Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringing hard disks abroad

• 24-05-2002 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

hi, i intend to bring 2 hard disks with me to germany in a few weeks.
    I'm wondering about how airport scanners would affect the hard disks.
    Would the scanners damage the hard disks?
    would it be wise to pack them carefully in main baggage or put them in hand luggage ?
    I seen people before bringing laptops as hand luggage though :confused:
    thx for help in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Anytime i've seen it done you get a label that says "Do no X-Ray and then at the metal detector you hand it around the detector to the gaurd and they give it to ya on the other side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I've passed Disk drives through the x-ray machine with no problems on numerous occasions (both inside and outside of machines). Doesn't mean that all countries are the same though.

I'd put them in the hand luggage though. If you have no other baggage then you could even bring the machine on as hand luggage. Leave the monitors though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

As with Hobbes - I've passed loose hard discs, laptops and PCs through X-Ray fields with no trouble at all on many occasions. Just be sure they're packed carefully so there's no physical damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Ive brought my laptop through on numerour occasions with no probs - ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I had my desktop pc packed well with lots of padding etc, sent as normal luggage. No problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement