 customer service rep who said that they were waiting to hear from Sky, but that the interactive was "very complex" and "it's definitely not happening in the ROI this year".

Not that I'm particularly bothered, but it's just another example of us being treated as second class subscribers again. :-(

Glenn

i tell u guys what really f**ks me off is that this saturday adverts appear on E4 as they have done for years on Channel 4 so they will gladly take the irish euro but screw us around like this im really bloody angry now:mad:

john

• Advertisement

but that the interactive was "very complex"

Well ok the game and betting options cannot be switched on until the interactive functionality is enabled in Ireland, but surely the livecams require no interaction with the phone line.
    They probably said if the Irish can't be tempted to vote or play the game, we won't give them live cams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

No sign of the red dot this morning.

Does that mean that the Irish version of E4 has started on the Irish EPG ? I haven't seen any Irish ads as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭trekster

yes it has i had to put e4 back in as a favourite and re enter all the e4 stuff in my personal palnner.

Theres loads of irish ads now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Excuse my lateness to this thread, hoping I dont need to start another one.

I have a 3 month old digibox and no red dot on E4.

My folks have a two week old digibox and a red dot on e4.

1. Have i missed an update or something by not having the phone plugged in?

2. Is there a way to force an update?

3. Does it make sense that I don't have the red dot? could it be my slightly older box?

I realize that the red dot doesnt work in ireland, but damnit, i should still have that red dot on my screen when bb is on e4 shouldnt i?

i had a look to see if the red dot was present on my box but no sign of it

• Advertisement

Almost every ad now on E4 is an Irish Ad, and the red dot is gone.

Channel 4 really are a cheeky lot. they'll bombard us with Irish ads, take the money from advertisers because people in this country will watch it and then shaft us by not giving interactive Big Brother. my sister aint pleased and i'm hearing nothing but giving out. what else are sisters for i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

I notice that when you save E4 in favourites it is now lost when you put in an FTV card.. showing that it is indeed a different version.
    The "Please Subscribe" screen says no channel description available on the Irish version also.

The teletext from page 300 on is headed E4 text rather than 4-tel on the UK version and when you switch your tv onto the channel the channel name banner shows "E4 Text" rather than "Channel 4 Television"

I finally got my FTV card switched on yesterday..
    C4 has red button during BB, no live option though.. just Quiz, Betting and Vote. I have ITV 1 Central on 103 and all the other versions in Other Channels... Just watched BBC N24 a minute ago... I'm happy anyway!

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    when E4 broadcasts Big Brother we can see it.

Channel 4 needs a spanking
    They do !,as people as *stupid* as those who won't provide the extra camera views via the red dot for ROI and talk about interactive being complex, are either being spitefull or are *Stupid*

Hey folks at Ch4 "interactive" implies interaction .
    Providing the screens for big Bro via the red dot in the same way as the BBC did for us here in ROI with Wimbledon and currently with the world cup- thats a *service*.
    Please understand the distinction.

And while I'm at it the show is sponsored by what is now a multi-national company with the second largest mobile phone customer base in ROI....
    Whats the problem????
    Spite:mad:
    Rant over
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ballydung

Hey guys

think yourselves lucky," I DONT HAVE THE OPTION TO COMPLAIN about rte, N2 etc "
    at least you can view channels from overseas I ONLY WISH I HAD
    THE CHANCE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IRISH CHANNELS.

feel better now i've got that off my chest

( Dont take take it to heart)

why would anyone want to complain about RTÉ. Eamonn Dunphys comments at the moment with the replys from Giles and Brady are worth the license alone. regarding Big Brother interactive, i would love to know the real reason for us here not having it. we do afterall pay a subscription to see the channel. we should be seeing the full benefits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by madman

we pay more than in the uk and get less-hows that for discrimination
    mm
    We don't pay a UK TV licence so we pay less and get less - but we still deserve to get the save service from E4 that the UK is getting. There should be no technical reason why we shouldn't get this. Even if the voting part of that screen doesn't work we can avoid it - like we try to avoid selecting "News 24" in BBCi (on my box it causes problems if you select a channel ither than BBC ONE or TWO from the menu in BBCi).

They should sort it out ASAP - if they could do it last year then why not now? Is E4 Ireland going to be on a different Transponder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Would I be paranoid in suggesting that the reason for our not getting the full service is because Endemol is owned by Canwest (along with 45% of TV3) and is this another infantile method of reducing competition for TV3 on the EPG. I saw somewhere that Channel 4 weren't the only culprits in this "plug-pulling". There was no problem last year - but then again TV3 wasn't on the EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rgill

Has anyone had any luck in trying to tune in the E4 interactive feeds?

And there i was thinking that with irish adverts going on E4, there would be no excuse for not having interactive but lo and behold they get rid of the red dot now. Any emails ive sent of have not been addressed at all (im now worrying that my tone may have been to harsh) because maybe the truth hurts. But im now seriously goning to bombard them with mail now untill i get a response.

john:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement