Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No BB interactive for ROI

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I am not sure if they are reading the messages at all. I still have not received a read receipt for the mail which I sent last week. There has not even been a delivery receipt.

More mails will be sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Just because you get a read receipt deos not mean its been read.A computer could read it and send an automatic reply. Plus read receipts might be turned off on their software or it might not support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

I have a UK sub and the four screens are just as bad as one. Why anyone would want to waste their time viewing this rubbish beats me. I consider viewing bb to be marginally more interesting than viewing a test card for several hours.

Irish viewers should consider themselves privileged to be spared 75% of this digital excrement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

1) people enjoy watching Big Brother. you should hear my sister

2) E4 is a subscription channel. i am paying the same as the UK viewer yet i am still getting less

I was watching E4 tonight and i was shocked to be shown a advertisment for the E4 interactive coverage on the irish version. It was shown during ER. It was some dickhead with a load of blowup dolls and some Heads of big brother people stuck on to them.
    He was the show "biggest fan".

I am not a fan of BB but i think E4 are reallying rubbing our faces in it.

Its saying "see what your missing". Its totally unfair. If E4 was an add on Channel i would drop it on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

E4 is on two transponders, I guess 12168v has the uk service and 11565v has the irish service.Wow you can watch the ads.Also looking at 12168v on a nokia9600 with dvb2000 software it shows up feeds so they are hidden in there somewhere,pity the piece of S*it digibox blocks anything interesting when you want to tune it. BBC use 12441v in same way.
    What we need is a pentacrypt cam with videoguard and a load of hex files..Eutopia methinks>
    Heres another funny one, put a bbc card in,select 205 then put irish card in,red button appears,push,interactive screen appears and the the rest wont work anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jishot

well guys in true sky style i only got a reply to my email to backchat today which stinks of a pfo letter employers send to people looking for jobs also looks like a template now for disgrutled irish viewers.

Dear John

Thank you for your email regarding Big Brother on E4.

Unfortunately, the interactive facility on this programme is not available
    to viewers in the ROI, this decision was taken by Channel 4.

Thank you for your interest in Sky.

Kind regards

Debbie Tant
    Viewer Relations

so the only difference with my letter and teddy2002s letter is the name at the end.

john

ps still waiting for a reply from big brother little brother, big brother themselves, channel 4 and E4. Im thinking of giving up now.

Originally posted by irishgeo
    I was watching E4 tonight and i was shocked to be shown a advertisment for the E4 interactive coverage on the irish version.

i'm also seeing ads for RI:SE, which of course is a programme on Channel 4. cable have Channel 4 but that is only through fortuitous reception :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

This is something I sent them.. have sent an email to all my mates asking them to email C4.E4.BB3 too.

wonder will I get a reply.

Hi

I am just writing to ask why I cannot fully interact with
    Big Brother on E4.

I pay the same subscription as my counterparts in the UK,
    and now have the option to watch adverts intended for the
    Irish market, but this new E4 Ireland is just a 'dumbed-down'
    version of E4 UK.

Misplaced adverts show previews for Channel4 programmes,
    a station which according to Channel 4 is not available to Ireland.
    (Ask NTL and Chorus cable operators how they can rebroadcast it).

I would like a response to my question why unlike last year can we not
    use Big Brother 3 Interactive on E4!?!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Marc Tierney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Great e-mail Marc; I've sent similar ones to them too but I've yet to see a reply :( I don't think they really care about ROI subscribers.

I've also noticed that they have a special Irish number set up for people over here to enter their 'Model Behaviour' competition. :confused: They really are an odd bunch.....

Glenn

Originally posted by marclt
    This is something I sent them.. have sent an email to all my mates asking them to email C4.E4.BB3 too.

wonder will I get a reply.

Hi

I am just writing to ask why I cannot fully interact with
    Big Brother on E4.

I pay the same subscription as my counterparts in the UK,
    and now have the option to watch adverts intended for the
    Irish market, but this new E4 Ireland is just a 'dumbed-down'
    version of E4 UK.

Misplaced adverts show previews for Channel4 programmes,
    a station which according to Channel 4 is not available to Ireland.
    (Ask NTL and Chorus cable operators how they can rebroadcast it).

I would like a response to my question why unlike last year can we not
    use Big Brother 3 Interactive on E4!?!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Marc Tierney

Marc,
    Thats great and to the point.
    Betcha, you'll get a reply along the lines of, there are technical issues etc...blah, blah, blah...
    Ie; a cop out answer the main aim of which will be the hope that the cries from the Irish will go away as they must only be ignored as we don't count :(:rolleyes: :(
    mm

If you look ata the channel 4 website and click on the contact us link. In there it says that becuase of the amount of emails they get it can take 6 weeks for a reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I assume that since the Irish and UK versions of E4 are now on different transponders, it actually is technically impossible to have the interactive option available on the Irish version without transmitting all the interactive stuff a second time on the new transponder. (Complicated sentence, but you know what I mean ?)

As Channel 4 won't want to spend extra money on the Paddies, we'll have to wait until both E4s are on the one transponder before there's any chance of us getting the full service. And even then they'll probably wait until the regular interactive services are up and running.

Basically, I wouldn't hold my breath right now.

why couldn't they have put the 2 E4's on the same transponder. there is plenty of room since the Film 4 channels were removed.

seeing as the 2 transponders are both on a vertical polarity couldn't BB interactive still be possible. all of this is surely against some EU law. one place getting less for the same money etc. etc.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

..and now according to another thread, Sky Active will be in action by the end of the month meaning that it would be technically possible for interactivity including voting:confused:

• Advertisement

Charles,

Please dont take this the wrong way but since E4 now take irish adverts (fair enough not that many yet) they should be able to pay for any costs they have to incur to get the service right. This whole adverts thing really gets to me since they allow advertisements on channel 4, a channel ROI are not even meant to have. Seems like the people in Channel 4 can contradict themselves a heck of a lot. But on a lighter note Marc ive sent the email too, but im resigning myself to the fact that interactivity just will not happen at all this year.

John

Originally posted by jishot
    Charles,

Please dont take this the wrong way but since E4 now take irish adverts (fair enough not that many yet) they should be able to pay for any costs they have to incur to get the service right. This whole adverts thing really gets to me since they allow advertisements on channel 4, a channel ROI are not even meant to have. Seems like the people in Channel 4 can contradict themselves a heck of a lot. But on a lighter note Marc ive sent the email too, but im resigning myself to the fact that interactivity just will not happen at all this year.

John

I'd have thought that it wouldn't be very costly at all for them to do it-it shouldn't mean a re-broadcast.
    A red button on the Irish E4 should redirect the digibox to the e4 active screens regardless of which mux they are on.
    Spite I reckon-They just don't like the Irish:mad:
    mm

It doesn't mean a rebroadcast. The BBC can manage to have interactive on all versions of BBC One and they don't need a sepatate interactive service for each one. The Wales and Scotland versions are on a different transponder to the England and NI versions.

On a slightly different topic. They may not want us to have interactivity but they will take Irish money for advertising and also for phone calls...

From big brother website

Irish voting numbers

Republic of Ireland viewers please use these numbers for your nomination and eviction votes
    Alex 1540 71 71 01
    Jonny 1540 71 71 02
    Lee 1540 71 71 03
    PJ 1540 71 71 04
    Sandy 1540 71 71 05
    Spencer 1540 71 71 06
    Adele 1540 71 71 07
    Jade 1540 71 71 09
    Kate 1540 71 71 10

Calls cost 30c. Mobile costs may vary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Just posted this to the Channel 4 Entertainment forum. I'll let you know if I get any replies, or if the post is deleted by C4:
    Channel 4/E4 don't like Irish viewers?
    posted by Glennus on 00:43 14/6/2002

This year the interactive coverage of Big Brother on E4 is unavailable to *paying subscribers* of E4 in the Republic of Ireland.

Why? Who knows. Channel 4 certainly won't tell us, be it via e-mail or telephone. The fact is that although the betting/voting/etc element is unavailable in Ireland, there seems to be absolutely no reason why the interactive feeds are not.

So the Irish ads version of E4 is on a different transponder to the UK version - so what? Pressing the red button should take you to the transponder where the feeds are, and if this isn't the case why not just tell us that instead of ignoring us/fobbing us off?

Although we have no real right to watch *Channel 4*, we in the Republic pay the same amount in subscription fees (even a little more...) as the UK for E4, so we are entitled to the full service; the same that your average UK viewer gets.

I don't know what C4's problem is with the Irish - after all they're happy enough to take our advertising money and the money they get from the BB voting numbers. For God's sake - an Irish man won BB last year, and the previous year an Irish woman was runner-up!

So c'mon Channel 4, give us the interactive feeds - we know you don't want to, but it's only fair.

I expect this post will be deleted, but it will only confirm my suspicions that Big Brother *is* watching - he just ain't listening.

Glenn

• Advertisement

Well done on a well scripted post Glenn, hope you get a reply, but I do think it will be deleted, keep us informed. But it now looks like the lack of interactivity is becoming standard for us irish as im sure youve all seen the bbc take of bbci on their world cup coverage now aswell. Im really getting sick of this, maybe sky dont think us paddys are able to cope with modern technology since we are still digging peat up in the bogs etc.

jishot

Advertisement