Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mansun can only dissapoint you

Options
  • 24-05-2002 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

*screams of rage and suchlike*
    that gig was SO BLOODY ANNOYING! i've waited how many years for mansun to come here and do a headlining/afforadable gig, and i paid out my 25 euro, and they played so little songs! The sound was awful, the only thing that you could hear was paul's amazing voice. The only reason i enjoyed the gig (up until the point there was NO ENCORE) was because i knew the songs so well. anywone who didnt know the songs (and they only played 5 older songs) must have thought they were the biggest pile of tripe ever. the new stuff sounded ok, but it isnt fair to deprive fans (particularly us in ireland who have waited for ages for them to play here) of the old songs. it would've been ok if they;'d played some more stuff, but they only played about 9 or 10 songs.
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Well there's a rant and a rave if I ever saw one! Must say that I enjoyed the gig, I liked their new stuff. But I agree that the lack of encore was a bit of a disappointment. What's happening to the world?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nim psychotic

I thought the gig was excellent, though yeah, they could've played a lot more of the older stuff (hello Eyeliner Boy? You and your bloody "you didn't really think they'd only play ten songs, did you?" Told you so!) This WAS meant to only be a tour to showcase new material. Also, they're known never to do encores. I know what you mean though - there was a lot I was waiting for years to hear that they didn't play. Did Paul say something about coming back in October? I hope so....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i know that bands tour to promote their new stuff, btu theyve got to play a bit of their old stuff to keep fans happy...if it wasnt for the old stuff, and the fans buying it, they mightent be working on the new material. i mean...5 of their old songs?!?!?!?!
    when radiohead played the last time, it was to promote their new album, and they played loads of new stuff but they also played laods of old songs too, and that way everyone was happy. i can't see mansun coming back to be quite honest, when they sold so few tickets this time, they would probably be advised against it as it would be a waste of time/money. And look how many times theyve played here in their career!!! twice!!!!.
    what was advertising like for the gig? i didnt see any [posters up about it. I found out from eyeliner boy on the message baord! Maybe thats why there was so few tickets sold, but....im still angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Good gig. Pity the security were such a bunch of ****s. About five (don't laugh!) of us were trying to get a mosh going and one of us got kicked out about 3 songs from the end. I wouldn't mind but I was probably doing more dangerous 'dancing' than the fella, I think he was just picked on cos he had bleached hair or something.

Chad is still cool, even as a bloated hairy Jim Morrison/Grizzly Adams bastard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

were absolutely ****ing amazing!!!!!!!! the one bad thing you could say was they didnt play enough old stuff (TAXLOSS!!!!!), but my god, the new songs they played were fantastic! back in october apparently too!!!!!:D :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

someones started a thread already!!! ah well!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

i was planning on going myself, but i'm kind of glad i didn't. most of the people (not on this boards thingy) i talked to said it was awful, worst gig ever ...etc etc, pretty much what the drowner said. i didn't see any posters for it either, but i'm thinking, if they do play again in october, there'll be even less people going ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I thought it was very good, even though they only played ten songs like eyeliner boy said, they were on for a good while.
    the sound was good the drink was muck not enough women or slut pops i hate the ambassador the jacks are shiitty(pardon the pun)

I had free tickets i dont care

.....oh, and did I mention I got one of Andies drumsticks after the gig? Heavy fuc.kers they are too! Very useful when walking down O'Connell street at night! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Weren't Woodstar supporting Mansun last week ??

What did you think of them ??

• Advertisement

They were ok. Nothing spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Woodstar----the Irish Mercury Rev????

yeah, being able to comment on it soberly...i want to be nice about the gig and say how much i enjoyed it, and that i LOVE paul draper's voice so so much but im just so annoyed at the lack of songs played that i cant!

woodstar...they had a couple of ok songs, but i didnt really like them. and i really didnt think the lead singer was a capable lead singer. cuteish though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Throusersnake

Half empty venue, no atmosphere at all, their set was too short,
    did'nt play enough old stuff, fair enough try out new stuff (some good new songs) but for their first headlining gig and the 25 euro
    in I felt cheated.
    Paul's voice was the best thing on the night the bands sound was like mush, They wont be back neither will I.

PS, Woodstar are very very average, ****e in fact.(despite what u
    read in sH**p***s)

EXACTLY!
    the only thing is, in their defence, their music would be quite hard to recreate in such detail live!!! you know, all the little extra bits and pieces that u can hear when u listen to the album. Sometimes, i only notice "noises' theyve made on ceertain songs now, and ive had the album,s since they came out! particularly with 6.

even still, even though iwas so dissapointed, id still see them again, i coudlnt not go, ive been a such a big fan for too long to not go! i'd regret it. I'm glad i went on friday, even if i was very dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Being a staunch fan myself (travelling to see them in London and then not getting tickets :( ), I was mightily pissed that they finally decided to play when I was outside the country. Oxygen.ie had been pluggin it for a while, I wouldn't say the publicity was that bad. Either way, glad to hear they might be back in October, hopefully by then they will have fleshed out the new stuff and might play a bit more older stuff. Hopefully. Although there is no point on a band doing a hits tour just to please the fans. The Manics never did encores for years and years, and I think Mansun have a reputation of being a no-encores band as well. If a band doesn't do encores, all the material is usually simplu incorporated into the set. Its a great feeling when a band comes out to do an encore, but if its not their thing its not their thing. Bands rerely do unplanned encores.

batemen i wasnt dissing them not doing an encore, if thats not their thing then thats fine, but i was dissapointed they didnt do one because there was so few songs to their set. they never did incorporate an encore into the actual set!

and i didnt need to hear loads of their old songs, i needed to hear more songs!!! I wanted to hear a mix, new stuff and old stuff!we did hear a mix, but just not enough!

Advertisement