Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would You Change to Mac if suitable price?

• 25-05-2002 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭

just wondering what people thought on the issue

Would You Change to Mac If suitable price? 22 votes

Yes! Straight away
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, If my software was supported
    27% 6 votes
    No!, I\\\'m strictly a Bill Gates Supporter
    36% 8 votes
    Eh whats a mac?
    22% 5 votes
    Pc\'s just suit me
    13% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

I'm in IT and work with both Macs and PC's everyday.. yes, macs are nicer looking, but thats about as far as it goes... their less reliable than Pc's, and are a bitch to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. Then again, they are extremely easy to setup on a LAN, but I stilll hate them :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

ive used a pc only over the years and don't think i would change since im so used to them.

about 5 months ago a mate asked me to set up a mac for a friend of his (his aunt i think) who was starting up a small publishing business in the town. i arrived and it was that nice looking tower thing. the setup consisted of plugging in monitor, plugging in machine and keyboard etc. then turning it on, inserting cds when told and that was it. the most user friendly setup ever and i hated it. you couldnt tell what it was doing or how it was doing it and it had no floppy disk drive(?!?!)

then all i had to do was add some ram to it and that was that. i played round with it a while, looked at desktop etc and just didnt like it. im used to all the windows things like keyboard shortcuts and just generally knowing how most things work on it and the mac is just no for me, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Most of the hate seems to come from people who have started off on Windows (note. a Mac is a PC as well).

They are easy to set up and run. If there are problems with them they are easier then windows to solve as well (if you have no experience on windows machines). Just requires learning about them and not assuming they work like windows.

Oddly enough Windows will be moving to a DB based disk operating system sometime soon in the future? Something that Mac has had for years.

Oh and it already runs a lot of windows stuff fine with the right software.

Just the price is the downside imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

well yes sorry about that the mac is a pc also..well some of them.
    by pc i was refrencing to ibm compatables :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I wouldn't replace my Windows machine with a Mac but I would and will use both side by side.
    Now i-Macs are cheap second hand I might get one this year or next summer in America I might pluck for an I-Book.
    I really do appreciate the design side of the Mac. Such elegant thought is put into them as a product, I just can't help but love them.

The way a G4 opens out to allow access to the motherboard-
    what price for design?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I started off on a really old version of dos.
    Then used Windows 3.11 along with the mac version a time and hated the mac.

Still using windows after various uses of MAC.
    Hated the iMac cause it was so slow.

I still think generic brand PC's are the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 obi-1

i am a pc user, who has had quite a lot of mac experiance networking etc and what i learned is;

mac's are for people whose vcr's are still flashing 12:00

pc's are tools and mac's are toys

no hard feelings :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

look cool but feel wrong. and why did they come with a one button mouse (the imacs) gRRRRRRRR hated those in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I dislike MacOS intensely. OS-X is a step in the right direction for the technical level of the OS, but it's a retrograde step for the interface - which was already lagging behind Windows and even Linux in terms of usability.

Given a drop in hardware prices, I would probably buy a Mac, but not for use as my primary workstation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by obi-1
    mac's are for people whose vcr's are still flashing 12:00

Hahaha, so true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Excelsior
    what price for design?

don't Dell boxes have that too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Personally, I cant stand macs.
    They are infuriating to use and in my experience not as stable as MAC fans make them out to be. The main reason windows is popular is because its easy to use- simple as that. I had to use one most of the time in work last year and my productivity was affected, just performing simple tasks that are so much more automated on windows.

With Win2k and XP, the stability has been improved greatly so the old "mac stabikity" addage is no longer relevant. Also, there's alot of software still unavailble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Excelsior
    what price for design?

I'll give you that, the G4 is extremely easy to open up and troubleshoot problems.. but thats what gets on my nerves. I seem to be opening up Mac's a hell of a lot more than PC's ... BAH

BTW, I've seen a number of PC's out now HP, Dell etc which no longer use Screws for the cover :D

Advertisement